School year starting so early!!!

Why do they want our kids to start school earlier every year???? Last year they started on August 23rd, and this year on August 16th, on a Thursday . Seriously?????
It is so hot right now. It does not make any sense. Why not keepeing the kids at school the first week of June and let families and kids enjoy the month of August for vacation. What is next???? Starting the first week of August??? So upset!!

I’m a big fan of Thursday as opening day. Teachers really like it vs Monday first days. The teachers & staff are so beat in preparing for school the weeks before. Then the first couple of days are largely nonproductive for the students - all they really accomplish is getting oriented to the new classes & trying to get back in routine. This way by starting on Thursday, teachers & students get a break (teachers get reenergized and can prepare better for their first week of lesson plans) with all the “crap” out of the way, before serious focused learning begins the next Monday.

Chris1771

Silver Member
I like the Thursday start to get kids acclimated to the change in schedule.

I’m all for year round school with 1-2 week breaks scattered throughout the year. I think our kids would benefit academically.

BeerGirl

Diamond Member
I like the early start date. I actually would like year round school. That means I can take my kids on vacations to see actual seasons and not have to only take summer trips. All that said, I pulled my kids from FISD school this year to homeschool and we started last month. We're just about to take our first break. :D

Invader

Silver Member
Why do they want our kids to start school earlier every year???? Last year they started on August 23rd, and this year on August 16th, on a Thursday . Seriously?????
It is so hot right now. It does not make any sense. Why not keepeing the kids at school the first week of June and let families and kids enjoy the month of August for vacation. What is next???? Starting the first week of August??? So upset!!
Don't the schools have Air Conditioners? Also year round with breaks in between are a great idea.
Year Round vs. Traditional Schedules in Public Schools | PublicSchoolReview.com

van

Diamond Member
I’m okay with them starting early. Heck, my kid is in band camp 10-12 hrs a day already, so the heat really isn’t a concern. The earlier they start, they earlier they end. Getting to go on vacation by June 1st saves a lot on travel expenses

Bull_07

Platinum Member
There are things that make me so upset. Moving the day around doesn't even approach it. I guess lately, I've gained a new appreciation on what really bothers me and what I'm thankful for so the school day starting sits in my I don't care bucket. Well, as long as the kids and wife are happy, then it can sit in the I don't care bucket. :)

So you think the summer break has something to do with keeping kids out of the heat?

nicolebarron

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind the early start date because it's so hot - the kids might as well be in an air-conditioned school in August. Having said that, I wish the extra curricular activities could wait until after Labor Day. My girls' dance studio starts "fall"classes this week... TOO early. I say we all get used to the school schedule, bedtimes and routines first and THEN start the extra stuff. Why do we have to run ourselves ragged right out of the gate??