Why should we donate blood?
Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person — it’s the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components — red cells, platelets, and plasma — which can be used individually for patients with specific conditions.
Regular blood donations made by healthy people are needed to ensure that safe blood will be available whenever and wherever it is needed.
Facts about Blood Donation
- Every two seconds, someone in the US needs blood.
- About one in seven people entering a hospital needs blood.
- Blood is always needed for the treatment of accident victims, cancer patients, hemophiliacs, and surgery patients.
- Blood cannot be manufactured.
- Only 37 percent of our country’s population is eligible to give blood, and less than 10 percent of those who can donate actually do donate annually.
- One donation can potentially save up to three lives.
- Blood needs are high – see this list of conditions that rely on blood donations.
There are a few standing opportunities to donate blood in Frisco, as well as many special blood drives throughout the year. If you’re aware of another place to donate blood or plasma in the immediate area, please leave us a comment.
Carter BloodCare – Frisco
4350 Main St #105
Frisco, TX 75033
American Red Cross
Year-round, can find local blood drives in Frisco and the surrounding area, sponsored by the American Red Cross. Often our local hospitals, sports teams, churches, and other organizations host blood drives. Simply enter your zip code in their search and current events will be listed for you. Find a blood drive in or near Frisco. “There’s no substitute for blood. When a patient receives blood, it was given in advance by a generous donor.” – American Red Cross
Battle of the Badges
“When the community gives blood, everybody wins” is the motto of this annual summer blood drive supported the Frisco Police Department and the Frisco Fire Fighters. The “battle” challenges Frisco residents to give blood and cast ballots for their favorite badges. The 2020 event is July 17-18 at several locations in Frisco. Get the details on the City of Frisco website.
Upcoming Blood Drives
August 15: Friendship Church Blood Drive, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Visit redcrossblood.org and search “FriendshipFrisco”.