RIP Robin Williams

We are celebrating his life, which was full of doing things that made us laugh, smile, and think. He was constantly volunteering to help with charity after charity, including working with the USO.
Which is why I stated that I loved him and his work in his life.

How dare you think you know what he was going through.
You are correct......I have absolutely no idea what he was going through.

That is a selfish response right there, and one worthy of people losing respect for you.
I disagree with you that my comments are selfish on my part but I certainly can see your point.
Which is precisely why I hesitated to say anything and then prefaced my comments the way that I did.

It would be most unfortunate if anyone lost respect for me because I shared my views on this situation with everyone, but if that does happen I'll deal with the fallout accordingly.

He had his demons, he fought them for decades and finally succumbed.
To think you can understand how he felt is ridiculous.
I don't recall ever indicating that I understood how he felt or the totality of his demons.

It is easy to sit back and say this guy had it made,

Again.....those are your words and not mine.

He has been fighting clinical depression for years, if this was an exact science with an easy solution do you not think it would be solved?
I know first hand from dealing with family members that this isn't an exact science.
It's also my personal dealings with suicide and its many causations that has formed my opinion that anyone who takes their own life is a coward of the highest order and unworthy of my respect and adoration.

If that causes folks to lose respect for me than so be it.

Rebel

Diamond Member
Thought this seemed appropriate. The more I read Mike Rowe's stuff, the more I like him. Most is about hard work and work ethic, with the occasional roast of a whiner, this belongs here though.

Off The Wall
Shannon Howard-Trevizo
"I'm struggling. Please say something about Robin Williams. I know you could put into words what people want to hear.. local boy to local us."
Hi Shannon
I wish I could tell you we were pals. That we hung out from time to time, or played poker every other Thursday. Unfortunately, I didn’t know the man. Like most people in The Bay Area, my contact with Robin was limited to a few random and minor encounters. However, those encounters made an impression.
The first was in 2006 - June or maybe July. I walked into The Roastery down on Chestnut, ordered a coffee, and sat down to read the paper. I soon discovered I was in one of those chairs with one leg shorter than the rest, and resolved to remedy the problem by jamming a folded-up coaster under the offending limb. I bent down, got the thing positioned properly, and managed to smack my head on the edge of the table on the way back up. Hard. The impact was noisy, and sent coffee slushing all over The Chronicle, which in turn lead to an “Ahh...:censored::censored::censored::censored:!,” a little louder than I intended. A second later, a voice said, “No, I believe that’s coffee. ****’s the stuff I see you crawling through every time I turn on the TV.”
I didn’t recognize the voice, but when I looked up, there was no mistaking the face. It belonged to Garp, Mork, Mrs. Doubtfire, and so many others. He was just standing there, smiling, waiting for me to say something pithy. I imagined him thinking, “Your move, chief.” But I had nothing. All I could think was “Holy crap - Robin Williams knows who I am!” Eventually, it got awkward, so he said, “Love the show, man,” and walked out.
There was another time a few years later at something called The “X” Prize. This was a very swanky affair at The Lucas Digital Arts Studio in May of 2010. How I got invited is a bit of a mystery, but I was, and I went. I saw Robin on the Red Carpet, chatting with some reporters. I caught his eye and nodded. He nodded back and told me I cleaned up pretty good. I told him he looked very pretty. He chuckled and moved on.
That's it, I'm afraid.
It’s a curious thing isn't it, to miss someone you didn't really know? Maybe it has something to do with their entrance? In show biz, and life, a big entrance can leave a big impression, and Robin made a very big one. He crashed into our lives 36 years ago, and took up a kind of residence. Now that he's left, maybe we miss more than the person? Maybe we miss the version of ourselves that was on hand during that first meeting. Does that make sense?
When I first saw Mork and Mindy, I was sixteen years old, and badly smitten with a girl named Heather. We watched the first episode together in her parents basement, and laughed like lunatics. Then we made out. When I heard about Robin yesterday, my first feeling was shock. Then, a kind of sadness, too shallow to call grief, but to too real to ignore. It wasn't till later that I found myself wondering about Heather for the first time in years, and recalling my sixteen-year old self with a weird mix of nostalgia and melancholy.
Some people enter our lives and become benchmarks in ways we don't realize. Then they exit, and we struggle. Sometimes, those people are high-school buddies, and sometimes, they're strangers who somehow felt like friends. Either way, it sucks when they go.
Mike

van

Diamond Member
I'm sure my comments on this event won't resonate with everyone and might even piss many of you off but here goes just the same.

Robin Williams committed suicide.

