remodel - large corner tub

angelaN

Platinum Member
We are starting to plan a bathroom remodel. We have a large corner jetted tub which I certainly wanted when we bought the house but now it really dates the bathroom.

Has anyone replaced one and what with? Did you have to break the cement and move the plumbing? Any ideas? I really want a very modern free standing tub.

roberts933

Bronze Member
There is an app called houzz that has some great ideas. You would need to consult with a plumber to see what you need to change, but it's definitely doable.

pookie

Silver Member
We are planning to replace our corner tub with a free standing tub. We haven't started yet but we are expecting some major plumbing fix... We are also planning to moving the shower, so we will be tearing the walls and the floor.

IBM5081

Platinum Member
What bathing fixtures are in the other bathrooms in the house?
Are there windows creating a view from the tub (and do you want to retain that view)?

We have 3 full baths, each with a different bathing arrangement:

Guest bath: long and narrow, vanity and toilet in a single undivided space followed by a tiled shower at the far end.

Children's bath: Jack and Jill, two vanity/closets with wet areas (toilet and tub/shower) between them. Replaced shower curtain rod with standard sliding glass doors to reduce the amount of water on the floor. Standard white tub.

Master bath: shower built between two closets, 7' deep by 5' wide. Three walls are synthetic marble, entry wall is glass. Single shower head. There could be two shower heads on opposing walls.

You have probably seen the tub-only with adjacent shower in an L-shape. We have not taken a tub bath in years; everything standing or seated on a built-in seat.

We are planning on removing ours completely and building a massive shower in its place. Then we'll use the existing shower for additional closet and storage space. (I have two other full size baths with bathtubs) ask me how many times I've sat in a tub in the past 10 years....a big fat 0. Hate them and hate cleaning them

angelaN

Platinum Member
I want to keep a bathtub. I rarely shower although I can live without the jets but it has to be a soaker tub.

I guess I am wondering if anyone kept the same configuration but put in an oval or square tub with different decking using the same plumbing?

I am open to other ideas to modernize it and not have to move plumbing.

We are planning on removing ours completely and building a massive shower in its place. Then we'll use the existing shower for additional closet and storage space. (I have two other full size baths with bathtubs) ask me how many times I've sat in a tub in the past 10 years....a big fat 0. Hate them and hate cleaning them
I have 3 full baths - Master w/jetted tub and stand alone shower. Then, have 2 with standard sized tubs. No one has ever used the tubs for a bath!

I'd love to replace the master tub and adjoining shower with a oversized shower. I'll figure out what to do with remaining space. In one of the other baths, I'd love to remove the tub and make an oversize shower. Then the 3rd bathroom, I'd leave alone. For resale purposes I think there should be at least 1 tub (in case a family with little kiddo's moves in!)

GoodAg

Double Platinum
I want to keep a bathtub. I rarely shower although I can live without the jets but it has to be a soaker tub.

I guess I am wondering if anyone kept the same configuration but put in an oval or square tub with different decking using the same plumbing?

I am open to other ideas to modernize it and not have to move plumbing.
I think we pretty much did what you are talking about. The bathroom here needed updating: HUGE corner jacuzzi tub, teeny-tiny shower (that was actually leaking/had cracks in mortar etc).

We rarely used our garden tub in Frisco, but did want to keep a tub for future use/resale. So we took out the corner tub (leaving the existing wiring for the jacuzzi in case we ever change our minds) and replaced it with a Jetta soaker tub: it has insulation around it underneath, and the water stays at the desired temperature for quite some time. Best thing we did with that set up, though, was to add a pull-out "sprayer" next to the standard faucet...that in itself makes washing dogs and children SOOOOO much easier, let me tell you.

With the tub, we just had to make sure the drain opening was "close enough" to the original drain hole to make it work. I wish I remembered how the plumber did it...maybe with a few curved pipes??? but I think they DID do a little concrete smashing to get something just right. Not much though. Anyhow. I much prefer the shape/location now.

Then with the tub tucked away nicely, we were able to move the closet door over quite a bit and more than doubled the size of our shower, moving the one shower head from the north wall and replacing it with two shower heads on the west wall. That was simple pipe soldering. Easy peasy.

