What's up with this?

angelaN

Platinum Member
I checked into a Hampton Inn in San Marcos on Saturday night. It is a very nice hotel.

On the headboard is a yellow sticky note with "Duvet cover and sheets are clean for your arrival": written in sharpie.

This seems bizarre to me. If I had a sticky note I would have left one that said "Duh - I expect no less".

Any ideas as to what this is about? Is the cleaning staff's way of trying to get a tip? Does management know? Does that mean they didn't always do this LOL?

Those are printed sticky notes, not handwritten. They do it in all Hampton Inns. I think it is just their way to tell you that their duvets aren't gross!!!

angelaN

Platinum Member
Those are printed sticky notes, not handwritten. They do it in all Hampton Inns. I think it is just their way to tell you that their duvets aren't gross!!!
So I guess it is management approved. Thanks.

I still think it is weird. Their hotels are not cheap (as in Super 8) and I expect clean sheets and bedding. I wouldn't stay at a hotel where it was questionable unless I were under 30 and had been drinking.

Rebel

Diamond Member

I still think it is weird. Their hotels are not cheap (as in Super 8) and I expect clean sheets and bedding. I wouldn't stay at a hotel where it was questionable unless I were under 30 and had been drinking.
What you expect, and what actually happens at a lot of hotels are not equal.

Even at some of the pricier ones. For that matter, just because they put a little sticky note on the headboard, doesn't mean they actually did what the sticky note says.

:poke:

angelaN

Platinum Member
What you expect, and what actually happens at a lot of hotels are not equal.

Even at some of the pricier ones. For that matter, just because they put a little sticky note on the headboard, doesn't mean they actually did what the sticky note says.

It's marketing :)

Yeah. Maybe they didn't actually clean the "sticky" that was on the bedspread that they say they cleaned.

Just remember those investigative reports where the dude uses the blue light to find bodily fluids........ YUCK!!!!!!

angelaN

Platinum Member
I like the fact that their bedding is all white cotton which increases the chances it gets washed. You know they don't wash those old polyester bedspreads.

P.S. I should have known as there is no such thing as a handwritten note anymore!

Last edited:

kenny6

Gold Member
Most hotels are doing the conservation thing to save water, resources, etc by not washing the sheets for your stay unless you ask or put a little card on the bed.

Upon arrival of a new guest they should be clean though. That is probably why they are leaving the note.

It's a PLUS in this case. All hotels wash sheets for arriving guests - but MOST hotels only wash the duvets or bedcovers monthly. (Cheap hotels go even longer - gross.)

This is why I take the bedcover off and immediately put them in the corner when I enter the room. If it's a duvet meant for warmth - I ask housekeeping to bring me a freshly cleaned additional blanket instead.

I'm not a germiphobe by any stretch - but the bedcovers are pretty gross and unsanitary in many hotels/motels. Be forewarned.

First thing I do in a hotel, no joke, is wrap my hand in toilet paper and take all the bedspreads off the bed down to the sheets and put them in the corner of the room, never to be touched. I always get a room with two queen beds so I can pull the top sheet off the other bed to use as a blanket if I get too cold. I also bring wipes with me to wipe down the remote control before I use it. Yes, I'm a little weird, but I stay pretty healthy.

Now that I think of it...I am pretty OCD. At work, I open the bathroom door with my shoulder on the way in, and with my little finger on the way out. Even the pushbutton combo lock on our doors I use my little finger. Studies show we touch our faces hundreds of times a day with our index finger.

LLB

Silver Member
I checked into a Hampton Inn in San Marcos on Saturday night. It is a very nice hotel.

On the headboard is a yellow sticky note with "Duvet cover and sheets are clean for your arrival": written in sharpie.

This seems bizarre to me. If I had a sticky note I would have left one that said "Duh - I expect no less".

Any ideas as to what this is about? Is the cleaning staff's way of trying to get a tip? Does management know? Does that mean they didn't always do this LOL?
I almost stopped reading after reading 'One the headboard was a yellow sticky' thank god note was the next word!! I would like to think everyone has clean duvets and sheets but after some traveling I realize it is rare. I wear long sleeves, pants and socks when I sleep in a hotel. Oh and I bring my own pillow. My sister brings her own sheets.

Hotels do not wash their bedspreads that often. I don't know how it's not a health dept requirement but I find it really gross. As soon as I get to the room, I always kick them off to the foot of the bed.

I travel a fair bit for work now and the thing I hate most is staying in hotel beds. I also immediately remove and banish bedspread to a corner for the duration of my stay.

One of the things I dislike about Australia is a 4/5 star hotel here is normally no where close to what you normally get in US. I was up at the Syndey office and stayed at what was supposed to be a 5 start hotel. Crawled into bed close to midnight and when I went to move pillow there was a patch of stiff pillow case that I touched. Ugh.

Luckily, I have found another hotel when I go to the Sydney office. It requires train ride into work but is on the Harbour and our rate there is just a few $ more than skanky hotel. It is best hotel I have stayed at in Australia and it is US chain (Park Hyatt).

I will say Aussies hands down have know how to fly domestically. No shoes to take off, liquids in a baggie or long lines. Qantas still feeds you on planes and provide alcohol free on charge on most flights.

Really enjoy living here but hotel standards not quiet the same :)

Last edited:

aggieteach

Double Platinum

It is practice that hotels clean the sheets daily. Most clean the blankets daily (not all), but the covers have been the problem. Up until recently hotels (even the 4 star hotels) only cleaned their bedspreads monthly. I know way too much about the cleanliness (or lack there of) of hotels.

btw...no matter how clean the hotel is or how nice it is ... don't use the coffee maker. If you want to know why PM me. I will not post it here for those that prefer to stay in the dark (Deb you don't want to know).

LLB

Silver Member
I have never used the coffee maker but my DH has. I told him why he shouldn't so he took the stupid thing apart to check it all out and then used it. Theres no way I will ever use anything in a hotel room unless its a one time use thing like the cups in sealed plastic bags.

My issue is the showers and the shower curtains. I take the fastest showers in the world when we are at a hotel. I stay away from the walls and if the curtain starts to move and want to touch me I move even faster. I hear about how people love taking baths in the tubs. Not this girl. I just look along the tub edge and see a bit of mildew or mold.... YUCK!!