Which is in my opinion the most cowardly act anyone can take.
It takes courage to fight through personal issues.
Cowards and quitters take the easy way out by committing suicide.

I loved him and his work in his life but have no empathy for him in his self inflicted death.
I have lost ALL respect for him as a man.

He killed himself.......why are we celebrating him?

I read this a little while ago, and had to step away from a job, because it caused the tears to flow. I've felt so incredibly sad today because of this loss. Have listened to the radio all day hearing stories from people who's lives he touched. Until your post, I had not read or heard something like this.

People are celebrating his LIFE. The empathy he had for people around him. People suffering. He gave them an escape, if only for a few hours, to laugh and think of something other than their problems, their situations. To raise money to improve others lives. He did this tirelessly, for decades.

Unless you have suffered from depression, or have had to deal with addictions, you might not be able to comprehend suicide. To announce that it is "cowardly", is the most horrible, tactless thing I have ever heard. You don't know where he was at. You have no idea. But it was obviously a dark enough place that he saw no way out. My heart hurts for all people in that postion.

To say you have no respect for him, for that one final act? Does his committing suicide negate everything he has done to improve the lives of others? Not at all. I find it sad that you felt the need to vocalize that. There's a time and place for everything. Tell me, if his wife was standing in front of you, would you say all that to her face?

I have lost ALL respect for him as a man.
As I have of you

eyeamdaman1

Platinum Member
The problem with the "coward" comment is that it's not necessary at this time. No one is going to take away your thoughts and opinion but as was said, there is a time and place.

This is no different from the Westboro nut bags that mock and belittle the deaths of many for the sole purpose of hurting others.

Coach, your reasons makes no sense as you could've withheld your admittedly controversial opinion and said absolutely nothing.

Instead, you chose to make the thread about you.

Respect, Decorum, and Tact aren't your strong points.

I read this a little while ago, and had to step away from a job, because it caused the tears to flow.
My post was in no way intended to hurt you or anyone else.
If you read my follow post to brian I think you will see that.

Unless you have suffered from depression, or have had to deal with addictions, you might not be able to comprehend suicide.

You're assuming that I haven't.
Again.....if you read my follow up post to brian you'll learn that indeed I do have first hand experience.
The details of which I'm unwilling to share.

To announce that it is "cowardly", is the most horrible, tactless thing I have ever heard. You don't know where he was at. You have no idea.

You're right.....I have no idea where he was it.
And yes, as a matter of fact I do believe suicide is a selfish and cowardly act.

Tell me, if his wife was standing in front of you, would you say all that to her face?

Of course not......despite what you may think......I am a very tactful person.

As I have of you

That's unfortunate Van.
But this time I won't beg your forgiveness or even expect you to understand my position.

Last edited:

van

Diamond Member
My post was in no way intended to hurt you or anyone else.
How about the people on here reading it who have had a loved one commit suicide? How do you think they feel when someone comes on blazing about how cowardly they were?

But this time I won't beg your forgiveness or even expect you to understand my position.

I really don't give a toss if you do. Read unneedastraws comment again. There's a time and a place. You wouldn't make comments like that in front of Robin Williams wife? Why not? It's "the truth" in your eyes, you should tell her.

It's called empathy coach. He was a good man that DID fight his demons for decades. But he didn't win. Why crap on someone while they're down?

How about the people on here reading it who have had a loved one commit suicide? How do you think they feel when someone comes on blazing about how cowardly they were?

They probably feel the same way.....

Suicide is a selfish and cowardly act regardless if your a famous celebrity or lonely housewife.
Or a father who's wife left him and won't come back no matter how much he pleads with her.

They probably feel the same way.....

Suicide is a selfish and cowardly act regardless if your a famous celebrity or lonely housewife.
Or a father who's wife left him and won't come back no matter how much he pleads with her.
You say you know first hand, sorry bud but having gone thru it with a family member is not first hand experience. If you were the family me never then that's a different story.

I can tell you from real first hand experience you have no idea what you are talking about. Sure as a family member you make a selfish comment about a person who commits suicide being selfish and a coward. The last thing on that persons mind is a thought of selfishness. In fact it's the complete opposite and they are filled with thoughts of how it will make everything better for those around them. That dark hole moments before are indescribable and extremely painful. The only option you see to make things better for others that you love and yourself is suicide.

If you've never been at that moment you really can't understand. Sure from a outsider that's being selfish they will say it's cowardly. That's your own selfishness shining thru.

You know why people don't speak to others and reach out for help before commuting such a finalized act? It's because people like you cause a stigma to be attached to their pain. They fear someone will them they are being selfish or a coward heck even that they just want attention. Embrace it as a severe issue someone is battling and open your arms and heart to them. It might just saves someone's life one day.

