RX costs OMG

Tooleman

Diamond Member
So my Wife went to the Doc, and got a prescription for some antibiotics.. We went down to pick them up and the cost was almost 100 bucks!!

So we are like huh what?? 100 bucks for antibiotics, this is a sinus infection not cancer..

Lady pulled us aside and said to go to www.goodrx.com and show us a coupon.. So we went to the site, pull up the prescription and handed it over.. Got rang up for 10 bucks..

This is just unbelievable..

kenny6

Gold Member
Yep, same thing happened to my wife. If she used insurance it was gonna be something like $200. Without insurance and using some coupon it was $10.

It's ridiculous.

Opus

Silver Member
Not sure what you Doc prescribed. My wife has 3 or 4 sinus infections a year and her antibiotics are always under $10 at CVS or Walgreens. Only antibiotic for us that is outrageous is my daughters ear drops. Almost $200 for 1oz bottle and there is no generic.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
My wife can't take normal antibiotics or she will breakout in hives.. so they have other stuff you can get.. but 100 bucks damn.. I thought my round of hydrocodone for 30 bucks was a rip off..

Look. Are some prescriptions crazy expensive? Yes. There a plenty of prescriptions that are generic, the RX offers for $4 or the plan doesn't even make you pay. Have you met your RX deductible for the year yet? Maybe that's it. Is there an alternative product that is generic that you could use? Is your wife a 1% that needs a very specialized drug that does cost much more?

There are many possible answers to this issue that could be explored before just blowing up on a internet forum like FOL. But that wouldn't be fun.

kenny6

Gold Member
My wife's wasn't an antibiotic. I don't know what it was but it's nothing rare, this wasn't the first time this has happened either. Her doc is the one who told her to use the goodrx app to find it cheap.

What's messed up about it is that they will charge you $200 if you have insurance and have not met deductible but they will sell it to the next person without insurance for next to nothing.

Somebody has to pay for those fine looking 20 year olds stopping by to see Dr So and So to show him her latest wares. (Drug reps)

Snorting antibiotics should not be more expensive than snorting cocaine. Frankly, I'm not so sure cocaine would not clear a sinus infection.

mridgley

Triple Platinum
Somebody has to pay for those fine looking 20 year olds stopping by to see Dr So and So to show him her latest wares. (Drug reps)

Snorting antibiotics should not be more expensive than snorting cocaine. Frankly, I'm not so sure cocaine would not clear a sinus infection.
But if you're snorting lines off of the drug reps..... expletive.....

Last edited:

pearceg

Diamond Member
So my Wife went to the Doc, and got a prescription for some antibiotics.. We went down to pick them up and the cost was almost 100 bucks!!
You must be in the 1%. Chairman Obama promised that middle class families would pay $2500 a year less under his benevolent care.

Opus

Silver Member

So true. Friend of mine makes 6 figures (plus suv and gas $$$) pimping a drug that is the only drug on the market for whatever it treats. He never has a good answer on why he is needed if there is no competition to his drug.

Opus

Silver Member
You must be in the 1%. Chairman Obama promised that middle class families would pay $2500 a year less under his benevolent care.
He never promised to lower the actual cost of the treatments. He just bought votes, I mean promised, health care for the ones that couldn't afford it. If you could already afford to pay for it then you were not on his radar.

mikel

Platinum Member
He never promised to lower the actual cost of the treatments. He just bought votes, I mean promised, health care for the ones that couldn't afford it. If you could already afford to pay for it then you were not on his radar.
40% to 50% of families that got Obamacare aid may have to repay some of it because they underestimated income
Oh nos! Even those people are getting it up the rear from Obama...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obamacare-taxes-20150110-story.html

Public awareness of the penalties is very low. A survey published last month by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 72% of people didn't know what the fines are in the health law.

Those penalties are increasing for future tax years. For 2015, they rise to $325 per adult or 2% of income, whichever is higher.

quester

Double Platinum
Wow. Luckily I didn't need to fill my Embril prescription for $2500.
Just had to drop gluten :)

I'm in the same boat. Doc was about to put me on Enbrel 5 years ago. She said that nothing else would work. I went gluten free and have been in remission since.

Not sure what the insurance cost of Enbrel is, but the list price is around 3k per month, so I've saved my insurance company a ton of money. Unfortunately, there isn't much incentive for people to try alternative remedies, so many end up taking pills that cause other side affects and then they have to take pills for that...