Roofing company suggestions needed

Opus

Silver Member
Not sure why, but Allstate has always just made the insurance check out to me for home insurance items. The vehicles they always put the bank which has been a pain in the past. Last time was a big debacle. My wife decided she wanted to get rid of the Honda Pilot because it was too small and go back to a Sequoia after it got hail damaged. We traded it in and then when we went to deposit the check the bank wouldn't take it because we no longer had the Pilot and they were no longer the lien holder. Called allstate and they couldn't understand why the bank wouldn't cash the check since they showed they had been the lien holder and it had been paid off. Took a lot of calls and faxing to get the money.

Opus

Silver Member
I am in the middle of doing a roof with SL Nabors. What I like is they went back to the insurance company and filed for suppliments BEFORE doing the work. I got a check for $8000 MORE before the work started. Once the supppliments were done I could then choose which work I really wanted done.

Do I really need to get the fence restained now? Those dings on the AC really are not hurting the AC?? Do I need to get all the gutters replaced??

By paring down the actual work I can just about eliminate my out of pocket deductible.
Well, I gave them a shot and not sure it is working out. The guy came out and looked over everything and told me my out of pocket. Said they could have it done withing 3 weeks. 3 weeks go by and nothing, not a word from them. Texted him and he said they had to order the siding. I hope he isn't blowing me off like the last company. Also I would have thought I would get better communication from them. I'm beginning to think all the contractors around here must be so busy they don't have to worry about customer service anymore.

nayar69

Bronze Member
We ended up going with Town and Country...our roof is beautiful, they scraped, painted chimney & replaced hardy backer, all new gutters, replaced some damaged solar screens as well as misc. exterior other stuff. They worked with the adjuster and my insurance company, filled out all necessary paper work for my mortgage company. I threw them curve balls and added stuff last minute...and they didn't miss a beat even when I placed several stipulations. We are very happy with them not to mention we went with the impact resistant shingles and now we will get a 25% reduction in our homeowners insurance (and the upgrade wasn't that much more money). If you'd like to pm me, I can tell you who I dealt with directly.

Opus

Silver Member
We ended up going with Town and Country...our roof is beautiful, they scraped, painted chimney & replaced hardy backer, all new gutters, replaced some damaged solar screens as well as misc. exterior other stuff. They worked with the adjuster and my insurance company, filled out all necessary paper work for my mortgage company. I threw them curve balls and added stuff last minute...and they didn't miss a beat even when I placed several stipulations. We are very happy with them not to mention we went with the impact resistant shingles and now we will get a 25% reduction in our homeowners insurance (and the upgrade wasn't that much more money). If you'd like to pm me, I can tell you who I dealt with directly.
That is who I used for my last roof and who I contacted first for this job. They said they couldn't do it.

How much is "not much more" for impact resistant shingles. When I inquired it was several thousand more. He also said the impact resistant wouldn't have made it thru the last hail storm.

Last edited:

nayar69

Bronze Member
That is who I used for my last roof and who I contacted first for this job. They said they couldn't do it.

How much is "not much more" for impact resistant shingles. When I inquired it was several thousand more. He also said the impact resistant wouldn't have made it thru the last hail storm.
They told you directly that they couldn't replace your roof and do exterior items??? Never known a company to turn down work, especially during slow season. I seriously would like to know who you spoke with for sure because that is not at all how we were treated.

Even if the impact resistant shingles would not have held up in the last hail storm, your insurance would have covered "same with same" so they would have been replaced. I will tell you that the 25% discount on our home insurance will cover the cost of the upgrades shingle in the first year and we will continue to get that discount every year we have those shingles...we have State Farm insurance.

Opus

Silver Member
I don't remember the guys name but he was the same one we worked with for our prior roof that they did. He said he discussed it with the owner and that they would only do the roof.

nayar69

Bronze Member
Sorry you had that experience. As I said before, that was not our experience at all with them so...could it be an issue with what insurance will cover vs. the amount out of your pocket in order to get everything done? Did they just flat out deny working for you?

Opus

Silver Member
Sorry you had that experience. As I said before, that was not our experience at all with them so...could it be an issue with what insurance will cover vs. the amount out of your pocket in order to get everything done? Did they just flat out deny working for you?
No, they said they would do the roof, just nothing else.

Opus

Silver Member
Looks like SL Nabors may be blowing me off too. I've texted the guy that came to the house several times and he hasn't replied. Called the main office Friday and the lady said she would get back right back to me. No one ever called back.

nayar69

Bronze Member
Looks like SL Nabors may be blowing me off too. I've texted the guy that came to the house several times and he hasn't replied. Called the main office Friday and the lady said she would get back right back to me. No one ever called back.
It's a shame you are having such a difficult time finding a company to address all of your issues. It seems that you may have to consider contracting with more than one company to address all you need. While it may be a pain it may be better since it seems that not one company does everything you need. From what I saw when I researched before we got our home repaired the siding and staining part of it seems to be the issue. Wishing you the best of luck.

Opus

Silver Member
It's a shame you are having such a difficult time finding a company to address all of your issues. It seems that you may have to consider contracting with more than one company to address all you need. While it may be a pain it may be better since it seems that not one company does everything you need. From what I saw when I researched before we got our home repaired the siding and staining part of it seems to be the issue. Wishing you the best of luck.
That may be what I have to end up doing. That is what Allstate says I should do. They say 5 different contractors isn't enough to warrant a general contractor and that I should do it all myself for free.

nayar69

Bronze Member
Unreal. I'm glad we got rid of Allstate several years ago...and that was even a nightmare because apparently they could not understand "we want to cancel our insurance with you". I wish you the best of luck, it's frustrating for sure not to mention time consuming.

Opus

Silver Member
Well, the new place just contacted me. Allstate is giving me enough to just pay for the roof. I will have to pay for the siding if I want it done. He said I can get a public adjuster involved and he thinks they probably could get more money but the adjuster gets a 10% fee and it takes several months. We are trying to refinance and I'm worried rates will go up in the next few months that would negate anything extra we get out of Allstate.