You say you know first hand, sorry bud but having gone thru it with a family member is not first hand experience.

So you're saying that the feelings I have about suicide after a family member kills himself isn't first hand experience?

Maybe if you're the guy pulling the trigger you think you're doing everyone else a favor and maybe in some cases that would be true. But for those of us left behind to clean up the mess.......

You're a selfish coward that didn't have the balls to deal with life on its own terms.

(I'll refrain from responding any further so that the FOL may return to its usual peaceful self)

You know why people don't speak to others and reach out for help before commuting such a finalized act? It's because people like you cause a stigma to be attached to their pain. They fear someone will them they are being selfish or a coward heck even that they just want attention. Embrace it as a severe issue someone is battling and open your arms and heart to them. It might just saves someone's life one day.
Asking for help is one of the most courageous things people can do.
Giving up on yourself and those around you is selfish and cowardly.

(I'm actually going to refrain from responding again, your response posted before my previous)

Rimrock

Double Platinum
I think calling him a coward at this point is crass. You know what they say about opinions right?!?!

I don't know what Shep was thinking..of the Fox main liners he is the most touchy feely. I am not denying that loved ones of suicides go through that stage..calling them selfish and cowardly. Heck, I went through that stage myself but I was lucky as my loved one was not successful in their attempt to kill them self. Depression..it can be such a dark pit. Just being around it was unnerving. So dark and bottomless. The good news is that with help most can climb out of that pit.

Asking for help is one of the most courageous things people can do.
Giving up on yourself and those around you is selfish and cowardly.

(I'm actually going to refrain from responding again, your response posted before my previous)
I agree it is really courageous and possibly the most difficult thing that person can ever do. For most once you hit bottom you have nobody to turn to, or nobody you feel you can turn to. Add the fear of facing someone that feels the same way as you about the subject, I am coming to that conclusion by previous comments here. By the time I was to that point I didn't see anyone to turn to, everyone I felt had been pushed away or left my life due to isolating myself over years. Everything was a secret and the shame was more than I could handle. After the fact I saw there were still a couple, yes a couple of people that still cared. The funny part is a few months later those people also leave out of fear. Again you are at that point where everyone is better off and nobody cares so nobody will be hurt. Your head tells you everyone is better off and the pain will be gone. The only time you can feel lower is when you ask for help, it's extremely emotional, especially for depressed people who don't have emotions. Everyone just like with Williams says how is that possible you are always making everyone laugh and the life of the party. It's a painful place that I hope you and anyone else never has to explore. I only talk about in hopes that someone in the shoes I was in a few years ago sees it and reached out to me or someone else who won't belittle them for the way they are feeling.

Rebel

Diamond Member
Ya'll may not agree with Coach's opinion (and I honestly couldn't say if I do or don't since I've not dealt with it), but I'll say this has been one of the more respectful discussions/disagreements.

And if that in any way encourages people to talk about this issues, then so be it, because I really hope others don't choose this path.

That said, for those that haven't run across this, Post Secret was started as a project and turned into something far greater, and they help promote Suicide Prevention.

www.postsecret.com

flicks

Gold Member
Here is where I have a great problem with this thread and where it has gone.

If someone wants to start an independent thread and begin a debate on if suicide is cowardly and selfish, I encourage that debate and conversation. BUT, to be posting about this specifically on any individual's thread, without COMPLETE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of the situation and individual person, is, in my opinion, completely and utterly uncalled for.

Without complete understanding of the situation, to call out anyone of being selfish and cowardly is simply wrong.

RIP Robin Williams. Thank you for your complete line of work that has brought joy to millions, including myself. I throughly enjoyed your creatively and uniqueness you brought to the entertainment world.

Flicks - your wife is also heavily invested in this thread which I am sure led you to relay your thoughts.

Coach simply voiced his opinion as did everyone else - his just happened to be different than the majority. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - be it good or bad. Just my two cents worth, and i mean no disrespect to flicks, Van or anyone else. I just don't think there is anything wrong with stating what your true feelings are. Coach.... You still have my respect :)

Flicks - your wife is also heavily invested in this thread which I am sure led you to relay your thoughts.

Coach simply voiced his opinion as did everyone else - his just happened to be different than the majority. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - be it good or bad. Just my two cents worth, and i mean no disrespect to flicks, Van or anyone else. I just don't think there is anything wrong with stating what your true feelings are. Coach.... You still have my respect :)
True that, although I don't agree with his opinion, he gets points for being honest. It's not easy being the one to state how you feel when you know it will ruffle feathers. It also opened up a great conversation by Coach doing so.