The DOJ OIG Report on the Clinton Investigation

Wedge

Gold Member
Looks like Bloomberg got a sneak peek before it's publicly released this afternoon. Doesn't sound so good for the "Lock her up" crowd from the early read but I'm reserving judgment until I can read it all in context. Their story seems to indicate that Comey broke with procedure but didn't do so based on political considerations.

While we did not find that these decisions were the result of political bias on Comey’s part, we nevertheless concluded that by departing so clearly and dramatically from FBI and department norms, the decisions negatively impacted the perception of the FBI and the department as fair administrators of justice,” Inspector General Michael Horowitz said in the report’s conclusions, which were obtained Thursday by Bloomberg News.
So, bad for the FBI and Comey from a PR perspective.

As for Strzok and Page...

We did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that improper considerations, including political bias, directly affected the specific investigative actions we reviewed,” Horowitz said in the report to be issued Thursday. “The conduct by these employees cast a cloud over the entire FBI investigation.”
Guess we'll see what the full report says. I already see right wingers on Twitter trying to downplay it by saying that all the incriminating stuff got redacted. Conspiracy theorists gonna theorize, I guess.

Wedge

Gold Member
Report is out.

Probably plenty to cherry pick out of there but the conclusion is very clear.

Despite the appearance of bias created by these actions, the OIG found no evidence that
bias affected any investigatory decision or action
. As determined by the OIG, there was no
evidence of bias or other improper considerations in former Director Comey’s instruction to
complete the MYE investigation “promptly.” Likewise, the OIG considered multiple decisions
and actions taken by the MYE team related to obtaining evidence, interview timing and
procedures, and the use of consent or immunity agreements. No evidence of bias or other
improper considerations was found by the OIG in the MYE team’s: use of consent, rather than
subpoenas, search warrants, or other legal process to obtain evidence; decisions regarding how to
limit consent agreements; decision not to seek personal devices from former Secretary Clinton’s
senior aides; decisions to enter into immunity agreements; decisions regarding the timing and
scoping of former Secretary Clinton’s interview, or to proceed with the interview with Cheryl
Mills and Heather Samuelson present; and, the decision to obtain testimony and other evidence
from Ms. Mills and Ms. Samuelson by consent agreement and with act-of-production immunity.
Womp womp.

Nothing burger, after all that talk from Republicans.

Wedge

Gold Member
Oh hey look at this, too.

The OIG found that several FBI employees had exchanged text messages, instant
messages, or both that included political statements. The OIG also found that some messages appeared to mix political opinion with discussions about the MYE investigation. The OIG
concluded there is no evidence to connect the political views expressed by these employees with
the specific MYE investigative decisions.
So the "Strzok and Page texting things about Trump means they were biased and tanked the investigation!" talking point is dead.

Wedge

Gold Member
Plenty in here about the process of the investigation, too.

Failure to quickly address the emails on Weiner's laptop (which reads like a bunch of circular CYA, but interesting that they mention staff having shifted to the Russia investigation as a cause for delay). Insubordination by Comey for deciding to go public and excoriate Clinton. The realization in early spring that there simply wasn't evidence to support a recommendation to prosecute.

Funny thing, though. Most if not all of these failures ultimately helped Trump and hurt Clinton.

Wedge

Gold Member
Oh, and I absolutely have to point this out because...just...I mean...

The OIG found that former Director Comey used personal email accounts for unclassified FBI business, absent exigent circumstances, in contravention of FBI and DOJ policy.
No evidence of any classified information being transmitted in those personal accounts but still, come on.

Wedge

Gold Member
Oh, and that tarmac meeting?

Although we found no evidence that Lynch and former President Clinton discussed the Midyear investigation or engaged in other inappropriate discussion during their tarmac meeting on June 27, 2016, we also found that Lynch’s failure to recognize the appearance problem created by former President Clinton’s visit and to take action to cut the visit short was an error in judgment.
Oh no. An error in judgment. The scandal!

Meanwhile, in the New York FBI field office...

Baker told us that “the discussion was somebody in New York will leak this.” Baker continued, “[W]hat we discussed was the possibility that if we go forward with the search warrant and take that step, that’s a step being taken in the Hillary Clinton investigation. And that’s what will leak.” Baker explained, “[T]he sense was that that this significant of a step is not going to go unnoticed. And if we don’t put something out, somebody will leak it. That’s just what we talked about.”
Which means that the FBI's decision to notify Congress in late October 2016, directly impacting tbe election, was motivated at least in part by concerns that anti-Clinton FBI agents would leak to the press and damage the FBI's reputation.

In other words, they chose to damage the Clinton campaign rather than potentially damage themselves by adhering to internal policies.

Trump owes them. Big time.

Though I will say this too.

If Bill Clinton had just stayed home instead of having that tarmac meeting, things wouldn't have unfolded the way they did. No tarmac meeting means she doesn't defer to Comey, which means she stops Comey from having his big press conference. It probably also means it keeps him from notifying Congress in late October because he has to follow protocol.

So basically Comey, McCabe, Bill Clinton, and Weiner all played their own special part in derailing the election.

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
Bill Clinton meeting with Loretta Lynch was as dumb as Trump meeting with Russian spies in the Oval Office and stating that he got rid of Comey.

The political class no loner needs to worry what the American people think, we’re too busy fighting over Civil war trophy’s and gender pronouns.

Hmmmmmm.

And then I said, now, we’ve got to talk about the New York office in general. And he said yes. And I said we both work with them. We both know them. We both, you know, think highly of them. I said,
but this has become a problem. And he said, and he said to me that it had become clear to him, he didn’t say over the course of what investigation or whatever, he said it’s clear to me that there is a cadre of senior people in New York who have a deep and visceral hatred of Secretary Clinton. And he said it is, it is deep. It’s, and he said, he said it was surprising to him or stunning to him.

You know, I didn’t get the impression he was agreeing with it at all, by the way. But he was saying it did exist, and it was hard to manage because these were agents that were very, very senior, or had even had timed out and were staying on, and therefore did not really feel under pressure from headquarters or anything to that effect. And I
said, you know, I’m aware of that.... I said, I wasn’t aware it was to this level and this depth that you’re talking about, but I said I’m sad to say that that does not surprise me.
That's Lynch talking about a meeting she had with Comey about FBI leaks. Massive bias in the New York office against Clinton.

I wonder if Nunes is going to demand all the emails and text messages from those agents.

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
If anything, Comey gave the win to Trump by talking about the Hillary investigation and keeping quiet about the Trump investigation.

Trump should give Comey a free room at Trump tower. The same for the tweeting love birds who disliked Trump, they helped to make the investigation look political, Trump should at least give them a couple of weeks, all expenses paid, in his Dubai Hotel with First Class air fare.

Between the news media covering Trump like the only news story in town and the FBI always talking about Hillary, Trump got elected.

Last edited: