RIP Robin Williams

NottaName

Diamond Member
I've always felt that Robin Williams was a tormented soul.

Many hide behind humor to deal with their inner demons.

One of my favorite movies of his was "What Dreams May Come". If you've not watched it I suggest you do.

Last edited:

mcBerg

Platinum Member
Coach recently downloaded his latest moronic input from Fox news hypocrite who is in the closet..no surprise there.

Robin Williams was a National treasure that went out of his way to make us laugh, smile and selflessly entertain us and our military for decades. The only cowards are idiots that can't think for themselves. RW had his faults, like everyone human but probably got his highs in life trying to make the world a better place despite his demons.

I'll be blunt, Coach is a complete an utter DB.

Coach recently downloaded his latest moronic input from Fox news hypocrite who is in the closet..no surprise there.

Robin Williams was a National treasure that went out of his way to make us laugh, smile and selflessly entertain us and our military for decades. The only cowards are idiots that can't think for themselves. RW had his faults, like everyone human but probably got his highs in life trying to make the world a better place despite his demons.

I'll be blunt, Coach is a complete an utter DB.

Ouch!

Coming from someone as upstanding as yourself.....that really hurts......

(in case you missed it......that was sarcasm.....numbnuts)

eyeamdaman1

Platinum Member
Simply, the one's trying to defend Coaches comments are being hypocrites. I can only imagine had someone else hijacked the thread with such nonsense how the comments would've been.

I'm sure Coach is a good guy but in this case he went so far into deep waters to where even he couldn't swim back to shore.

There have been a few fairly bleak times in my life when I've been close enough to the edge of the pit to know it's there. Times when it was hard for me to get out of bed because I just didn't really care; nothing was really enjoyable to me; I wasn't engaged with life and was just going through the motions.

Each time I've fought my way back out of the clinging shadows. Maybe that's made me a better person. Certainly in a way it's made me tougher, stronger.

To someone who's depressed, their brain is their worst enemy. Their focus is turned inward, and their thoughts and feelings are consuming and overwhelmingly negative: hopelessness, worthlessness, helplessness, overwhelming sadness. Depression is a betrayal of the mind.

Robin Williams fought his addiction and depression for decades. Eventually, at age 63, he reached his breaking point and committed suicide.

Coach (and others who think the same way)...each of us has a breaking point. I'd venture to guess that most of us never come close to it, maybe don't know it exists, maybe don't even believe in it. Others, like me, get close enough to know it's there, out of sight and intangible but sensed. And a few people, like Robin Williams, reach that breaking point.

If courage is "the ability and willingness to confront danger or fear or pain", and cowardice is the lack of courage, then yes, in his last days Robin Williams was a coward. He lost his ability or will to continue to face his pain. And if you want to focus on those last days when he lost courage, go ahead. You have the right to your opinion.

But I'm going to focus on the decades of his life when he fought, when battled back his demons to live another day. He has my respect for that, and I cannot judge him for his cowardice in his final days.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
I have lost a couple dear friends to suicide and one of them was similar to Robin Williams’s death.

One was a long time ago and one was more recent. While I love and miss both of them so much, even to this day I still have a lot of anger towards them that I just can’t seem to let go.

I know they are both in a better place and must have been really hurting, but damn them for leaving us to pick up the pieces. I had talked to both the day before and while I knew they had issues in the past, the actual day was a surprise. Both seemed happy and it seemed like things were getting better.

I do have similar feeling as Coach said and at times I have uttered the “You selfish A holes for taking the easy way out, why didn’t you just pick up the phone and call”.

I don’t understand it. I never will. There is no way for me to be them and truly understand why. On one hand I love them dearly and cherish the friendship I had, the other hand I’m cussing them out for leaving their friends and family in ruins. I have a hard time letting go of those negative feelings.

Everyone is different, some are able to let go of the negativity and anger, some hold on to it for dear life. I hopefully find myself somewhere at least in the middle.

