Tablets - Auses vs Samsung Galaxy tab

Anybody have any thoughts.

Bestbuy has the 10 inch screen versions for $400. They both look identical to me and have the same Android
ice cream interface.

I'm leaning towards the Auses because it has 32 MB vs the 16 on the Samsung. The Auses also has an HDMI
mini port (the Samsung does not) which I thought might be handy.

From what I have read the Auses brand seems to get strong reviews - as does the Samsung.

rayearth

Gold Member
I love my Asus Nexus 7... but it only cost $250. Are you set on a 10"? If not, the 7" Nexus 7 with Jellybean is a great deal. If you need 3G, you can buy pre-paid 3G/4G wifi hotspots that are as cheap if not cheaper than a plan. And there are rumors that there may be a 3G Nexus 7 in about 6 weeks.

I love my Asus Nexus 7... but it only cost $250. Are you set on a 10"? If not, the 7" Nexus 7 with Jellybean is a great deal. If you need 3G, you can buy pre-paid 3G/4G wifi hotspots that are as cheap if not cheaper than a plan. And there are rumors that there may be a 3G Nexus 7 in about 6 weeks.
I need to talk to my 20 year old (thats who I am getting it for) about the 10 inch vs the 7 inch.

Today was the 1st day I actually looked at them. I have very small hands so the 7 seemed almost easier to hold with one hand and text with the other. This seemed a whole lot more cumbersome with the 10 inch. My son has
much bigger mitts than I do so it might not be as big as an issue for him.

If he does want the 7 inch than I would put the Google Nexus 7 back on the selection list.

Personally I would still get a laptop if it were for me but I guess I'm just hopelessly old school.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Both are junk, get an iPad.
Don't listen to them.
For the price you are talking it sounds like you are talking about the Asus TF300T. I actually bought it back in July. Yesterday I was at BB and saw the TF700T. Wow, now that was nice. I actually took my TF300T back and got the TF700T. Sure it was $100 more, but it was well worth it.
Much faster, much nicer. If you can I would go for the TF700T. If not the TF300T is a good machine as well, but the things that got me to upgrade/pay more were.
1. Corning Glass/Gorilla Glass
2. Faster processor.
3. Better screen resolution
4. Brighter screen.
5 back camera has led flash.

To me it's well worth the upgrade, but you can't go wrong with Asus.
Actually, the TF300T is already upgraded to Jelly Bean. You will do the update once you buy it. The TF700T should be coming soon.

theoracle

Silver Member
Both are junk, get an iPad.
Have you tried both of the tablets in question before making the comment? I have used both and I'll take my Samsung over the iPad any day. I prefer the Samsung over the Asus but would likely look at the Google Nexus as it is easier to take to read at lunch.

Don't listen to them.

For the price you are talking it sounds like you are talking about the Asus TF300T. I actually bought it back in July. Yesterday I was at BB and saw the TF700T. Wow, now that was nice. I actually took my TF300T back and got the TF700T. Sure it was $100 more, but it was well worth it.
Much faster, much nicer. If you can I would go for the TF700T. If not the TF300T is a good machine as well, but the things that got me to upgrade/pay more were.
1. Corning Glass/Gorilla Glass
2. Faster processor.
3. Better screen resolution
4. Brighter screen.
5 back camera has led flash.

To me it's well worth the upgrade, but you can't go wrong with Asus.
Actually, the TF300T is already upgraded to Jelly Bean. You will do the update once you buy it. The TF700T should be coming soon.
Since he can really not come up with any hard justification on what he would actually use a tablet (or a laptop for that matter) for I am very reluctant to spend another $100 for the TF700T. He will probably just use it to surf the internet on the couch instead of walking into the study to use the high end machine we keep in there. He will probably lay in his bed in his room and watch movies. I do plan on spending a $100 to get an accident planbecause this is something HE WILL PROBABLY USE !

I'm trying to keep an open mind through all this and am reading everyones comments and weighting them in my mind so keep your thoughts coming. I do plan on spending another $100 for the accident insurance plan which I thought HE WILL USE.

This will probably be his own internet machine when he moves into his own apartment within another nine months.

Zoedad21

If web browsing is your main use for the device, get an iPad.

We have an iPad II and an Asus TF300T. The browsing experience on the iPad is, imo, a much better experience.

I've tried the stock, Chrome, Opera, and Dolphin browsers on the Asus and the iPad is just a more intuitive experience.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
What the hell is intuitive about clicking on a link and looking at the content 1/2 of which doesn't work on an ipad due to flash:lmao:
I use both and the "experience" isnt better on an ipad. :lol:

Also, I don't think anyone asked for an ipad opinion
Spam and troll, just like the other one. Just not as obvious.

One thing I forgot to add, Asus has a nice Keyboard dock that also has batteries in it. It gives you a full USB, Full SD card and a touchpad mouse.
I haven't picked one up yet, but I am planning on it.

