You know what really grinds my gears?

kenny6

Gold Member
Honestly, I think I have gotten out and pumped gas for the wife when she was driving, but it's no big deal to her. I would have to stop her and say "wait, let me do it". If I don't though she wouldn't really care.

ashwi

Diamond Member
Pumping gas, really? Is it that big a deal? Seems to me its like putting your shoes on. Just something you have to do to get where you're going.

Do y'alls husbands tie you're shoes for you too?

Sure, they ask for their testicles out of our purses too.:sleep:

Why emasculate a man for being polite?

I wish Darren's wife would have put a permanent spell on you.

WHERE IN THE HELL DID I SAY THE DUDE SHOULD PAY FOR IT?

She pays, he is smart enough to say "Give me your dads credit card and I will pump the gas."

Your husband must be beaten beyond belief.
Put me in touch with your wife, dude. She might want to put a spell on you.

My husband is a happy camper and posts here all the time!

She pays, he is smart enough to say "Give me your dads credit card and I will pump the gas."

lol, let me know when you have 20 years or more or marriage under your belt.

Hey OP, who gives any of us the right to judge? Just because a male is in the car - and the female gets out to pump gas - it may not be what it apears. Sure, I believe in chivalry and doing unexpected favors throughout the day for my wife - that's what keeps a relationship strong and romantic. I pump the gas every time when I'm with my wife in the car - and she never has to open a door in my presence. But there are a few times I recall when she pumped the gas while we were together - like for a few weeks in the mid 90's after I had surgery and she took me out of the house so I wouldn't go stir crazy - but it was all I could do to muster enough strength to walk from the bedroom to the car - so I didn't jump out to pump gas. Or a few times she drove me to a business meeting when I was running late - she jumped out to pump gas and confirm directions while I banged away on my PC putting the final touches on a presentation and proposal.

Just like we should not judge the physical or mental condition of a seemingly healthy person walking into a store from a handicapped parking spot. We have no idea what illnesses they have - and should not assume they're a slacker. When you see me on my PC while my wife is pumping gas - don't assume that I'm on Facebook. When you see a young male sitting in the car - while his girlfriend, sister, mom etc. pumps gas - don't assume his mental or physical condition.

When I'm not around - my wife pumps her own gas. It's no more complicated than brushing her teeth. Marriages are not 50/50 - they are 100/100 - we should not assume how a household or a marriage divides their chores. Next we'll be trying to dictate our opinion as to who should be on top in a "relationship".

bizguy

Diamond Member
Marriages are not 50/50 - they are 100/100 - we should not assume how a household or a marriage divides their chores. .
A-freaikin'-men TDC.... If your spouse's happiness is not the focus of your life and if seeing them happy doesn't make you happy, then you are doing it wrong....

and yes, your spouse takes precedence over your kids too....

aggieteach

Double Platinum
Women want to be equal to men.. they can open their own doors and pump gas..

Sent from my Android..
This is the excuse men use when they don't want to/too lazy too/too much of a jerk to/too clueless to be classy enough to be a gentleman.

When we all get in a car together my father still drops the women off at the door and then parks (we need to teach my bro-in-law that he is not being dropped off). He also orders for the women as well as pays.

I took my father to dinner for his birthday a few years ago and I thought he was going to blow when he found out that I paid the bill (it's his birthday -- duh) ... I turned right back into a teenager afraid I was going to get into big trouble. But I still love I finally was able to pay once.

boiler01

Silver Member
Oh the things we find to argue about.

I just wish we all came with little signs, or usb ports we could 'hook up to', to see the "whole picture" before we signed up for the ride; wait we'd never sign up.

God knows I'm not an easy person to live with, but dang if I don't remember why I am not looking forward to dating again. Not that I really have to worry since TCM would never come within 500 yards of me, but dang there should be a female warning system out there.

And yup - I'm a fat house wife. No qualms about it. Quite frankly my husband doesn't have an issue with it either. He's just decided "this is too real for him" and can't take it. My guess is you two would enjoy complaining about women in German. He has eight years of formal education under his belt so I assume he could still carry on a conversation with you in German.

But then, I'm the one who has been to Germany, not him so I'm not 100% sure.

Flowers, I'm looking forward to getting flowers again. After I got married I thought I was okay with a man who thought flowers were "frivolous" I was wrong. He's just cheap.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
I have really been thinking about this as I have a teenage boy driver...

- we never discussed or taught him about gas stations. When little, he was in the booster etc and even til he hit about 13 or so we didn't think of him doing this and whn he started either his dad or I got out at first with him.

- if he were on a date with a girl, he would be driving more than likely so her getting out would not be an issue...

- when a girl has taken him some place, it was as a friend and I don't think he would think to ask in that situation.. Or if he offered and the girl said no., he wouldn't push it.

