Trip to Oklahoma City

Anyone have any recommendations for where to stay in Oklahoma City or surrounding areas? Hubby & I want to go there for a long weekend. Any cool places to go to or see? Is going to historical Guthrie worthwhile?

The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum on the north side of OKC is well worth of visit.
Bricktown, just east of downtown, is supposedly a nice restaurant and entertainment district.
I have been to the museum, but not Bricktown yet.

I usually stay downtown by getting some great deals on hotel rooms through Priceline. I've been to the memorial museum honoring the bombing victims, I don't know what they call it - I forget. Also I always end up going to Bricktown to eat and drink.

ashwi

Diamond Member
I was born in OKC and raised in Texas.

The Skirvin Hotel is super cool. I am not a believer in haunted hotels, but this hotel is supposedly haunted. The hotel has an awesome brunch on Sundays. I wonder if the ghost was a really good chef. :sherlock:

mommyx2

Diamond Member
I just recently stayed 3 nights at the Marriott Courtyard on Reno - Right next to where the Thunder play. You can walk to Bricktown from there and close to the Capitol etc.

I was born in OKC and raised in Texas.

The Skirvin Hotel is super cool. I am not a believer in haunted hotels, but this hotel is supposedly haunted. The hotel has an awesome brunch on Sundays. I wonder if the ghost was a really good chef. :sherlock:
The Skirvin is cool - I remember it feeling really,really old when I stayed there for a few days in 1985 while on an assignment working at the Capitol. The young skinny mid 20's me hanging out at their nice gentleman's bar in the evenings - now if I went back, I'd probably scare the guests since they'd think I was the ghost of old man Skirvin LOL.

roberts933

Bronze Member
I grew up in OKC also - the Skirvin was refurbished in the last 6-7 years and is a very nice hotel, beautiful historic building. The beds are comfy!
Bricktown is great and there is lots to do. There is a piano bar off the canal area, along with a fondue restaurant, lots of other restaurants too. The bombing memorial is a must. I haven't been to the museum, I haven't braved it yet - but walking around the memorial is such a humbling experience. Just seeing the chairs and the tiny chairs for the children who died. Leaves a lump in my throat every time.
If you can, go to a Thunder game.

Rooster

Silver Member
Bricktown is a cool area. I dig the Redhawks (when it's baseball season). Thunder games are cool, but they only play a couple Saturday home games per year and tickets are hard to get.