RIP Robin Williams

aggieteach

Double Platinum
I tell my students YOLO is the dummbed down version of Carpe Diem.

My senior class motto was "Carpe Diem" we got it from that movie. I watch it at least twice a year!

I love Robin Williams! There are very few things he did that I did not just absolutely love.

Robin Williams was a national treasure. It's easy to see by the outpouring of sentiment and expressions of loss not only across the US but across the world.

I just hope he knew how very much he was loved. God rest his soul.

Rebel

Diamond Member
May have to do a RW movie marathon this weekend. So many good ones out there, and its been so long since I've seen some of them.

van

Diamond Member
Many times comedians and those who laugh to make the mood lighter are really suffering inside. I am sure he knew that he brought happiness to others, but did not feel that happiness. Guaranteed only those closest to him knew how low he was and how much he was suffering inside, because he was good at faking a smile and cracking a joke.
Yep. Comedy and making others laugh is often a disguise for the anguish and demons. You build a wall, so as not to let anyone see everything you have going on inside. You put the focus elsewhere. My heart truly breaks for this man.

All the work he did, from Comic Relief, visiting our troops, He was constantly looking at doing something for others.

Mork and Mindy was one of the first Tv series I remember overseas. Of his films, The World According to Garp, Patch Adams, and What Dreams may come stand out to me.

I can't imagine where he was at with his depression to decide to end his life. I truly hope he rests in peace

I'm sure my comments on this event won't resonate with everyone and might even piss many of you off but here goes just the same.

Robin Williams committed suicide.

Which is in my opinion the most cowardly act anyone can take.
It takes courage to fight through personal issues.
Cowards and quitters take the easy way out by committing suicide.

I loved him and his work in his life but have no empathy for him in his self inflicted death.
I have lost ALL respect for him as a man.

He killed himself.......why are we celebrating him?

brianw76

Silver Member
I'm sure my comments on this event won't resonate with everyone and might even piss many of you off but here goes just the same.

I loved him and his work in his life but have no empathy for him in his self inflicted death.

We are celebrating his life, which was full of doing things that made us laugh, smile, and think. He was constantly volunteering to help with charity after charity, including working with the USO.

How dare you think you know what he was going through. That is a selfish response right there, and one worthy of people losing respect for you.

He had his demons, he fought them for decades and finally succumbed. To think you can understand how he felt is ridiculous. It is easy to sit back and say this guy had it made, but you have no idea what was going through his mind and what made him finally act on his impulse. He has been fighting clinical depression for years, if this was an exact science with an easy solution do you not think it would be solved?

rawhide

Diamond Member

I harbored those similar thoughts until depression struck me.

Some see the glass half empty while others see it as half full.
It can be a daily struggle to not see the glass as never filling.

Some folks find the tools to deal with it and move on. Others are deeply embattled and tormented by it, and at times, succumb to it.