Water for Elephants!!!!

Trixi

Double Platinum
Can't wait for the movie. When I saw the previews, I told my husband "I just read that book" Being the smarty pants that he is said, you read everything LOL

ETA: I'll probably be very disappointed with the movie which happens when I've already read the book.

Indymom

Silver Member
It's a good book (Water for Elephants) but I doubt the movie will hold a candle. They never do. For instance, The Kite Runner. Horrid movie, fabulous book. Pillars of the Earth. Incredible book (probably my all-time favorite) just a horrendous made-for-cable blunder. I think it's reach to think you can delve into a character in a movie like you can a book. Still doesn't mean I don't enjoy movies, I'm a movie buff. But, movies just don't seem to rate up there with the books they are based on. Oh, and I'll still see the movie Water for Elephants. Just too curious not to.

Trixi

Double Platinum
It's a good book (Water for Elephants) but I doubt the movie will hold a candle. They never do. For instance, The Kite Runner. Horrid movie, fabulous book. Pillars of the Earth. Incredible book (probably my all-time favorite) just a horrendous made-for-cable blunder. I think it's reach to think you can delve into a character in a movie like you can a book. Still doesn't mean I don't enjoy movies, I'm a movie buff. But, movies just don't seem to rate up there with the books they are based on. Oh, and I'll still see the movie Water for Elephants. Just too curious not to.
OT: Pillars of the Earth? Good?

van

Diamond Member
One more week! I just noticed her husband is played by the Nazi from Inglorious *******s! Woohooo! He's going to be great!

LuvLife

Bronze Member
How funny you mentioned Room. I already started it, but then decided I'd better read Water for Elphants first so I could see the movie. I'm having a little trouble getting in to Room, but I know it will be good. I think it's because of the way it's written with the child talking. I'll finish it up. I try to never quit on a book once I start. I've only quit 2 in my life. :)

Trixi

Double Platinum
I read Room a few days ago and really liked it - hang in there with it LuvLife. I just finished Pillars this morning - liked it alot. So now, based on this thread (I love all great recs I get from y'all) I think I'll read A Paris Wife and Hunger Games. Y'all rock!

aggieteach

Double Platinum
Ok, so when I read I have to "get into" the book fast (like the first chapter) or I don't finish it. I am not really a reader, but according to my sister who is an avid reader and writer I am one and always have been I just don't do it (huh? -- something about my personality, writing style and how I read when I am interested in a book) ... anyway ... onto my question.

Pillars of the Earth and Water for Elephants, are they quick to get into? What I mean by that is if it doesn't hold my interest, then I will put it down and if I put it down it will be hard to pick it back up.

I'm reading Hunger Games as soon as school is out, but I need some adult books!

Trixi

Double Platinum
Ok, so when I read I have to "get into" the book fast (like the first chapter) or I don't finish it. I am not really a reader, but according to my sister who is an avid reader and writer I am one and always have been I just don't do it (huh? -- something about my personality, writing style and how I read when I am interested in a book) ... anyway ... onto my question.

Pillars of the Earth and Water for Elephants, are they quick to get into? What I mean by that is if it doesn't hold my interest, then I will put it down and if I put it down it will be hard to pick it back up.

I'm reading Hunger Games as soon as school is out, but I need some adult books!
Although kinda informative, the intro from the author to Pillars is something that is not something you can get into easily. Just skip that and go directly to the Prolouge :) Try Water for Elephants. And don't feel bad about being a first chapter only reader. When I buy books, I only read the first few lines - if I'm not hooked, I don't buy it :)