I don’t know Coach’s experience and won’t even fathom to guess. It sounds painful, and wish him the best. I won’t go as far as to say I respect my friends any less or even Robin Williams, but I will at times call them out on the You selfish cowardly A Hole for taking the easy way out and not continue to fight, but that’s mostly out of the anger of them leaving so suddenly with so much to give to the world and not with the understanding that they must have been living in hell with no idea on how to reach out, even though they were surrounded by loved ones who would have done anything to help.

To anyone who thinks taking your own life will make the lives of your family and friends better, YOU'RE WRONG!
Find the courage to talk to them. You are loved and cherished.

Last edited:
I have lost a couple dear friends to suicide and one of them was similar to Robin Williams’s death.

One was a long time ago and one was more recent. While I love and miss both of them so much, even to this day I still have a lot of anger towards them that I just can’t seem to let go.

I know they are both in a better place and must have been really hurting, but damn them for leaving us to pick up the pieces. I had talked to both the day before and while I knew that had issues in the past, the actual day was a surprise. Both seemed happy and it seemed like things were getting better.

I do have similar feeling as Coach said and at times I have uttered the “You selfish A holes for taking the easy way out, why didn’t you just pick up the phone and call”.

I don’t understand it. I never will. There is no way for me to be them and truly understand why. On one hand I love them dearly and cherish the friendship I had, the other hand I’m cussing them out for leaving their friends and family in ruins. I have a hard time letting go of those negative feelings.

Everyone is different, some are able to let go of the negativity and anger, some hold on to it for dear life. I hopefully find myself somewhere at least in the middle.

I don’t know Coach’s experience and won’t even fathom to guess. It sounds painful, and wish him the best. I won’t go as far as to say I respect my friends any less or even Robin Williams, but I will at times call them out on the You selfish cowardly A Hole for taking the easy way out and not continue to fight, but that’s mostly out of the anger of them leaving so suddenly with so much to give to the world and not with the understanding that they must have been living in hell with no idea on how to reach out, even though they were surrounded by loved ones who would have done anything to help.

To anyone who thinks taking your own life will make the lives of your family and friends better, YOU'RE WRONG!
Find the courage to talk to them. You are loved and cherished.

If only I was able to articulate my feelings in this manner I probably wouldn't have offended as many people as I have.

To those that I have offended I extend my apologies.

Having extended my apologies to those whom I have offended I stand by my original sentiment.

van

Diamond Member
I just read this statement from Robins daughter, Zelda. Had another quick cry. Continued prayers for his family...

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that's gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will forever be grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While Ill never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, theres minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn't help the pain, but at least its a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after youve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too

Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls Ive ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. Well just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."

Dennis Miller worded it so well yesterday, that "the court has lost it's finest Jester". So true. So many people called in. One person described normal people to run at a 45. Robin was a 78. And when comedians functioned at that speed, it was impossible to hide their true selves from their work. They say he was as open, giving, kind and generous as what you would expect. He'd be the first person to give a homeless person his shoes, to fly across the country for a young girls dying wish to meet Mrs Doubtfire.

Class act.

I've always heard people react to things like this in the way Coach has here with the coward remark. I understand he has his opinion and has been as delicate as possible but stands behind it. He has made an attempt to apologize to those offended.

I seriously do not agree with that label. I understand the hurt that a lot of us have now... I have it too...pretty much more than with any other celebrity passing that I can remember.

I want to thow out one of the commentaries I heard on this...some people may react negatively because of the controversial personality that he has been over the past years. But Glenn Beck has had some of the best insight that I have heard on this. His opening monologue yesterday really laid it out well. Glenn does have a lot of insight on this as his mother and brother-in-law took their own lives and Glenn has been to the brink and was saved by a friend of his from succumbing to this as a result of his ahchoholism. He's luckily recovered with help from a friend and has turned his life around.

His explanation, he was too much of a coward to go through with it even as hard and as bad as he wanted to go though with it... He was happy now that he was a coward. He described the mindset that one has when contemplating taking their life... He didn't say that those who do are any derogatory description either except that they are mentally troubled. He explained it as a moment or state of insanity where in the person's mind, it is the only way to end their pain or they've reached a level of exhaustion or inability to allow their mind to see past the pain they are consumed by...that they cannot help themselves from...they need someone...someone to help them understand that if they can just hang on things will change. Glenn described different states of this phycosis and how he learned to deal with it...

