Review of Crab King

Opus

Silver Member
Well, we haven't had a review on here in forever so thought I would do one for Crab King in Frisco. It is at the corner of Main and Teal. I had been wanting to try the place since I noticed it a couple of months ago. Was out that way Friday night so the wife and I decided to give it a try. We decided to get calamari as an appetizer and I got the shrimp/fish platter and my wife got the shrimp platter. We both got water to drink. Bill was around $45. First problem, they brought out our platters before we got our appetizer. The calamari came out around a minute after we got our food. The calamari was just the rings so it was the cheap stuff. It was also battered different from what I call normal. It was a thick batter like you would find on onion rings. My wife tried a couple of pieces and said it was not good. I also didn't like it. On to the platters. The shrimp was on par with Gorton's frozen shrimp you would buy in the frozen food isle at the grocery store. No taste at all to them. Since they claim to be the best cajun place in Frisco you would think they would at least season them after they fry them. The fish was better and really the only thing worth eating. On a side note, the ketchup was disgusting. Not sure what extra ingredient they added to it but it was horrible. Wife didn't like it either. She is a lot more forgiving than me when eating out so when she isn't happy with a meal I know it is pretty bad. So I guess if I'm scoring them, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give them a 2. On a side note, the few people that were there seemed to be eating the steamed/boiled items so maybe those are better.

kenny6

Gold Member
I haven't been but I did see it online and thought it might be worth checking out.

They are Korean not Cajun, even though they call a few things Cajun, so I wouldn't expect it to be like good Cajun stuff. They make it different. On the boiled seafood they like pouring on that spicy sauce after it's cooked. That's not Cajun.

Chris1771

Silver Member
Thanks for the review, Opus. Agree with Kenny...I googled this and it seems to be a Korean burger place with Cajun seafood? Wut?

Seems like a weird fusion to me? :unsure:

We went there when it was K-Pop burgers only. The Facebook posts made it sound interesting. So we gave it a try.

Our experience was meh. No reason to go a second time. As Rimrock said - burgers were messy. A huge messy heap, diificult to eat with either hands or fork. So-so Korean flavor IMHO. Service was slow

I wish any small business success. But I want to be candid here. So, now with this weird fusion of two unrelated kinds of cuisine, I just don’t get it.

Look at their yelp page. Sure sounds like a lot of fake reviews. It seems like these smaller Asian themed places in Frisco are all using the same marketing firm. They regularly make Yelp’s list of top places to eat in Frisco. (An unnamed one in Frisco recently admitted to me their regular use of fake reviews.)

Opus

Silver Member
I haven't been but I did see it online and thought it might be worth checking out.

They are Korean not Cajun, even though they call a few things Cajun, so I wouldn't expect it to be like good Cajun stuff. They make it different. On the boiled seafood they like pouring on that spicy sauce after it's cooked. That's not Cajun.
I agree with the Korean part but back in Shreveport where I'm from there is a cajun place owned and ran by an asian family and it is one of the better cajun places around. Now they are from New Orleans and moved to Shreveport after Katrina so they should know cajun. Also my wife is from Lake Charles and there is a Chinese place there that used to have boiled crawfish on their buffet and they were really good.

Opus

Silver Member
We went there when it was K-Pop burgers only. The Facebook posts made it sound interesting. So we gave it a try.

Our experience was meh. No reason to go a second time. As Rimrock said - burgers were messy. A huge messy heap, diificult to eat with either hands or fork. So-so Korean flavor IMHO. Service was slow

I wish any small business success. But I want to be candid here. So, now with this weird fusion of two unrelated kinds of cuisine, I just don’t get it.

Look at their yelp page. Sure sounds like a lot of fake reviews. It seems like these smaller Asian themed places in Frisco are all using the same marketing firm. They regularly make Yelp’s list of top places to eat in Frisco. (An unnamed one in Frisco recently admitted to me their regular use of fake reviews.)
The combination of 2 cuisines is strange but from what I could tell they have those 2 places separate at other locations. I believe this is the only one where they have both.

I was wondering about the reviews. I saw they had around a 4.7 on Yelp which I found really strange based on my experience.

Opus

Silver Member

Kenny6, do you have any recommendations for good cajun places in the Frisco area? I used to like Waters Edge in Little Elm but I didn't think it was near as good once the original owners sold it and moved back to south Louisiana.

cyning

Agree 100%.

We tried the burgers, very messy, but not very good. No desire to go back.

On an unrelated culinary note, you might think the last thing Frisco needs is another chicken fast food place, but I see that Layne’s is coming to town. If it’s as good as the original, Cane’s and the other guys are in serious trouble.

Last edited:

Opus

Silver Member
Agree 100%.

We tried the burgers, very messy, but not very good. No desire to go back.

On an unrelated culinary note, you might think the last thing Frisco needs is another chicken fast food place, but I see that Layne’s is coming to town. If it’s as good as the original, Cane’s and the other guys are in serious trouble.
On your side note, I don't see how Slim Chickens stays open. I go by there around 6:30-7pm every weeknight and there is never anyone there. The wife and I tried it and she said she never wanted to go back and none of my friends who tried it liked it.

cyning

On your side note, I don't see how Slim Chickens stays open. I go by there around 6:30-7pm every weeknight and there is never anyone there. The wife and I tried it and she said she never wanted to go back and none of my friends who tried it liked it.
Agree again. We tried Slim Chickens. Once. Have not been back.

