Roof claim, is this usual or does USAA rock?

I filed a claim for my roof. Adjuster came out and verified hail damage and called it re-roof.

I saw on line that there was a deduction for the age of the roof. I was disappointed but understood. I get a call today to tell me that 1st check has been mailed to me and made out to me since USAA is also my mortgage. I understand that the check is typically made out to mortgage company and owner. The best part of the message was that once I get the roof done they will issue the check for the depreciation. Whoo Hoo, I didn't think I was getting that too. Message stated this is to ensure the work is done.

So is it typical that the depreciation is paid out in the end or for it to be taken in consideration at all?

The depreciation had nothing to do with my deductible that too is still being removed from the the total cost.

With that said. I have gotten one of 3 estimates and the first is about $300 over what the insurance will pay out total. This is with me going with the 30 year shingles too.

I did this whole process 3 years ago with a different house but same insurance. Back then they sent the check made out to DH (I was not on the mortgage of that house) for the full amount and no talk of depreciation. I know there has been quite a bit of changes with the insurance companies since then so when they spoke of deprecation this time I was not too surprised but quite happy they will pay that out too once all the work has been done.

planomateo

Platinum Member
from what I can tell, it's typical. we have travelers and are going thru this now as we are getting our roof replaced due to hail damage.

they take our 30 year roof, subtract the age and then give us portion up front, then after repair, they give us the depreciation value in a separate check to cover the replacement cost.

Yes this is normal and it occurs on other claims. Same thing happened with our roof and same thing happened with all the repairs we had to do because of our flood. Once you prove the work has been done the depreciation amount is given back. I assume this is done so that if you decide not to do the repairs you do not get those depreciation $$

not a usaa thing, its an industry thing. 100% of the insurance companies do it that way and have for a quite a while. so, like the DQ commercial, that cheese on your burger is not just especially for you. usaa is following SOP.

p.s. the only way they will send back "all" of the depreciation is if you prove receipts for the total depreciation amount. your roofer should take care of all of that for you.

Thanks Everyone for the replies. This was different from the procedure from 3 years ago. Over all I am still very happy and the whole process is very painless.

not a usaa thing, its an industry thing. 100% of the insurance companies do it that way and have for a quite a while. so, like the DQ commercial, that cheese on your burger is not just especially for you. usaa is following SOP.

p.s. the only way they will send back "all" of the depreciation is if you prove receipts for the total depreciation amount. your roofer should take care of all of that for you.
How do you "prove receipts for the total depreciation amount?

planomateo

Platinum Member
send in paperwork.

essentially, they tell you the roof is 20k, your roofer might say more - if more, you need to go back to insurance adjuster and have them increase coverage to match roofer, then they subtract the depreciation from the check.

once you get work completed, you can get depreciation value up to whatever you agreed to. if you don't get insurance amount adjusted up front, you could be outta money.

raven70

Double Platinum
We had reroof done through State Farm about 7 years ago. Great process and similar to above. For ours, they cut check for "x" $'s and then we sent in receipts for remainder. We made out. Had ZERO estimates. Adjuster came out and told how much it would cost, and then we went out and found someone, then got check. Then turned in receipts. In the end, we didn't pay a dime out of pocket however that worked out.