What to do for my mom's 60th birthday?

SkiBum

Platinum Member
I am really at a loss for ideas! I need some help. My parents are coming up here a couple days before her 60th birthday. I think she kind of expects something.

I already have planned to go to a really good antique store I found in Fort Worth (she knows about that), maybe do something in Fort Worth that could be memorable? Thought about going to the Kimbell.

It really doesn't have to be fancy or a "once-in-a-lifetime" type of event. But I am truly out of any good ideas. I do think I know a dinner spot, so that is good.

Any ideas from the masses??

Edited to Add: Maybe someone has a great antique mall they know of in Fort Worth. We are headed over to Montgomery Street Antique Mall (it's pretty good and big), but another would be ideal. She really likes perusing antique/junk stores.

Last edited:

GoodAg

Double Platinum
What kinds of things is she interested in? Tastes? Is she a museum gal or a watch the bull rides at Billy Bobs of gal? I'm sure there are LOTS of great things to do in FW, but I'm not sure which types of things she'd prefer.

For my mom's amd MIL's 65th, they want to go in a hot air balloon. That would be fun, but I don't have any details on it yet. Too bad the balloon festival was a few weeks ago.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
If my mom were still alive and it was her birthday I would sit her down directly in front of me. I would look deep in her eyes and recite a prolific soliloquy that details how beautiful she is to me using the most precious comparisons I think she would relate to. No less than 5 minutes long.

I would gently place my hands on her head and give her a soft kiss on the cheek while I tell her that I love her greatly. That is what I would do if I had the opportunity for another birthday with my mom.

That and cash, just in case I sounded foolish... :)

SkiBum

Platinum Member
What kinds of things is she interested in? Tastes? Is she a museum gal or a watch the bull rides at Billy Bobs of gal? I'm sure there are LOTS of great things to do in FW, but I'm not sure which types of things she'd prefer.
Not a Billy Bob's type... she likes quilting, embroidery, mystery novels, antiquing. She would like the museum, and I still may work that in. Really I guess I'm looking for a fun or interesting place to go, not necessarily a big thing to do.

I'm an only child, so I don't have a lot of help on this! :)

GoodAg

Double Platinum
Well, I personally love the gardens this time of year. It's cool and comforable to walk through and not as many bugs to contend with.

I'm not as familiar with the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, but there is a nice restaurant where you could do lunch in the "outdoors," or be inside and see local artists' work displayed.

The Dallas Arboretum is a neat place this time of year, too, IMO. The pumpkin houses are cool, the weather is cool, and there is a dining option there, too, at the DeGolyer Garden Cafe, and they have some sort of Harvest Tea thing going on right now, too.

If not at the Arboretum, maybe a "tea room" somewhere near where you are going to be spending that particular day would be fun. I remember one Mother's Day going with my sister, her SIL and all of our Mothers/MIL's to a tea room in Dallas, and we got to wear those big fancy hats and sit in pretty little chairs and even the bathroom was "dolled-up" Old-Fashioned style. The Moms just loved it and cooed over each other and all the delicate little lady-sandwiches and flavored teas they got. It was fun to watch them enjoy themselves like that.

I'm going to think about the Mystery Novel interest...maybe a Mystery Dinner Theater or something like that? I'll think about it. So much fun to plan stuff like this!!!

GoodAg

Double Platinum
If my mom were still alive and it was her birthday I would sit her down directly in front of me. I would look deep in her eyes and recite a prolific soliloquy that details how beautiful she is to me using the most precious comparisons I think she would relate to.
You know, for my Mom's 60th, my FIL's 50th and my Aunt and Uncle's 50th Wedding Anniversary, I made different lists:

"60 things I love about you" or "50 reasons why I love you" or "50 memories I have with you"...something like that, and gave them to each respective party. It wasn't as elaborate as lucas' idea, but I think it went over pretty well. :) You could fancy it up on some nice paper and I bet it would be something she would treasure for a long time.

Green225

Platinum Member
If my mom were still alive and it was her birthday I would sit her down directly in front of me. I would look deep in her eyes and recite a prolific soliloquy that details how beautiful she is to me using the most precious comparisons I think she would relate to. No less than 5 minutes long.

I would gently place my hands on her head and give her a soft kiss on the cheek while I tell her that I love her greatly. That is what I would do if I had the opportunity for another birthday with my mom.

