Runners - Running App

TPW

Diamond Member
I know this belongs in another forum but it gets no traffic so posting here.

I've been using Nike+ as a running app for over a year but recently, whether it is a new update or my new android phone, it hasn't been saving my pace information correctly. I really use that info to see that I'm doing progressive negative splits through the course of my runs. With past issues I've always contact Nike via their FB page and received a quick response and resolution to the issue. This time they responded quickly but were not able to fix the issue.

Long story short with the new year I'm looking to switch apps and want to see what others have had success with. Looking at the following:

Runtastic
Map My Run
Run Keeper

SkiBum

Platinum Member
I still use Nike+, but on the iPhone. I haven't experienced the issue you speak of. I tried MapMyRun, but didn't like it. The Nike+ app was more accurate and it does have all my data on it, so I'm hesitant to make a switch. However, it has been a while since I tried MapMyRun, they may have made improvements.

For example, MapMyRun seemed to map you by plotting "points." For lack of better explanation, it would "capture" you at certain intervals on the route, like, every 10 seconds or something like that. To me, that's not accurate. I noticed my route looked choppy and not right on the road/route. It did look like it caught you at certain points, then just connected the dots.

Nike+ has never done that. I can look at my map and it is exactly right on my route, down to the slightest detail.

If I had to pick one of the ones you listed, I'd probably try Run Keeper first. It seems to be well-used by a lot of my running friends.

I use Garmin Connect and my DH uses Run Keeper. My Garmin 620 pairs with GC, which is why I use that app. DH likes music while he runs so he uses Run Keeper. He really likes its ease of use. I think most are free. Try a couple and see what works best for you.

brianw76

Silver Member
I use Garmin Connect and my DH uses Run Keeper. My Garmin 620 pairs with GC, which is why I use that app. DH likes music while he runs so he uses Run Keeper. He really likes its ease of use. I think most are free. Try a couple and see what works best for you.
I just use my Garmin 620, it keeps track of everything I need it to while running and gives me plenty to data mine afterwards. I do hate that they don't have it working with the Android app yet, but supposedly it will be here soon. My phone isn't readily accessible while running so no need to stare anything other than my Garmin if needed.

If all you are looking to see are split times and pace count I guess you could get away with using an app, but there are other things more important like HR that you would need a Garmin type device to accurately see that with a HR monitor.

TPW

Diamond Member
Going to try runkeeper. Found a way to export (unofficial) all of my run data from Nike+ and transfer it. Would like to have a HR monitor that works with runkeeper if anyone knows of one.

bizguy

Diamond Member
I just use my Garmin 620, it keeps track of everything I need it to while running and gives me plenty to data mine afterwards. I do hate that they don't have it working with the Android app yet, but supposedly it will be here soon. My phone isn't readily accessible while running so no need to stare anything other than my Garmin if needed.

If all you are looking to see are split times and pace count I guess you could get away with using an app, but there are other things more important like HR that you would need a Garmin type device to accurately see that with a HR monitor.
this - use my Garmin 305 with HR. it integrates with almost all online fitness websites via Garminconnect browser plug in - its right on my wrist. It has optional footpod. I also use it on the bike with a cadence sensor that tells me at how many rpm the ol' legs are moving...

TPW

Diamond Member
I like running but I am not dropping $400 on a GPS Watch to monitor my heart rate. To me that seems crazy. I found a blue tooth HR monitor that works with runkeeper that runs $65. Uses a chest strap but that seems more reasonable for me.

On a side note Friday is my normal 3rd day of the week to run but outside temps at 6am look brutal tomorrow. Brrrrrrrrr.........

brianw76

Silver Member
I like running but I am not dropping $400 on a GPS Watch to monitor my heart rate. To me that seems crazy. I found a blue tooth HR monitor that works with runkeeper that runs $65. Uses a chest strap but that seems more reasonable for me.

On a side note Friday is my normal 3rd day of the week to run but outside temps at 6am look brutal tomorrow. Brrrrrrrrr.........
You don't have to drop that kind of scratch for a GPS Watch. For $200 or less you can get a watch that is 1-2 generations back with a HR monitor and it'll still be much better than any phone app.

I'll sale you my old Garmin 405 with an included heart rate monitor for $150, only reason I don't use it any more is because I got an upgrade at Xmas.

TPW

Diamond Member
You don't have to drop that kind of scratch for a GPS Watch. For $200 or less you can get a watch that is 1-2 generations back with a HR monitor and it'll still be much better than any phone app.

I'll sale you my old Garmin 405 with an included heart rate monitor for $150, only reason I don't use it any more is because I got an upgrade at Xmas.
I appreciate the offer but I think I'll try the other option first.