Since we haven’t had many restaurant reviews in a long time, I’ll also mention Tacos4Life, on the west side of DNT, more or less across the highway from Slim Chickens.

Tried it, liked it, have been back 3 times. It’s not as good as Torchy’s, more of a fast food feel than Torchy’s, but still good, tasty tacos. Efficient, friendly employees. Some of their food could use a little more spice, but that’s just personal preference.

kenny6

Gold Member
Kenny6, do you have any recommendations for good cajun places in the Frisco area? I used to like Waters Edge in Little Elm but I didn't think it was near as good once the original owners sold it and moved back to south Louisiana.
Not really. If I want something good I make it myself. Cajun Tailgators food truck is pretty good. They had a restaurant in downtown Plano but I believe they moved closer to Dallas. Their crawfish pistolette is excellent and jambalaya is also excellent, its a brown jambalaya which you don't find in many restaurants even back home.

There's a guy from Louisiana who has a truck selling boiled crawfish in Prosper right off of Preston. They are pretty good. Not sure the exact location, the wife went pick it up.

Opus

Silver Member
Not really. If I want something good I make it myself. Cajun Tailgators food truck is pretty good. They had a restaurant in downtown Plano but I believe they moved closer to Dallas. Their crawfish pistolette is excellent and jambalaya is also excellent, its a brown jambalaya which you don't find in many restaurants even back home.

There's a guy from Louisiana who has a truck selling boiled crawfish in Prosper right off of Preston. They are pretty good. Not sure the exact location, the wife went pick it up.
Cajun Tailgators is now located in the farmers market down in downtown Dallas. I'm not sure they even have their truck anymore.

What was the price like for the boiled crawfish? I can't bring myself to pay $9 to $10/lb that the restaurants around here want. I miss the days of taking an ice chest to the guy on the corner and paying $3/lb for good boiled crawfish.

Agree again. We tried Slim Chickens. Once. Have not been back.

Since we haven’t had many restaurant reviews in a long time, I’ll also mention Tacos4Life, on the west side of DNT, more or less across the highway from Slim Chickens.

Tried it, liked it, have been back 3 times. It’s not as good as Torchy’s, more of a fast food feel than Torchy’s, but still good, tasty tacos. Efficient, friendly employees. Some of their food could use a little more spice, but that’s just personal preference.

Agree 100% with your posts, cyning. No compelling reason for a return trip to Slim Pickins. Though we were open minded enough to try it twice. Food meh. Service was really, really slow the 2nd trip. And I agree that Layne’s will give Raising Cane’s some serious competition.

We’re big Torchy’s fans in our family. My son’s favorite restaurant. We head to the Plano location a couple of times a month. But Tacos4Life has become our go to taco place in Frisco when we don't want to fight traffic to Plano. Not quite as good as Torchy’s (and no bar - we’re drinkers) but good enough. Better than all the other 2 dozen or more taco places in Frisco.

cyning

Agree 100% with your posts, cyning. No compelling reason for a return trip to Slim Pickins. Though we were open minded enough to try it twice. Food meh. Service was really, really slow the 2nd trip. And I agree that Layne’s will give Raising Cane’s some serious competition.

We’re big Torchy’s fans in our family. My son’s favorite restaurant. We head to the Plano location a couple of times a month. But Tacos4Life has become our go to taco place in Frisco when we don't want to fight traffic to Plano. Not quite as good as Torchy’s (and no bar - we’re drinkers) but good enough. Better than all the other 2 dozen or more taco places in Frisco.
You are clearly a man of extraordinarily good taste!

Chris1771

Silver Member

Seems like opening taco places is the new fad to go along with chicken places? So I guess we can add that to the list for any new development.

Nails, Chicken, Tacos. What did I miss? An asian place? I've noticed Poke places popping up everywhere into Plano and some in southern Frisco.

ETA - Torchys has great, strong frozen margarita. Salsa margaritas are strong too.

kenny6

Gold Member
Cajun Tailgators is now located in the farmers market down in downtown Dallas. I'm not sure they even have their truck anymore.

What was the price like for the boiled crawfish? I can't bring myself to pay $9 to $10/lb that the restaurants around here want. I miss the days of taking an ice chest to the guy on the corner and paying $3/lb for good boiled crawfish.
I don't recall. It's gonna depend on market price at the time. It's a slow start to the season due to the late cold fronts but they always use that excuse lol.

Here's his facebook page...looks like they were between $5-8/lb last year.
Cajun Made Crawfish and Seafood

I don't do boiled crawfish much cause it's too much work and too much mess and like you said it's usually overpriced. If I want crawfish I make an ettoufee.

Opus

Silver Member
I saw where the Cajun Crawfish Company had their big Fat Tuesday boil at Rock & Brews in The Colony last night. If I didn't find out about it so late I might of made plans to go.

I'm going to keep an eye on the place in Prosper. Maybe they will get down below $6 this year. I don't think I'll pay over that amount, just too expensive for the family to eat.

Rooster

Silver Member
For gumbo and bugs, Nates will the the closest thing in these parts to the real thing. He's from Louisiana. You have to drive to Addison though, it has very little parking, and the place is always packed.

Opus

Silver Member
For gumbo and bugs, Nates will the the closest thing in these parts to the real thing. He's from Louisiana. You have to drive to Addison though, it has very little parking, and the place is always packed.
I wish they would have made a go of it in The Colony. I think it was just bad timing on their part. Should not have opened with all that construction going on.