Standalone ER closed

DLPisGreat

Bronze Member
The new standalone ER that was by Centennial HS has closed up. Signs all covered in black plastic, etc.
I think it was only open for 6-7 months.

Think it was too close to the hospital to be viable?

That was a lot of money to dump into a building and then vacate it.

Sumtingwong

Most of the ones I have seen have been purchased and made part of the Texas Health Resource. I am sure there is good money in those ER they have built all over the area.

Jayhawk

Gold Member
It was open like 6 months. I drive past it almost every day. I never saw cars there except for the 2 people on staff. Huge loss for whoever put the money up. Guess they thought us eastsiders had money to spend there.

sjdfw

Silver Member
I don't see how alot of these are staying (or will stay) in business, they are all over the place. I don't see how the population can support as many that are out there and the costs are sky high.

Guess they thought us eastsiders had money to spend there.

What in the hell were they thinking? Eastsiders with money?

I bet there is one on every corner of every neighborhood on the prestigious West Side of Frisco, Texas. In fact, I bet they are not only staffed with ER docs, but they probably have pediatricians, OB/GYN and cosmetic surgeons just waiting on the influential people over there.

pearceg

Diamond Member
The new standalone ER that was by Centennial HS has closed up. Signs all covered in black plastic, etc.
I think it was only open for 6-7 months.

Think it was too close to the hospital to be viable?
Somewhat, but mostly it's a terrible location. You can't see it from Coit and Rolater doesn't carry that much traffic to drive the kind of awareness it needs.

A friend of mine is a doc at a couple of these facilities and investor in a couple more (not the one by Centennial HS though). He said they're generally profitable at 10 patients a day, and ones with really low overhead can turn a profit on 8 patients a day.... which goes to show what kind of patient levels this facility was seeing.

Jayhawk

Gold Member
Somewhat, but mostly it's a terrible location. You can't see it from Coit and Rolater doesn't carry that much traffic to drive the kind of awareness it needs.

A friend of mine is a doc at a couple of these facilities and investor in a couple more (not the one by Centennial HS though). He said they're generally profitable at 10 patients a day, and ones with really low overhead can turn a profit on 8 patients a day.... which goes to show what kind of patient levels this facility was seeing.
Fascinating to hear how much profit they are making off of each patient. I can't imagine what the lease payment alone is on a building like that. More power to them if they can make it work. I think I will just go to the hospital if I need help.

sjdfw

Silver Member
I don't know. I don't have the heart to tell my friend I think their entire business model is based in large part on people thinking they're going to an urgent care doc-in-the-box, then getting billed at ER rates.
Yep, that's what happened to us, lesson learned. My wife had to get stitches when she cut her fingers on a mandolin. Our out of pocket was $900 and they billed the insurance around $2500.

Opus

Silver Member
I don't know. I don't have the heart to tell my friend I think their entire business model is based in large part on people thinking they're going to an urgent care doc-in-the-box, then getting billed at ER rates.
I think that is what hurts them long term. I've heard of people going in for common things such as strep and getting billed as ER visit.

sjdfw

Silver Member
Looks like another ER went out of business, I drove by the one on 121/Custer in front of the new Wal-Mart, the doors were closed up and signs were down. Not too much of a surprise, there is Medical City Plano ER about a mile down the road as well as the hospital ER.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
Good these ER's rip you off,
Places like Care Now, Concentra and the minor care clinics that are being set up in places like Walgreen's serve a purpose. If you need a ER go to a real ER.