I didn't search for a link to his monologue but I imagine its on his website if anyone is interested.

Van I posted a link to what you just shared today on Facebook. I really loved that and she is so right. No matter what others say about him negative or whatever, he would find a way to make even them laugh. He gave us every last drop of what he had to offer and never asked for anything but a laugh from us. To give his memory grief in return for what he offered and provided is just not right.

Like I said coach I don't agree with how you have characterized him, I appriciate you trying to be civil about presenting you opinion, but apparently you gave him enough respect, be it even negative respect, to thow something back at him that he didn't deserve...if you had no respect you wouldn't have taken the time. Those here who don't feel the same way would have been just fine with you not letting us know how you feel. I belive that is why you received the backlash of those here who are hurting, because we know despite his misgivings and the tragic end of his life, Robin Williams was one of the very greatest humans we have ever been blessed to know...A very rare person.

Last edited:

NottaName

Diamond Member
Robin Williams' wife says the late actor had Parkinson's disease

“Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly,” she said, according to Fox News. “It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

I watched both of my parents die from complications of Parkinson's... It is a horrible way to go... I'm not sure I would ant to go through all of that either...

planomateo

Platinum Member
Only question I have, did he tell his wife / family before he killed himself (assuming that's what really happened)?

If not, it's my opinion he quit on life and his family. Life throws everyone curve balls, how you deal with those is what defines you.

And yes, I realize I don't have all the facts, doubt I ever will and I haven't walked in his shoes. Just my opinion based on everything I've heard to date and my opinion is subject to change based on additional information.

Last edited:

LLB

Silver Member
I hate that he killed himself or anyone that has done this to themselves and their families. I think the people left behind feel anger and hurt so they look at it as selfish. I don't know how I feel as I can see why they would think that and I also see it as not selfish.

But really why is this a debate? A good comedian killed himself, I believe he was a good man but I didn't know him on a personal level. He is gone and will be missed. This thread (like most on FOL) seems to want to debate the whys and what fore's. It is what it is, sadly.

Marion

Bronze Member
WOW. We are discussing the painful loss of an incredibly gifted person due to a horrific mental illlness - depression. My hope is that we can delight respectfully in the amazing work of Robin Williams and come to a better understanding of depression. Imagine the choice of burning in a fire or escaping by jumping from a window 40 stories from the ground. Please do not judge the extent of someone else's ability to survive their torture.

To anyone interested, you can sign or visit his guest book at http://legacy.com. Lots of beautiful, moving tributes on there from thousands of people he touched with his warmth and humor who are collectively feeling the loss of this kind and gentle soul.

Last edited:

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
My wife and I had just completed a 5 day trip by car from Phoenix Arizona to Virginia Beach, Virginia, when I read the news on my iPad at the hotel. I will always remember where I was at when I read the news.

We often read about celebrities we liked who passed away and say "aw thats too bad, he/she was so good at..." But this one was different for me, I had to sit down. I felt like I just lost an old friend. My wife didn't know but just before the trip I had watched some old Robin Williams videos from the Johnny Carson days with Robin and his mentor Jonathan Winters. Winters could have been Williams father they were so much alike. Now he is gone.

Robin's super brain and rapid fire jokes would make me laugh so hard I could not breathe. His intelligence seemed above others so I had to ask why commit suicide, because as others have said its a cowardly act?

I have to imagine that the one time pain of suicide for his family seemed easier than the long lasting pain of his depression, anxiety and slowly dying of Parkinson's and torturing his family for years to come.

We cannot rely on the News media to tell us what Robin's real reasons were, so I will go with my gut.
For someone who spent so much time giving to so many others that he must have thought he was doing his family a favor as death was inevitable why not make it quick. Why else would a genius take his life?

RIP old friend... I'll see you again.

planomateo

Platinum Member
He's done some really great things, but in the end he's no different to than the kid here in Frisco that just took his mother and fathers life. Robin Williams killed his children's father and he killed his wife's husband.

Its sad actually, I hope his family and friends find a way to cope with their loss.