Who has travel advice? London & Scotland

Londoner

Platinum Member
If you plan on using the train, book as far in advance as you can! Prices are minimal than if you buy a ticket while there
and when you book, make sure to also reserve your seats... we made the mistake of booking London to Edinburgh and not doing the additional step of reserving... so me, the wife, and the kiddo had to sit on the floor all the way to York... was pretty much a disaster, but was worthwhile as Edinburgh is amazing

Londoner

Platinum Member
Oh and Richmond in West London is a good place to stay. Loads of pubs and easy access into London and likely only 30 mins. We stayed in Richmond area when in London
Also forget the cost of the Shard and go to the Sky Garden instead, its free, but I think you need to book a time
Fitbit said I was doing 20,000+ steps a day, so yes good shoes are a must
we lived next door to Richmond in Twickenham... both great places, especially on a big rugby day... if just two adults, could consider staying at the Red Cow... is a pub and small hotel... very very quaint, but gets you a good feel for what life is like there... we loved it

we lived next door to Richmond in Twickenham... both great places, especially on a big rugby day... if just two adults, could consider staying at the Red Cow... is a pub and small hotel... very very quaint, but gets you a good feel for what life is like there... we loved it
My wife ran a pub in Richmond which also had overnight rooms.
She loved the rugby days and serving many celebrities. My wife and I both worked in Richmond for years in the late 80's and through 97

Never met. Hooked up in Manchester

If you know the London Apprentice we had a few visits there, this holiday

Londoner

Platinum Member
My wife ran a pub in Richmond which also had overnight rooms.
She loved the rugby days and serving many celebrities. My wife and I both worked in Richmond for years in the late 80's and through 97

Never met. Hooked up in Manchester

If you know the London Apprentice we had a few visits there, this holiday
Rugby days are one of the things i miss the most... total chaos, crowds everywhere... but this Texan felt like a true Londoner on those days

Haven't gone to the London Apprentice... the one in Isleworth, right? Had been to the Town Wharf right down the road from there a few times... really loved that place

Englishman here - if you have never been to London before & have only a few days, here's what you do. Buy a Frommers, Lonely Planet, Rick Steves, etc. guide book. They will have a 1/2/3 Day itinerary which plots out an entire series of activities in sequence. Follow the itinerary religiously so you can make the most of your time there. Otherwise, you will spend hours wandering around aimlessly, seeing nothing and wasting valuable time. London's a great city, but completely overwhelming for first-timers who don't have a plan.

I'll be there with my kid in November. As he's now 19, he can accompany me on my drinking fests and take part. Can't wait.

rawknee

We leave for our adventure in under 2 weeks and we're really excited! Have all our flights, trains, hotels booked and will spend 2.5 days in St. Andrews at the beginning where we'll be staying in a private home and hubby will play a couple of rounds of golf and I'll choose from a day trips to Stonehaven/Dunnottar Castle or Stirling or Crail or ???. Then we'll have a night (booked our room at Motel One on the Royal Mile) and a full day in Edinburgh for sightseeing, Arthur's Seat and pubs (ghost tour if we feel inspired). Then London for 2.5 days (booked a room at The Royal Horseguards) and will visit some of the typical sights, probably hit Covent Garden, keep it casual for meals and drinks in pubs, and start making my list of things we didn't get to do and need to come back for!

I'd love to get feedback on how to spend my 2 days while we're staying in the St. Andrews area! I may be solo much of the time but don't want to waste my days waiting for my husband to finish his golf. Anyone stayed in that area and have suggestions for day trips or local "not to miss" spots?

rawhide

Diamond Member
We leave for our adventure in under 2 weeks and we're really excited! Have all our flights, trains, hotels booked and will spend 2.5 days in St. Andrews at the beginning where we'll be staying in a private home and hubby will play a couple of rounds of golf and I'll choose from a day trips to Stonehaven/Dunnottar Castle or Stirling or Crail or ???. Then we'll have a night (booked our room at Motel One on the Royal Mile) and a full day in Edinburgh for sightseeing, Arthur's Seat and pubs (ghost tour if we feel inspired). Then London for 2.5 days (booked a room at The Royal Horseguards) and will visit some of the typical sights, probably hit Covent Garden, keep it casual for meals and drinks in pubs, and start making my list of things we didn't get to do and need to come back for!

I'd love to get feedback on how to spend my 2 days while we're staying in the St. Andrews area! I may be solo much of the time but don't want to waste my days waiting for my husband to finish his golf. Anyone stayed in that area and have suggestions for day trips or local "not to miss" spots?
Your trip sounds wonderful!

I would enjoy a pint and lunch at the Golfers Corner Pub, in the Dunvegan Hotel (link in post 2), while your husband is golfing.