What's a crazier investment - Bitcoin or Amazon (AMZN)??

MSJ

Triple Platinum
The Deathstar (Amazon) actually has some fundamentals and they have a way conquering the competition. Bitcon has no fundamentals and if the DOJ leaves them alone and a number of other things go there way they might actually end up being worth something. I own Amazon, not buying at this time. I wish I had bought Bitcon 6 months ago but I'm not going near it at it's current price. .

sjdfw

Silver Member
I’ve started looking recently at the crypto currencies out of general interest to see how they work. At least from my limited knowledge I picked up, I couldn’t imagine putting my money in it. I’m relatively conservative with my money although I have my play money. The issue I haven’t been able to figure out is how, what I think is, un-secure it is. Sure there are algorithms that “protect” it, but anytime there is an algorithm, there are hackers that can break it. Then, there is no one to insure like the FDIC or a bank to hold accountable. Granted a bank can collapse, but then you have insurance on that. Amazon can go belly up, but there is a whole viable Amazon infrastructure that you can get a pretty good idea where they are as a company. The CC’s have none of that. The people running it are virtual that no one would ever see. I couldn’t stomach putting 10’s of thousand dollars into la la land, hoping it’s safe. I’m sure there is a bunch of money to be made, but if I can’t get my mind wrapped around mitigating those risks, it’s not an investment for me.

Mommyp

Platinum Member
To be fair Block chain is very secure and transparent. So I am good from a tech perspective. I've got $100 of Etherum and I've made 15% net of expenses in the past 2 days. I've seen so many bubbles in my life, I'm pretty good at being a good rat and getting off.

I understand the argument for AMZN, however my financial background says a PE of 300 for a company the size of AMZN is ludicrous.

The cyber currency craze will peak when cabbies are day trading CCs in their cabs. Same as the tech bubble. The housing bubble crashed when housing appreciation became common dinner party conversation. All bubbles crash when there is no more dumb money heading into them. I think we have a ways to go on this CC bubble and I plan on cashing in on it.

There are hedge funds holding 50% of assets in CC. Watch them to see the market top.

whatsthat

Diamond Member
Was a VERY tough week for CC.

Problem is with Bitcoin rocketing upward......the expected fall back to earth will bring others down with it (sector pull).

Good luck ....... in the end it may work out.

FCS Wes

Silver Member
Bitcoin dropped this week, that said, I have a few customers that have "invested" in S9 ant miners and are going to start mining for bitcoins. not sure how they feel about it now though as the value has dropped $6k since they bought the machines a week ago. Almost $10K investment

Amazon is a bit like Walmart at this point IMO. They're huge and powerful at this point and won't be able to make massive gains without something external happening in the marketplace. Bitcoin could be $50k in a year. Or it could be worthless. Nobody knows what it's going to do. I think a lot of it has to do with how the mainstream reacts to it over the year. If people buy and sell it simply as an investment then it will continue to be highly volatile. If someone like Amazon actually starts accepting it as a form of payment then I think it will help stabilize the price. The thing about Bitcoin is that there are a finite number of bitcoins that can ever exist. I think there are only 1-2 million left that can be mined and they're getting harder and harder to mine. You have to be using an antminer at this point.

I think most people who have been done research in crypto realize they need to start looking at other coins like Etherium and Litecoin. And maybe Zcoin as it looks like an up and comer. IMO there's much more money to be made in 2018 through those other cryptocoins.

whatsthat

Diamond Member

Thought this might be of interest

The Amazing Price Appreciation of Cryptocurrencies

Whereas the S&P 500 gained 20%, the cryptocurrencies of bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum, and Litecoin have gained thousands of percent each. [TABLE="border: 7"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]Security Name[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]Dec. 31, 2016 Closing Price[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]Dec. 31, 2017 Closing Price[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]Percent Gain[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]Ripple (XRP)[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$0.0065[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$2.30[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]35,385%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]Ethereum (ETH)[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$7.97[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$756.73[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]9,495%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]Litecoin (LTC)[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$4.33[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$232.10[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]5,360%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]Bitcoin (BTC)[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$963.74[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$14,156.40[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]1,469%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 160"]S&P 500 (SPX)[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$2,238.83[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]$2,673.61[/TD]
[TD="width: 160"]20%[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Wow.

Was 2017 a fluke year? If you look at bitcoin's price history, the answer is no. Bitcoin's trend has been bullish for several years: BITCOIN ANNUAL PRICE PERFORMANCE
[TABLE="border: 7"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]Year[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]Percent Return[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2011[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]1,473%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2012[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]186%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2013[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]5,507%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2014[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]-58%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2015[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]35%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2016[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]125%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 319"]2017[/TD]
[TD="width: 319"]1,469%[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Is it guaranteed that Bitcoin will rise again in 2018?

No.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
Ripple is the one I'm the most interested in since it is actually building a business model and is more likely to be accepted as a monetary platform.with world wide business acceptance.

This one could actually become a competitor to the U.S. Dollar and that is scary for many reasons.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
Bought 700 bucks worth today. About to initiate another buy.

It’s not easy to get
And that's intentional right now. Its easy to invest millions ( if you have millions) directly into Ripple and then let it ride. It's not that easy to find markets for the average investor to actively trade.

Chris1771

Silver Member
Look for Ripple to continue to grow and once the're sure they have something sustainable in the long run. Can you say NASDAQ IPO.
A lot of folks panicking over the dip today...I think there's still room for it to grow too so will hold. Trying to buy more but I can only get it in small quantities at a time. Frustrating as hell.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
A lot of folks panicking over the dip today...I think there's still room for it to grow too so will hold. Trying to buy more but I can only get it in small quantities at a time. Frustrating as hell.
Ripple is looking for direct investors into their company instead of participating in the current Bitcoin, Ethierium, Lite euphoria. Something that is missing from the article that caused the dip is that Ripple was not really interested in trading on that exchange.

Last edited:

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
There is no real history for crypto currencies. All predictions are just guesses. Some people will be completely wrong, some others will be called crypto geniuses.

If the governments of the world cannot control the flow of money, and people stop using banks then at some point it seems they would have to create some laws to manage crypto through some government system. The only way to force people onto a government system is to outlaw unregulated block chains or have a viral attack on current systems. Which makes sense why wall street opens up a way to short bit coin.

I like Etherum because it has a broader use. I can contract to buy a guitar in Canada, for 1 Etherum, and until both sides of the contract are fulfilled no money is released. It could be the new eBay. The fact that contracts and money are held in the same system until complete makes Etherum a good tool. I think once people see that about Etherum it stands out.

But like the Dot Com days anything can happen.

whatsthat

Diamond Member
Tough day for the CC........REAL tough day
[FONT=&quot]Cryptocurrencies are plunging, led by ripple............[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the second-largest digital currency behind bitcoin, crashed more than 30 percent Monday. It traded at $2.34, [/FONT]
according to Coinmarketcap.com
[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Last edited: