Taxes filed....Not by us!

FlyBy

Bronze Member
Just found out that "someone" using our SS#s has already filed taxes for 2015. Now what? Anyone else had to deal with this? I think I see a big mess coming. DH is so worried, he wants to go and pull everything out of all financial entities.:scared:

cyning

Sorry to hear this. It happened to me once. It's a pain and you're going to need to do several things.

You're should file a report with the local police and file a complaint with the FTC. The police and FTC reports won't actually get anything much in the way of an investigation going, but will document that you had an ID theft so that if there are continuing problems, you have a paper trail. Sometimes the ID thieves will pretend to be you in the future and these records will help protect you and prove it wasn't you.

Contact at least one of the big three credit reporting services and put a fraud alert on your credit record.

There is also an ID theft form you want to file with the IRS. I think it's Form 14039, an ID theft affidavit but I'm not certain that is exactly the name and form number. The IRS will assign you a special PIN code to use next year when you file your taxes so they know that it's really you.

Also, contact the Social Security Administration and let them know. If the ID thieves filed a fake tax return, they have your SS number and may try to do something there too.

You probably should contact your bank, credit card companies, anybody you have an investment account with like Vanguard, Chales Schwab, Fidelity, etc. and put them on notice of the ID theft. In many cases, they can note your account file and increase the level of security associated with it in a variety of ways. Each of them can go over with you what it is they can do.

Take good notes of all the conversations you have when doing these things, get the names and phone numbers of who you talk to in case you need to get back to them and keep copies of all the forms. I suggest getting a folder, putting everything in that folder and keeping it somewhere where you can easily find it if you need it.

Here are some useful websites with more information. Good luck, be patient and stay diligent!

www.irs.gov/Individuals/Identity-Protection

www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft

www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft

www.justice.gov/criminal-fraud/identity-theft/identity-theft-and-identity-fraud

FlyBy

Bronze Member
Thanks so much cyning...Well, looks like we have our hands full of things to do. I really need to talk my DH into a great computer security system instead of the free one he has us on.

We have HP service, but every time we have any issues with our computers...we get this random call from someone saying they are from Microsoft and they have been alerted to some kind of issue that they need to fix immediately for XXX amount of dollars. (Very hard to understand accents)

Any suggestions for securing computer is most welcome.

Again..Thank You!

cyning

I'm not sure what sort of computer security system you're looking for, but I did see this article which is very recent and might be helpful if a Symantec or Bitdefender type software suite is what you're looking for

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

However, I know there are other FOL posters who have more experience and knowledge on the subject than I do. Hopefully one of them will see this thread and can offer advice.

Also, if you get an unsolicited call from anybody who says there's something wrong with your computer, but they'll fix it for a price, hang up. It's a scam.

JaLynnC

Bronze Member
Cynic get is pretty much right. I am a CPA and have several clients a year in your same situation. What we have seen is that this pretty much isolated to the tax return filings - none of them have had other areas of their identity breached. File the ID Theft Affidavit with your tax return on paper. It will take quite a while for the return to process so if you are due a refund, you can plan to wait a while. I have seen them take 6 months or longer to process. The ID theft unit has been inundated and is struggling to keep up. Also don't be surprised if you send the ID Theft Affidavit with your return and they still send you a letter asking for the form. They are woefully under equipped to handle all the cases.

I will say the IRS systems are getting better at detecting fraudulent returns and they are stopping them before they actually process the fraudulent refunds.

This has been a huge pain for me, my identity was not stolen but I've been waiting almost 2 years for a refund because it was flagged as identity theft. I wish I could wait 2 years to pay my taxes!

FlyBy

Bronze Member
Thanks JaLynnC...That is how we found out about this mess. Our Tax guy just called us today and said that he got the alert when trying to find out why some of our stuff was not going through as normal. No refund involved. And we already paid all due. Just hope what we paid did not go to "mystery" person.

Very confused and not sure where to start. But the info from above is good jump off start. Have meeting on Monday...so will start there.

Having roof replaced this week and other damage AND supposed to be getting new house. This may just put a booger on that also.

Instead of just of just praying twice a day....may need to amp that up!!!

Thanks all for your input!

My boyfriends SS# got stolen a few years ago when he still lived up in Chicago. The person who stole his identity was in South Carolina (a place he had never been!) and claimed SIX dependents!

He filed all the paperwork needed, but never thought that South Carolina had state taxes that were taken as well, and now he's just working with the state to get that in order!

This is the first year in quite a few years he's actually GETTING a refund because of his identity being stolen, and he's still owed thousands, but he's quite happy about it!

Good luck! I know what a stressful mess it is!

ISIS and these damn Muslims have been getting really crafty stealing identity. I bet it them.
I heard ISIS has a wind machine and they are causing all this turbulent weather. ISIS is also making Minnesota beat the Dallas Stars.

OR, it could be a 30+ year old scam that the IRS just makes it too easy to perpetuate. You have had your identity stolen. Where the SSN number was stolen?? Difficult to say unless you can string a number of instances together. Was it your school system, your insurance provider, a doctor's office, a bank, your employer??? Who knows, but clearly the numerous places your SSN is sitting in various states of security make it east pickings for a criminal.

Banks have long gone to two factor authentication and it's high time that the IRS eliminates ALL non-digital communication and institutes a tight security policy. I would also like to see a separation of a Financial ID and Unique ID. The financial ID is used for IRS, Employers and banks. Unique ID is for everything else. My Dad is going through Cancer treatment right now and his SSN has been propagated to over 20 institutions. There is NO REASON for this. They use it as a unique identifier not taxation.

Opus

Silver Member
How do they file with all the correct info that the IRS would be matching? Not sure how the w-2's are imported but I guess they must be able to get the info or the IRS would reject the return. Do they just do mass filings and most get rejected by the IRS for missing info?

How do they file with all the correct info that the IRS would be matching? Not sure how the w-2's are imported but I guess they must be able to get the info or the IRS would reject the return. Do they just do mass filings and most get rejected by the IRS for missing info?

I know once he reported the issue, from that next year on, every year the IRS mails him a special pin number he has to use when filing his taxes.

JaLynnC

Bronze Member
Will the IRS pay penalties/interest if they owe you money after someone fraudulently files on your behalf?

The IRS matching program take a year or so before anything kicks out. They accept a tax return as correct unless something is WAY out of the norm. Later when the SSA sends the W-2 info to the IRS, the matching program kicks in. By then, 1000's of fraudulent returns have already processed.

They do pay interest on delayed refunds when it is their processing delay.

JaLynnC

Bronze Member
I know once he reported the issue, from that next year on, every year the IRS mails him a special pin number he has to use when filing his taxes.
Once you are in the ID Theft system, you can't file WITHOUT the ID Theft PIN - or at least you can't e-file. They will only allow people who have already been affected by ID Theft to get the special PIN. There are also some states that have been exceptionally hard hit so all residents of those states can get a PIN.

Opus

Silver Member
I had my return matched within a few weeks after filing a few years ago. They sent it back saying something didn't match their records.

It is stuff like this that makes me in favor of them sending out tax returns already filled out for you.

I had my return matched within a few weeks after filing a few years ago. They sent it back saying something didn't match their records.

It is stuff like this that makes me in favor of them sending out tax returns already filled out for you.
Intuit would just get everyone worked up over the evil IRS if it even looked like that might happen.