What can I do for night sweats and hot flashes!?!?

nov1121

Silver Member
UGH!!!! I'm burning up all day long!! I drink lots of cold water and the air is down... I can't take what most women do because it's contraindicated for the cancer I had.... also, I'm a 'triple negative' - so anything with estrogen wouldn't do anything for me.... as well as some herbal stuff - some contain plant estrogen, so that's out as well.

How long does menopause last?? 5 years?? UGH!!!!

angelaN

Platinum Member
Be a witch, alienate every one you love, get fat and drink lots of wine.

That is my plan. I can't take estrogen either. If my marriage and my relationships survive I can go to rehab later.

I am just kidding about most of the above but I am not liking this hormone path that middle age is taking me down.

I dress in layers and just take off and put on all day long - ya know since the hot flash is followed by a chill. A wet wash rag on the back of my neck or forehead helps shorten the hot flash. I have these 1000 count sheets that always feel cool, which helps me at night, and they are heavier than a light sheet, but not as heavy as a blanket.

Mine just started about a month ago. I had a few every now and then for the last couple of years, but last month I started having 10-20 in a 24 hour period. I don't see me wearing much winter type clothes this season - no sweaters or turtle necks.

*Hugs* Been battling this for a couple of years now. Dressing in layers is one way to go. I've found that while most of my body is overheated, my knees are cold, so I wear sweats, a tank top and slippers. At night, I sleep in a tank, only use a sheet, the thermostat is at 67, the ceiling fan is on, a personal fan on the nightstand and one of those remote controlled fans on the floor pointing right at me. DH is freezing under 3 comforters, but I've finally found the combination that works for me. I also keep personal fans in areas where I hang out the most..ie kitchen, desk..etc.

nov1121

Silver Member
My OB/GYN said that she could put me on an anti depressant that may help (and MIL said that it cut hers by 50%), but I'm worried about being on something like that... I dunno!

I haven't done the cold wash rag - I'll remember that. And I like the idea of having a fan on me at night, I can handle that as well!

Thanks for the advice!!!!!

angelaN

Platinum Member
My mother did the mild anti-depressants and the one thing it did do was enable her to sleep better. I know for me, everything is better when I sleep better.

Kibitz

Gold Member
This will sound crazy, but there are several women in my family and friends of the family that swear by apple cider vinegar during menopause. Google "apple cider vinegar hot flashes." I'm 28 so I don't have any personal experience, but for a $5 bottle of Braggs it may be worth a shot.

leeann

One of my girlfriends is in menopause so I learn a lot about it from her. She sees a doctor out of state that specializes in menopause so she gets the latest from her. The anti depressant drug Prestiq is used to alleviate hot flashes and supposedly works very well for many women. My friend was on it for a few months and got wonderful results and a substantial decrease in flashes and got back to sleeping at night again.....but then started getting horrific headaches with it and had to go off of it. Her doctor said that you can be in menopause for 8 to 10 years!!! Yikes!!! She is on OTC Remifemin now and she gets good results from that. Maybe you could see what's in it and if you can take that. I think it might be a black cohash blend.

nov1121

Silver Member
One of my girlfriends is in menopause so I learn a lot about it from her. She sees a doctor out of state that specializes in menopause so she gets the latest from her. The anti depressant drug Prestiq is used to alleviate hot flashes and supposedly works very well for many women. My friend was on it for a few months and got wonderful results and a substantial decrease in flashes and got back to sleeping at night again.....but then started getting horrific headaches with it and had to go off of it. Her doctor said that you can be in menopause for 8 to 10 years!!! Yikes!!! She is on OTC Remifemin now and she gets good results from that. Maybe you could see what's in it and if you can take that. I think it might be a black cohash blend.

we've researched black cohash.... it contains plant estrogen, so that one is out. I already get migraines from time to time, so not sure if Prestiq would be worth it.... I've got appointments tomorrow with docs, and I'll follow up and see what they say....

8 - 10 years??? OMG!!!!I I hope hubby can hang in there that long!! lol!!!!

GoodAg

Double Platinum
A timely email from my Aunt. Not specifically for your problem, but...

Important Women's Health Issue:

* Do you have feelings of inadequacy?
* Do you suffer from shyness?
* Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?
* Do you suffer exhaustion from the day to day grind?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist about Margaritas.

Margaritas are the safe, natural way to feel better and more confident about yourself and your actions. Margaritas can help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing to do just about anything. You will notice the benefits of Margaritas almost immediately and with a regimen of regular doses you can overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to live.

Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past and you will discover many talents you never knew you had. Stop hiding and start living, with Margaritas.

Margaritas may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use Margaritas. However, women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it.

Side effects may include:
- Dizziness
- Nausea
- Vomiting
- Incarceration
- Erotic lustfulness
- Loss of motor control
- Loss of clothing
- Loss of money
- Loss of virginity
- Table dancing
- Headache
- Dehydration
- Dry mouth
- And a desire to sing Karaoke

WARNINGS:
* The consumption of Margaritas may make you think you are whispering when you are not.
* The consumption of Margaritas may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.
* The consumption of Margaritas may cause you to think you can sing.
* The consumption of Margaritas may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.

Please share this with other women who may need Margaritas.

(Hopefully, I just did. :D)