That and cash, just in case I sounded foolish... :)
Lucas, I lost my Dad 10 years ago while I was living in San Diego. He passed away quite unexpectedly here in north Texas. During the viewing, my brother and I sat down next to the open casket and talked for almost an hour about growing up and some of the great experiences we had with him. We both regretted we didn't take the time to tell him how much he men to us while he was still alive. I'd give anything to be able to do that today.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
Thanks Green225.
I can relate to what you are saying even though I was able to express how much my mom meant to me. However, it still doesn't seem like it was enough. It doesn't make up for all those "other times" I could have/should have done or said something. Now it's too late.
I try to take that lesson and apply it to my family now, as best as I can.

I think for you and I we must believe our parent(s) would forgive us and then we must learn to forgive ourselves.

summerbird

Silver Member
Since you'll be in Ft Worth here is a link to their Events Calender http://www.fortworth.com/visitors/calendar-of-events/ May help you with ideas.

I know the antique mall you're going to, lots of fun there! I haven't been in about a yr but K Flories on Camp Wisdom just west of Montgomery st. and The Butler Antiques on 8th St were 2 other places I used to visit when in that area. Sorry, I don't know there exact addresses but you should be able to google for their info.

Lucas, you made me tear up. I lost my mom 6 yrs ago, she spent the last month of her life in a coma in ICU. I seldom left that room. I'd have given anything to have had her open her eyes for just a moment so I could look into them and tell her how much I love her.

GoodAg

Double Platinum
What about the Quilting/Needlepoint Exhibit at the State Fair of Texas? All the winners/results are up now, so there would be lots to look at. The Garden Show is there, too. (60 and older are free on Thursdays. :)) Or if she likes musicals, Shrek the Musical is playing at Fair Park Music Hall, and admission to the fair is free if you have tickets to the musical.

Here's one quilter's idea of quilting shops to see in Dallas. And here's a quilting store in Fort Worth, which seems to be near where you will be anyhow. Maybe just pop in there for a minute or two.

I think that's all I got. :) But honestly, I think the fact that she gets to spend time with her only child is going to really be the best part of her whole trip. :)

SkiBum

Platinum Member
What about the Quilting/Needlepoint Exhibit at the State Fair of Texas? All the winners/results are up now, so there would be lots to look at. The Garden Show is there, too. (60 and older are free on Thursdays. :)) Or if she likes musicals, Shrek the Musical is playing at Fair Park Music Hall, and admission to the fair is free if you have tickets to the musical.

Here's one quilter's idea of quilting shops to see in Dallas. And here's a quilting store in Fort Worth, which seems to be near where you will be anyhow. Maybe just pop in there for a minute or two.

I think that's all I got. :) But honestly, I think the fact that she gets to spend time with her only child is going to really be the best part of her whole trip. :)
Great ideas! Let me tell you, though, she already knows EVERY. SINGLE. QUILT STORE. IN. THE. STATE. LOL! She has a big "encyclopedia" type book that lists them all. It's like a phone book!

GoodAg

Double Platinum
Great ideas! Let me tell you, though, she already knows EVERY. SINGLE. QUILT STORE. IN. THE. STATE. LOL! She has a big "encyclopedia" type book that lists them all. It's like a phone book!
That's really too funny. A Quilter's Bible, lol.

I wonder if it's too late to have some sort of 60th birthday quilt made for her. Even if it's just a small-sized one like what you'd put in a baby crib, like 1/4 of what the normal size is. I don't know how far away it is until she visits, but some of the shops I saw had like a 2 week turnaround time.

You could ask them to use her favorite colors and have some "picture" squares with her favorite hobbies alternated on the quilt, like a simple checkerboard style. If you're artistic, you could even draw the squares yourself and have them use those. Just a thought.

(Who says you need brothers and sisters to get parent birthday ideas when you have your FOL family? :))

My mom is close to your mom's age, and if I already knew she wanted to go to Ft. Worth, I would probably plan around that.

I would probably book up a hotel room at The Omni or The Ashton, book a spa treatment at the Omni's Mokara Spa (we would either get a massage or facial and then hang out there and relax, sip tea and read magazines). We would have dinner somewhere great like Ellerbe Fine Foods, Brownstone, Grace or Lonesome Dove, in that order. We would then have drinks at Reata's rooftop bar.

The next morning, brunch somewhere good, and then to antique shops, quilt shops, or the Kimbell, one of the best museums I have been to.

You know, S, it doesn't matter what you give her or where you take her. The fact that you are excited to spend the day with her is the best gift you will ever give her. Tell her how much she means to you, maybe write a letter telling her that and frame it for her. We moms love showing stuff like that off. Take a paw print of Axel and have him "write" a note telling her how much she means to him. You are a lovely daughter and that is a testament to what a great mother she is!