What’s the best way to find a childhood friend?

1. Find a friend or relative of theirs on FB - and look at those FB friends list
2. Classmates.com or other school alumni sites
3. Play around googling their name in different ways along with the town and state you grew up in. (Their name may pop up in a newspaper article or as a contact in a PTA, charity, sports teams etc website or newsletter/website.)
4. I often put in their parents' names with the search term "obituary" to find obituary articles - which then lists survivor names - particularly a good way to find other family contacts (or on the women their married last names)
5. Peoplefinders or similar websites (typically death, birth and marriage records - and property records)
6. LinkedIn
7. Property appraisal records

(I can usually find anyone - I enjoy the challenge - not volunteering to help you btw - it's tedious and sometimes takes me an hour or two trying different creative search approaches. I tracked down almost all my elementary and middle school friends -then reached out and said hi only to a few close childhood friends, but on the others it was interesting just to see what has become of their lives. I've only done this when I'm really bored at work - like on a 2 hour conference call. I also helped plan some high school reunions by finding our missing classmates. High school friends are much easier to track down. Our committee would make a short list of who their closest friends were in high school - and usually find the missing classmate on their FB pages. Or by calling or emailing them. Good luck!)

Last edited:

sundae

Gold Member
1. Find a friend or relative of theirs on FB - and look at those FB friends list
2. Classmates.com or other school alumni sites
3. Play around googling their name in different ways along with the town and state you grew up in. (Their name may pop up in a newspaper article or as a contact in a PTA, charity, sports teams etc website or newsletter/website.)
4. I often put in their parents' names with the search term "obituary" to find obituary articles - which then lists survivor names - particularly a good way to find other family contacts (or on the women their married last names)
5. Peoplefinders or similar websites (typically death, birth and marriage records - and property records)
6. LinkedIn
7. Property appraisal records

(I can usually find anyone - I enjoy the challenge - not volunteering to help you btw - it's tedious and sometimes takes me an hour or two trying different creative search approaches. I tracked down almost all my elementary and middle school friends -then reached out and said hi only to a few close childhood friends, but on the others it was interesting just to see what has become of their lives. I've only done this when I'm really bored at work - like on a 2 hour conference call. I also helped plan some high school reunions by finding our missing classmates. High school friends are much easier to track down. Our committee would make a short list of who their closest friends were in high school - and usually find the missing classmate on their FB pages. Or by calling or emailing them. Good luck!)
My in-laws metal detect and often find class rings. I help reunite the rings with the owners using similar searching methods. :)

Sundae - Nice of you and your in-laws going to all that extra effort to find the ring owners. (I wish everyone did that - a lot of "treasure hunters" melt them down. Thank you for being so kind!)

This thread reminded me of someone so I did a quick Google search for a friend I hadn't seen since I was 12 -- found his obituary and learned that he had died last year. He was just 3 years older than me. He had been in a local rock band in the 70s and was a barber.

I hear you friscoexport, I was too busy working in the rat race to stop and smell the flowers for decades - but then I finally slowed down and decided to do a search of several of my past closest friends. Several of these searches found their obituaries instead. Not what I expected.

When I did one search - I found that my debate partner had just passed away the previous year in his late 40's. I didn't get to say goodbye, but his students at Northwestern University made a documentary about him and I was invited to a couple of film festivals to see the film and meet his students. (He holds the record of the most winning debate coach in college debate history.)

I then looked up one of my favorite roommates from college and found out that he had died a few years earlier at 51.

The moral of this story - don't put off looking up old friends - take a road trip now to go see them - before it's too late.

Last edited:

mrwo1

Platinum Member
Become rich and or famous nothing brings old acquaintances or family members out of the wood work like suddenly having money.

sundae

Gold Member
Sundae - Nice of you and your in-laws going to all that extra effort to find the ring owners. (I wish everyone did that - a lot of "treasure hunters" melt them down. Thank you for being so kind!)
It's a lot of fun. The best one so far was a ring from the '50s. I found the owner, but he had passed away just weeks before. His daughter was so happy to have her dad's ring. She and I struck up a little friendship and remain in contact even now.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
Tis has gotten me to look for suite mates from my first year of college. Have found them or hopefully someone relayed! Thanks for the push to do this.. I have been working with a friend in Minnesota!

I did find and talk to that friend after 20 years of every so often looking – come to find out he had the post card I sent him from 12-6-94 right in front of him in his to do list (sent me pic) Funny How Time Slips Away but not Memories of Yesteryear.