- I would not be happy if he took someone else's CC to pay for the gas.. It is not his to use and the chance of a girl accusing him of loosing it or misusing even if he didn't

- and as a parent of a girl, they guy could forget to give it back accidentally or on purpose,,,

He is out of town now but this has really got me thinking of what he would do.. Definitely will ask him about what he and his friends think or do in this situation..

aggieteach

Double Platinum
- when a girl has taken him some place, it was as a friend and I don't think he would think to ask in that situation.. Or if he offered and the girl said no., he wouldn't push it.
Just the offer is huge. You don't have to be on a date to show chivalry.

- I would not be happy if he took someone else's CC to pay for the gas.. It is not his to use and the chance of a girl accusing him of loosing it or misusing even if he didn't

- and as a parent of a girl, they guy could forget to give it back accidentally or on purpose,,
She could pay, while he pumps.

When I was in high school I hit a curb really hard and blew out my tire. I was driving with two guy friends in the car. Neither one offered to lift a finger, help, or anything. They watched me struggle with the lug nuts while they sat in the car talking and joking around. I was pissed when I was finished (as a female I would have offered to help someone who was struggling). When I made a comment getting back in the car one guy said, "if you were [insert current girlfriend's name] I would have helped." That ticked me off more. You don't have to do it for a girlfriend/wife/daughter. You can be a gentlemen (or just kind) and help out anyone. Even if they can do it for themselves. It is nice to offer.

My principal opens every door for me when we go in and out of the building. I drove him to the administration building and he opened my door to my car that I was driving.

LindaLS

Silver Member
I think that it's a shame that we feel the need to judge others when we don't even know the circumstances. People work out their own relationships however they see fit and I personally won't even try to evaluate what I see.

I don't mind the little masculine chivalrous things but what is really important to me is that we get along and that we respect one another. If my husband doesn't hold my door open one time I don't think a thing of it but if he does something kind with substance or if he makes me laugh then it means the world.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
Understand Aggie.. Like I said, this thread got me to thinking of our son... We have taught him opening doors, car doors, looking people in the eye, shaking hands firmly, how to speak to adults.. But honestly,
The gas thing never even hit our radar.

The other day DH helped a college age girl change the tire after she hit the curb and burst her tire ( while texting). DS watched and helped where he could but he also asked later if DH would show him how to again.

Just asked DH and he said the boy should offer but if the girl says no then that should be the end of it..

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with good manners and they have nothing to do with equality but at the same time should never be demanded by the opposite sex.

Before getting married DW told me she would never mow the lawn. Growing up in the country she had enough of taking care of the yard. When we got a cat my stipulation was the I would not clean the litter box. We both agreed and she has never mowed the lawn and I have never done litter box (except for when pregnant due to health risk) and it has never been a problem for us.

I hold the door open and try to fill up car not because she demands it but because I want to.

For my DS I have tried to convey that being man in my mind boils down to 2 things:
1. Never, ever hit a woman
2. Always stand up and take care of your responsibilities. True character is not about manners but what you do when things get hard.

Got to 18 and she didn't fill her car in the first 10.

Hen? Gladys Kravitz?

I sense a HausFrau......
Just kind of funny how bent out of shape you are about this. And, for the record, my name isn't really "Gladys Kravitz". It's just a funny character from an old time TV show.

And, even more craziness, I am not really a hen. I know that is crazy stuff!

HausFrau, I guess so, since I am a business owner and landowner in multiple states!

And yet my husband still pumps the gas, and we still live in wedded bliss.

Carry on, or more accurately, flounce out of the thread.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
This is the excuse men use when they don't want to/too lazy too/too much of a jerk to/too clueless to be classy enough to be a gentleman.

When we all get in a car together my father still drops the women off at the door and then parks (we need to teach my bro-in-law that he is not being dropped off). He also orders for the women as well as pays.

I took my father to dinner for his birthday a few years ago and I thought he was going to blow when he found out that I paid the bill (it's his birthday -- duh) ... I turned right back into a teenager afraid I was going to get into big trouble. But I still love I finally was able to pay once.
It has nothing to do with being Lazy.. Gentlemen went away when women wanted to be equals..

Its cool.. I have no problem with equality..

mommyx2

Diamond Member
I did ask my 16 year old...

If they are just friends he said he might ask but depended on the girl. He would not pay for the gas unless she was driving him on errands for some reason..

If it was a girlfriend, he would just get out to see if she needed help or wanted him to put the gas in. If she said no, he wouldn't insist. he would offer pay if she was taking I'm on errands but would wait til they were done and give her some cash to help pay. But he also said if it was a girlfriend he probably would be driving.

Heard more, are you okay??? I think maybe you should not drink? Hello.... Hope you are okay.

Last edited:

boiler01

Silver Member
Just kind of funny how bent out of shape you are about this. And, for the record, my name isn't really "Gladys Kravitz". It's just a funny character from an old time TV show.

And, even more craziness, I am not really a hen. I know that is crazy stuff!

HausFrau, I guess so, since I am a business owner and landowner in multiple states!

And yet my husband still pumps the gas, and we still live in wedded bliss.

Carry on, or more accurately, flounce out of the thread.
Hey, I wondered if that is who your 'named after' - haha