Switching from a SUV to a Car

Has anyone made this switch? I have been driving a SUV since our son was a baby - he is 15 now. While I love the SUV's - I am kind of coming to a point where I don't know if I need that much of a vehicle anymore. We are obviously past the stage of car seats, etc. In addition, thinking of making the switch from Toyota/Lexus to Honda :). Seriously thinking of a new Honda Accord - LOVE the big back up camera plus Honda is offering 0.9 financing currently. I have also read that there really isn't any more room in a SUV vs. a mid size car unless you have the really big SUV's. I currently have a Lexus RX and while I do really like it, they are more expensive to maintain with gas, oil changes, servicing, etc.

The Honda dealership let us have an Accord for the weekend to test it out and must say I love it. It drives really smooth. I drive from Frisco to Richardson for work so I need something reliable and I know Honda would fit that bill.

Thoughts??

golfacct

Silver Member
I have never needed an SUV but have always liked them. When I decided to go from the SUV to car I missed the SUV and when I got the chance, sold the car and went back. I like being higher up in the SUV so I can see around all the other big cars are trucks on the road. I also like the room you get for going shopping for the bigger items that will not fit in a car.

I also think it depends on the size SUV you have. I have a MDX so not as big as some of the other SUV's out there so it moves like a bigger car but not like a big truck.

I couldn't make the transition (I really tried) - so I drive both a large SUV and a small Lexus. 5 cars in our family, but 2 are my personal daily drivers. For longer trips outside of the DFW area I like the visibility and safety of the SUV, room for luggage, the dog etc., more leg room/TV for the kids on vacation, or when I need to pull a trailer or boat, go to the dump, go to Lowes, or move furniture etc. or if I need a 7 passenger vehicle when grandparents etc. are house guests.

The small Lexus is cheaper on gas and I use it mostly within the Collin county area - I rarely go south of 121. I miss the visibility of sitting up higher (left turns and u-turns on Preston are scary - I can't see above other cars) and I don't feel safe in a major accident. But it sure is easier to park and back up. Better gas mileage too. Much more fun to maneuver, take corners, etc. - SUV's are not fun (seriously no joy) to drive in contrast - so I feel your pain.

Though your transition from an RX will really be no big deal. My wife had the RX300 the first year it came out - it's really no different than a car sitting up a few inches higher. No more trunk room than a regular car - we bought it as a transition from the "small kids mini-van stage" of our lives. Got rid of it - it was too tight on the interior for road trips - plus the turning radius sucked (hopefully it got better in later models.)

Though your transition from an RX will really be no big deal. My wife had the RX300 the first year it came out - it's really no different than a car sitting up a few inches higher. No more trunk room than a regular car - we bought it as a transition from the "small kids mini-van stage" of our lives. Got rid of it - it was too tight on the interior for road trips - plus the turning radius sucked (hopefully it got better in later models.)
Agree on the sizing.... the RX is just not that big compared to a car - drives great, just like a car but not that much room so another reason I am thinking of switching. I just don't want to regret giving up the SUV.

SkiBum

Platinum Member
I went from a Jeep Liberty to a Mini Cooper... I don't think your transition will be any issue! LOL.

I just went from the Mini to a smaller sedan (2008 BMW 335i) and really, really love it. It's just my size. Not too big.

I went from driving a full size Tahoe for 10 years to a mid size sedan. I really like the maneuverability and the gas mileage. There are times that I miss the visibility, but overall it was a nice change. I might go back to a full size SUV if I get a job back in Frisco, but right now with commuting to Richardson it is nice to only have to fill up once a week.

I will say that I get cut off quite a bit more now being in a sedan. :)

MSJ

Triple Platinum
The main thing I miss is not being able to see over/ around other cars. The wife still has a mid size SUV and I can get my DS to haul stuff in his truck when needed. This way I not only get the truck but also get some muscle.

angelaN

Platinum Member
I went from an older mini-van (Odyssey) to a Camry hybrid.

I love it!! I don't love the Camry as it as staid as staid can be but love driving a car vs a larger vehicle. My Camry gets 43-48 miles per gallon so I am filling up once a week instead of 3 times. I love the ease of movement and they accelaration and stopping time. So much easier to drive.

We kept the mini-van (it was old and paid for). We still have it if we need to buy a sheet of plywood or cart around 5 or six stinky soccer players.

mridgley

Triple Platinum
Went from a Chevy truck to an Altima and then most recently from the Altima to a Subaru Crosstrek. I'm 6' 230ish (not a small guy) and I love having a small vehicle. My deal now is the MPG. It's really hard for me to justify buying a 50K truck or SUV and then having to constantly fill it up. For me, it doesn't make much sense.

I require both. I need a truck or SUV for hauling around all stuff, and a smaller car for just jetting around town. Thinking about a smart car as my next purchase

mom22bz

I tried to downsize from SUV (Explorer) to a car several years ago but couldn't do it. So I went with a Honda CRV. Smaller than the Explorer but still has room in the back area and I ride above the cars. It's my second CRV. Love it. Has the back-up camera as well. Good luck.