Property tax reform bill

Rimrock

Double Platinum
If it just slows down property tax increases it will be at the very least a small victory. Still, I prefer the current model to having a state income tax. Heck, most states have both!

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
Texas ranks #5 in 2019 in overall (least) tax burden Fed, State and local taxes, up from #19 in 2017.

Mississippi was #1 in 2017 and dropped to #14 in lowest taxes in 2019
Connecticut was #50 in 2017 and dropped to #48 in 2019

Alaska is #1 in low taxes in 2019, but its citizens get a check from the state paid for by the oil companies.
New York is #50 but an Associates Degree is free.

Tax Freedom Day 2019 is April 16th

The irony is every state has massive debt. Texas has about $10,000 per citizen,
In 2018 the Federal Deficit grew by $110 billion to $778 Billion, the highest since 2012

There is no such thing as a Fiscal Conservative, except in the dictionary.

Last edited:
I just opened a checking account with Orion FCU. They pay 4% interest on checking accounts! I opened 4 accounts. That will help with these high Texas property taxes.

Opus

Silver Member
They can sign all the bills they want. I just know I won't be able to afford a $6k to $9k property tax bill each year once I retire. I already know I will be moving out of state.

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
Actually, Texas is 33rd and CT is 8th overall tax burden wise. New York is #1. Same old BSer.
Maybe I should have added the word "least." Texas, according to the Tax Foundation website, is ranked #5 least tax burden while it was ranked #19 in 2017.

Of those top 5 least states, Alaska and Texas are the only states without an income tax. Both Alaska and Texas have large revenues from oil.
Its nice to not have an income tax but its not the only source of taxes.

Opus

Silver Member
Maybe I should have added the word "least." Texas, according to the Tax Foundation website, is ranked #5 least tax burden while it was ranked #19 in 2017.

Of those top 5 least states, Alaska and Texas are the only states without an income tax. Both Alaska and Texas have large revenues from oil.
Its nice to not have an income tax but its not the only source of taxes.
Also I noted they said a $250k home in Alaska would pay around $3k in property taxes, here it would be double that.