Spam and troll, just like the other one. Just not as obvious.

One thing I forgot to add, Asus has a nice Keyboard dock that also has batteries in it. It gives you a full USB, Full SD card and a touchpad mouse.
I haven't picked one up yet, but I am planning on it.
Both the Ausus and Samsung have onboard SD card storage. The Asus also have onboard USB port but the
Samsung does not.

My son used to be an Iphone guy but gave it up for a Samsung Android a year ago and never looked back. I could be happy with either but I do like they way Android lets you customize your screens without being a geek and having to learn all the techno stuff.

So far I'm leaning towards the Ausus. I might wait to buy until November and maybe I could get one of these units for $50 less.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Both the Ausus and Samsung have onboard SD card storage. The Asus also have onboard USB port but the
Samsung does not.

My son used to be an Iphone guy but gave it up for a Samsung Android a year ago and never looked back. I could be happy with either but I do like they way Android lets you customize your screens without being a geek and having to learn all the techno stuff.

So far I'm leaning towards the Ausus. I might wait to buy until November and maybe I could get one of these units for $50 less.
If you are looking at the $399 Samsung tab 2 10.1 vs the Asus TF300T, I would go with the Asus.
The Asus doesn't have a USB port on the device itself, it has an HDMI port.
The USB port is part of the docking keyboard. They both have a micro SD card slot, but the Asus dock as the Full SD slot.
Samsung is a 16GB device, the Asus is 32GB.

The Asus is less customized from Asus so I believe that is how they roll out the Android updates so fast.

The reason I asked about the phone was to see if he had an android already. Usually it makes sense to pick one family. Windows/Apple/Android and stick with them since what you buy on one is available for the other.

If you wait until November, have him save up some money and add $100 to it and get the TF700T. By the time November rolls around, the TF300T will already be 8 months old which for tablet world is getting pretty old. Just food for thought.

If you are looking at the $399 Samsung tab 2 10.1 vs the Asus TF300T, I would go with the Asus.
The Asus doesn't have a USB port on the device itself, it has an HDMI port.
The USB port is part of the docking keyboard. They both have a micro SD card slot, but the Asus dock as the Full SD slot.
Samsung is a 16GB device, the Asus is 32GB.

The Asus is less customized from Asus so I believe that is how they roll out the Android updates so fast.

The reason I asked about the phone was to see if he had an android already. Usually it makes sense to pick one family. Windows/Apple/Android and stick with them since what you buy on one is available for the other.

If you wait until November, have him save up some money and add $100 to it and get the TF700T. By the time November rolls around, the TF300T will already be 8 months old which for tablet world is getting pretty old. Just food for thought.
I'm kind of liking your idea. I might be able to catch a $50 price break on my share and it would force my kid to put some skin in the game himself.

I've played with all three. The iPad wins hands down, on really all aspects, but really the apps are what make a tablet, and Apple is just better at distributing and developing(through independent developers) apps that are relevant today.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
I've played with all three. The iPad wins hands down, on really all aspects, but really the apps are what make a tablet, and Apple is just better at distributing and developing(through independent developers) apps that are relevant today.
Does Apple have autobots that spams forums when someone says Samsung/Asus or Apple?

Zoedad21

For my second post, I'll clarify the first.

I waited until the TF300T came out to buy it because I wanted the quad core processor, faster RAM, Flash, SD RAM port, and dockable keyboard with battery.

For me, I almost exclusively use the table for surfing the web and for me, it's a much smoother experience on the iPad. Android seems to stutter a bit after a long browsing session and I'm conscious to not have any extra programs running in the background. After a reboot, the issue clears up.

I was very close to buying a Chromebook but was worried that Google would abandon the OS.

I'm a long-time lurker who hasn't posted because I don't post to pad my count. If that invalidates your opinion of me, no worries.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
I was wondering that too, 2 people with less than 10 posts comment to buy apple, one of whom has 2 posts. Hmmm Apple desperate?
Ditto that. We have a Moto Xoom that is over a year old and a new iPad 2 and the Xoom gets far more use. The ability to add external SD memory alone is enough to make ANY of the Android tablets a better choice than the Apple.

I mean, if your only reason for getting a tablet is web browsing, why pay even $400 for an iPad when one of those cheapie no-name brand Andoids from MicroCenter for $100 will do the same thing?

The Xoom has the HDMI port and I have yet to find a reason to use it.

What the hell is intuitive about clicking on a link and looking at the content 1/2 of which doesn't work on an ipad due to flash:lmao:
I use both and the "experience" isnt better on an ipad. :lol:

Also, I don't think anyone asked for an ipad opinion
Apple fanboys who believe that Steve Jobs invented the rectangle just need more help with simple tasks than the rest of us. Not surprised that Apple is taking up forum trolling with all of the patent trolling they've done recently.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
I prefer the iPad as well, but if I was gonna get an Android Tablet I would go for the ASUS..

I have a rooted nook tablet and I dont like it..