Tip Uber and Lyft drivers?

Do you tip your Uber and Lyft drivers?

I always do. It’s a service and frankly, a step up from taxi services. I feel like the cost for them to maintain private vehicles, keep them clean and pay for rising gas prices will cause them to quit providing the service without the tips.

I have two friends that drive for both, and they say they rarely get tips. They have also quit picking up people that generally don’t tip. They were saying that without the tips, they don’t make much when it comes to the wear on their cars.

Based on it being a service industry and listening to them complain about the tip issue, I think tipping is probably appropriate.

Am I the only one that thinks you should tip? I have just as many friends that never tip them.

Thoughts?

sjdfw

Silver Member
I stopped taking Uber because you couldn’t tip on the app, maybe they changed it. I’ve been using Lyft and like it better than Uber, I can tip, put in multiple stops. I always tip though. Also, Lyft drivers can rate passengers just like passengers can rate the drivers. From my understanding, the application will try not to match up people that have negatively rated someone.

AGH

Gold Member
You can tip and review drivers on Uber now. I set up my profile to tip 25% automatically and then generally tip additionally depending on the friendliness of the driver.

planomateo

Platinum Member
Uber didn't share with their customers they were hacked, opted to pay the hackers and hid this from their customers for a very long time. @#!$ Uber!

mantikos

Bronze Member
Do you tip your Uber and Lyft drivers?

I always do. It’s a service and frankly, a step up from taxi services. I feel like the cost for them to maintain private vehicles, keep them clean and pay for rising gas prices will cause them to quit providing the service without the tips.

I have two friends that drive for both, and they say they rarely get tips. They have also quit picking up people that generally don’t tip (Indians and Brits). They were saying that without the tips, they don’t make much when it comes to the wearon their cars.

Based on it being a service industry and listening to them complain about the tip issue, I think tipping is probably appropriate.

Am I the only one that thinks you should tip? I have just as many friends that never tip them.

Thoughts?
I always tip - unless the service was below par (that's only happened once). With that said, it is a service - tips are a reward for going above and beyond, not a guarantee and therefore shouldn't always be expected.

However, your friend sounds like a stereotyping racist jackass. If your friend doesn't make enough money to profit from driving, maybe they should do something else for a living instead of profiling people.