What did your inspector find?

quester

Double Platinum
Got an offer on our house yesterday. We have been in the house 12 years. Don't think there is anything major wrong with it. Just wondering what sort of little things the inspector dinged you with. Want to know what to expect.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
They found a bunch of little stuff, nothing big..

I had a handyman come out and take care of all of it for just a couple hundred bucks..

quester

Double Platinum
Like what?

It's been so long since we sold a house, just wondering what to expect. Want to look at a few things to get an idea of what we will need to fix.

Rebel

Diamond Member
look for nail pops, cracks in the grout on tile (especially in showers, which can lead to drywall rot and mold), cracks in electrical outlets. Make sure all your GFCI's are working. Make sure it doesn't look like there are any leaks under and sinks, or around the toilets, etc.

There could be "bigger" things they find, but water damage is one that can cause you a lto fo grief

Tooleman

Diamond Member
We had a door that wasn't shutting correctly and needed to be adjusted.. The doors to the office would not shut right either..

There was some mortar on the bricks that needed to be fixed.. Needed the garage power washed..

Also needed things resealed..

They wanted the dish washer fixed, we said no..

boiler01

Silver Member
When we bought our home there was a crack in a window in the garage. Wouldn't have noticed it b/c it's behind a crape myrtle but it was nice to get it fixed.

Also a bracket missing on a support in the attic. Was a two dollar fix they got done easily.

When we sold our condo under the cabinet in the kitchen and a sock that didn't work were the only two issues.

dmp9898

Silver Member
I bought a house and the inspection came through with the some little stuff outside of the house which the seller took care of. Sold the house less than 2 years later and that inspector said all the inside electrical outlets were reversed in polarity. Mind you I was the 2nd owner and the house had been standing for 20 years. Still not sure how that polarity changed so inspectors can find anything...

quester

Double Platinum
Thanks! I regrouted the shower last year, so we should be good there. There is a little water damage under the kitchen sink from a leaky faucet. We replaced the faucet, but I wonder if they'll want the cabinet bottom repaired. We do have a few nail pops. I'll take a closer look at the brick when I get home. This is so stressful. I never want to move again!

On the house we sold a year ago and the one we just bought there were some window seals that were damaged. Also check your water heater and make sure it is not leaking. The other thing they look at that might be a biggy is the a/c unit and the roof.

The house we bought had very minor issues. A couple of the outdoor electrical plugs had the covers broken off, probably from the sun. We fixed that for a few dollars. The oven temps didn't match what it was set to. If you set it to 350 it was at about 347. We didn't do anything about that. And something was wrong with a cartridge for the bathtub faucet. It didn't get hot enough, maybe? I can't remember. It was a Moen faucet and that was a common problem. That was the only thing we asked them to fix and it was about $100.

There will likely be 'deficiencies' with the electrical panel due to the age of the house - most likely a lack of AFCI breakers and double-tapping on the neutral bus bar. Electrical code continually changes and we have to inspect to current standards.

Other commons items: electrical fixtures/outlets, water heater installation, venting, and TPR valve drain terminations, unsafe or improperly installed attic stairs, inadequate attic ventilation, broken rafters, improper exhaust vent locations, low temperature differential on the A/C system, loose flashing, wood rot, door problems, window issues (broken latches, damaged weather-seals, exterior caulking), loose toilets, plumbing leaks, missing smoke detectors (you'd be surprised), roof leaks, missing/damaged shingles, gas leaks, appliance issues , of course foundation movement, and the list goes on and on.

Golfer Girl

Triple Platinum
I had a few things, but nothing major. Caulking around the windows and doors needed to be replaced, bathtub drains were draining slowly, AC differntial in temperature. I think it cost me less than $300 to fix it all.

Remember you don't have to fix everything they ask for. Its a wish list and the inspectors job to find things. While inspectors do inspect for todays code, you do not have to bring everything up to todays code. It just should be functioning and safe. Just as an example new builds in Frisco no long allow the water heater in the attic, but that does not mean you have to relocate your water heater.

They are paying an inspector to find issues. You should fix the things that affect the function of the house not cosmetic items. Your other option is to give them money to fix the items themselves.

I always suggest before you list to hire the inspector that you will be using for the home you will later buy. Ask about discounts because of two homes that you will be hiring them for. Then, before you list you know what an inspector will find and can deal with it with time on your side.

Just my opinion.

------------------
FriscoMortgageGuy.com says - "an FOL mortgage client makes for the best client!"

jsutter

Bronze Member
Every inspector is different, they are all "required" to look for certain things, just depends on thorough they are

You could have two different inspectors inspect the same house and more than likely come up with different reports

A buyer also has the right to hire specialty inspectors such as HVAC/electrical/plumbing or pool if they choose in addition to a general home inspector

We had a door that wasn't shutting correctly and needed to be adjusted.. The doors to the office would not shut right either..

There was some mortar on the bricks that needed to be fixed.. Needed the garage power washed..

Also needed things resealed..

They wanted the dish washer fixed, we said no..

Power wash the GARAGE DOOR?!?!? Are you serious?!

angelaN

Platinum Member
Our guy noted bath tub caulking needed replacing and rotten wood around back and side doors.

What he didn't note was the stain on the ceiling in the game room which clearly indicated the roof was leaking or had leaked (never disclosed) or the magazines holding up the wood in the cabinet under the sink as all the supports had rotted out due to the 5 nails in the drain pipe from the upstairs bathroom that the builder had put there when putting the sheathing on the outside.

We absolutely stated we would not buy a house that had any roof issues.

Rebel

Diamond Member
What is a nail pop?
Drywall is typically nailed to the ceiling (rather than screws, nails are cheaper). They tape, and mud over the nails, but its not unusual for a few nails to "pop" the mud off the ceiling due to the natural shrink and swell of building materials. Not a big deal. Totally cosmetic, but still something that is an annoyance to get mentioned.