Tragedy at Frisco Freedom Fest

jays2000

Prayers and thoughts please for the little girl who fell from the zip line tonight.

I don't have any details at this time other than it appeared she fell from its highest point, just in front of the platform. Hope she is ok.

ashwi

Diamond Member
Oh no! We were there tonight for fireworks and soccer game. This is the first that I am hearing about the accident :(

jays2000

I'm really surprised none of the news outlets picked up on this.

The accident occurred a little after 8 PM as we were walking back to the parking garage. We heard the siren of the medical cart making its way through the crowd behind us and saw police officers telling everyone to get back.

Medical personnel were already there treating the girl. We could only see her legs, but she appeared to be ~8 years old. Family members were distraught as you could imagine.

About 30 minutes later the ambulance took her away, and we noticed the long line of people still waiting their turn, which seemed odd to me. They might have believed as I did initially that it was heat/exhaustion related.

I had gone with my son a few hours earlier and felt the need to tighten his shoulder straps, but I can't speculate whether she slipped out of her harness, or if her connection to the zip line itself failed. The latter seems more likely given where she landed, a nearly 3 story drop.

We still feel awful for the girl and her family. I want to respect their privacy but can't help but wonder if she is OK.

SOP (Standard operating procedures) should have been to shut it down for the night. I'm surprised that the vendor didn't shut it down - or that the city didn't pull their permit pending final conclusive investigation of cause.

Also, I would not put my children on that ride that same night - I am cautious about small vendor operated rides in general. (I was dropped from a parasailing ride from a small untrained and uninsured vendor when I was 21. I've been cautious with my family members ever since.)

My prayers for the young girl's quick recovery.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
I'm really surprised none of the news outlets picked up on this.

The accident occurred a little after 8 PM as we were walking back to the parking garage. We heard the siren of the medical cart making its way through the crowd behind us and saw police officers telling everyone to get back.

Medical personnel were already there treating the girl. We could only see her legs, but she appeared to be ~8 years old. Family members were distraught as you could imagine.

About 30 minutes later the ambulance took her away, and we noticed the long line of people still waiting their turn, which seemed odd to me. They might have believed as I did initially that it was heat/exhaustion related.

I had gone with my son a few hours earlier and felt the need to tighten his shoulder straps, but I can't speculate whether she slipped out of her harness, or if her connection to the zip line itself failed. The latter seems more likely given where she landed, a nearly 3 story drop.

We still feel awful for the girl and her family. I want to respect their privacy but can't help but wonder if she is OK.
They took her over to the fire station and put her on Care-Flight. Maybe no news is good news.

mikel

Platinum Member
The Children's Expo web page contains this disclaimer: "All rides have an assumed risk of injury. The City of Frisco and its vendors may not be held liable for any accident or injury as a result of any incident either preventable or otherwise."
I have a feeling gross negligence can't be waved off like this..

Piiilot

Platinum Member
I have a feeling gross negligence can't be waved off like this..
Really ? You have already made a determination that is was "Gross Negligence" - Wow why don't you tell us how you reached that finding - better yet, why don't you tell us the definition of Gross Negligence - do you even know ?

lets not start down this path, let the police other governing bodies do their due diligence, and let the facts surface before we start throwing assumptions around.

Brian

Diamond Member
Glad to see that the ride was immediately shut down for the night (per FPD's news release) vs what was originally reported.
I wouldn't call it 'originally reported' ... more like rumored... but I do love the FOL Titles.. Tragedy. I came looking for an electrician's phone number and find a Tragedy had happened.

Also, I would not put my children on that ride that same night - I am cautious about small vendor operated rides in general. (I was dropped from a parasailing ride from a small untrained and uninsured vendor when I was 21. I've been cautious with my family members ever since.)

Yes I agree 8 years old my god parents today do they think ..This is like that man who let an inexperienced 16 year old jump out of freakin plane.

So sad

Mom+4

Silver Member

Yes I agree 8 years old my god parents today do they think ..This is like that man who let an inexperienced 16 year old jump out of freakin plane.

So sad
I've used that vendor in the past and thousands and thousands of kids of all ages have ridden that ride with no issues.

We don't know the details of exactly what happened...

But hey...let's start blaming the parent.

jays2000

I wouldn't call it 'originally reported' ... more like rumored... but I do love the FOL Titles.. Tragedy. I came looking for an electrician's phone number and find a Tragedy had happened.
Is it not tragic that a young girl who attended a festival with her family ended up in the hospital? I tried to keep subjectivity out of my post as much as I could, but was genuinely concerned that she wouldn't make it. Someone mentioned that she hit a steel beam during her fall. She wasn't crying out and her family members were completely grief stricken. The entire scene looked grim.

The next time something like this happens I'll make sure to refer to it as an "unfortunate incident" if that so pleases the Hyperbole Police.

mikel

Platinum Member
Really ? You have already made a determination that is was "Gross Negligence" - Wow why don't you tell us how you reached that finding - better yet, why don't you tell us the definition of Gross Negligence - do you even know ?

lets not start down this path, let the police other governing bodies do their due diligence, and let the facts surface before we start throwing assumptions around.
No, I just countered the news report that nobody would be held liable... But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was. We'll likely never know.