We also splurged and upgraded the countertops to granite, and since we had to buy the whole slab, dang it, I wanted to use every last piece we could haha. So we put the granite as a tub surround and also replaced the windowsill with granite. Updated the mirrors, lighting fixtures and faucet fixtures, and now I really really love my master bathroom.

Not great pics, but you should get the idea:

Original layout (taken with a wide-angle lens...and it really IS bathroom with lots of floorspace) -

Tub and shower tile is in -

Not all the finishing touches in this pic, but hopefully will give you an idea of what we did...wish I had a wide angle lens and better lighting as it is absolutely NOT a yellow bathroom lol.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Wow!! Great bathroom. That is exactly what I would like to do if I really can't afford the free standing tub due to the cost of moving plumbing and breaking concrete.

You certainly updated it and it is nice looking. Our bathroom is quite similar to your orginal - gold shower stall and all.

GoodAg

Double Platinum
Wow!! Great bathroom. That is exactly what I would like to do if I really can't afford the free standing tub due to the cost of moving plumbing and breaking concrete.

You certainly updated it and it is nice looking. Our bathroom is quite similar to your orginal - gold shower stall and all.
We looked at putting in a free-standing tub, but several costs caused us to forego that route:

1. The cost of the freestanding tub was outrageous compared to a "regular" tub. (or maybe I just have good taste haha)

2. Moving things around the way we had just enough of the original tile to match and cover the floor. Had we done a freestanding tub, we would have had to replace the entire flooring (which is nice 20" updated tile) in the bathroom and adjoining closets. OR we could have tried to do some sort of "artistic" tile design under just the tub, but we just couldn't seem to make it work out right.

3. In the end, my practicality won out: the free-standing tub I liked wasn't insulated, and this one was. I couldn't see myself paying more for a tub that wouldn't be as efficient lol.

Looks great !

We have that on our list to do when we move back. We have same ugly gold stall and nasty white counter. Call it cultured marlbe all you want it is still an ugly plastic counter.

Our tub is almost the same but no jets. We have tub, shower and my counter on one wall. I want to make shower bigger, get nice rectangular tub and get rid of counter. The other side has a long counter for DW with vanity part she never uses and I want to have two sinks on that side.

planomateo

Platinum Member
Looks amazing GoodAg. I like the two shower head shower.

We also have a corner tub that we are going to have to deal with when we redo our master bath. Not sure what we are going to replace it with at the moment.

Its always nice to see what others did to help visualize things. Thanks for posting!

mom22bz

For GoodAg

GoodAg - did you have a contractor do the work? If so - who did you use? You can send me a pm if you want. Looks great!

angelaN

Platinum Member
Good-Ag - I hate to say but that original bathroom was ugly. If bathrooms and kitchens sell homes why would a builder do that??

Your outcome was great and so much better use of space.

Zipper

Bronze Member
We are looking to redoing our master as well - if you used a contractor can you share who you used?

Your outcome was very nice! Too bad so many of us have less that great bathrooms!! :)

GoodAg

Double Platinum
Sorry to drag this back up top, but I didn't realize there were questions for me to answer!

I can PM you the name of my contractor if you want, but honestly, I think the key to my "success" in my outcome was because I hired a designer to help with the process. She went with me to pick out tile and granite, actually designed the shower/suggested two shower heads and corner bench, etc. etc. Once the designer gave him "the plan," it was easy for my contractor (or any contractor really) to run with it.

Christine Gee with Bellus ReDesign. Start with her (or any designer you like really), and then go from there. But you would really like her. She's a smart, kind, tool-belt totin' kind of gal that doesn't mind getting her hands dirty if she needs to.

KRae

Bronze Member
To all of you redoing master bathrooms -- I HIGHLY recommend putting in a shower system that includes body jets. You will never regret it. Once you shower with body jets, you will never feel the same in a regular shower!! :)
They are great and well worth the extra $$ IMO.
My old house had a very small inexpensive system, and when we moved I couldn't wait to remodel the MBath to put in jets. I missed them!!