Pool Not Level

My Pool is not level by approximately 3/4" to 1 1/4" after it was built this winter. The builder had an expert look at the pool but did not provide me with the results and they refuse to return my emails and calls. The Pool was completed 2 months ago and I am not sure what the ramifications are from having an unlevel pool and what the fix is to the pool. Also, what are my options? Thanks for the advice..

scraven68

Silver Member
Is this an in ground or above ground pool?

I would think either way you may be out of luck. They could claim the earth settled or some bs, and say "well that's just how it is in Texas". Ya know, THAT old chestnut.

Also, I am no expert, and am merely wondering myself, if it really matters for that small of a deviation? Is it causing a danger? Or is it just appearance-wise looking "off", like where it meets a deck or something?

I don't think it would cause you to lose any water or anything, so just wondering what is the exact concern over that small of a deviation? Other than it would probably irk the carp outta me too!

Interested to see other replies on this.

DatNubKyle

Unless you checked the level of the pool when it was completed, I'm guess it's a in ground pool, chances are the ground has shifted around because of all the recent rain.

Pool Not Level

Yes it is in-ground pool that was not level as soon as the pool was filled. In Fact, 3 different guys from the pool company told me to fill the pool when we realized it was right up to the drain level on one-side and not level on the other side. They said that after they sprayed the gunnite it probably shifted. I am just not sure if there will be issues in the future and if the pool company is responsible. At least correspondence of some sort.

scraven68

Silver Member
If the pool has moved then there will be problems with the plumbing, there is no give in the plumbing and the main suction drains at the bottom would have problems. If they break, you'll start seeing muddy water in your pump and your filter will get dirty much quicker and that's the least of the problems.

Wow, I could see that the movement would definitely over time cause major problems.

Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact they will not return his call! Ouch!

As much as I would LOVE to have a pool, I am so glad we did not get one or buy a house with an existing one. The stress would probably KILL me. LOL.

I hope WAG gets some sort of resolution to this.

The information that's missing is "Was the pool level at the completion and turn over?"

Is this part of a dispute before final payment or was the pool level at completion but now has moved? If it has "moved" then the surrounding patio will be the tell - tell sign.

Jayhawk

Gold Member
The information that's missing is "Was the pool level at the completion and turn over?"

Is this part of a dispute before final payment or was the pool level at completion but now has moved? If it has "moved" then the surrounding patio will be the tell - tell sign.
That's right. They may have just built it wrong.

The Pool has never been level

Wes, yes I am in West Frisco.. The pool has never been level from the moment that we filled the very first time in mid-January. If the pool has to be completely re-built, I am sure that is why they continue to ignore phone calls and emails. Does that mean that I have to file a suit against them? I have the emails and call dates to them. Thanks

Our pool shifted about 3 years after it was built. There are options to leveling the pool, but I would fight the pool builder to fix it, even if that means hiring an attorney. One way or another your going to be out some money.

Good Luck.

I would love to know who the builder is, as well. We have recently talked to 3 different companies because we will be building a pool this year or in the beginning of next and it is so frustrating because they all have a different opinion about the best way to construct the pool. All 3 of the companies are very reputable and have been around MANY years. One recommends soil injections and one says that injecting the soil will draw moisture away from the soil under your house---not good. They all have different opinions on if the pool needs to be "over dug" and filled in underneath with a "gravel" or different type of material and what that should be. Nobody recommended piers, but I know people in my neighborhood who have had piers recommended. How do you know what is best? I want to build a stable pool in the yard, but I don't want to spend $20-30K more to do something unnecessary.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Wes, yes I am in West Frisco.. The pool has never been level from the moment that we filled the very first time in mid-January. If the pool has to be completely re-built, I am sure that is why they continue to ignore phone calls and emails. Does that mean that I have to file a suit against them? I have the emails and call dates to them. Thanks
your pool should have been permitted, and inspected by the city building inspector. it may be beneficial to speak with the inspector and review the inspection requirements, and corresponding documents. if the pool being level is a requirement of the city, and your pool passed that portion of the inspection, you may have an uphill battle, but i bet the city will be a good resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It might affect my suit if I post the name

Since I will have to file suit against this company, I probably should not post on an open forum. I think it would be OK to PM me for the name. Thanks

If you are in west Frisco and specifically anywhere near the trails, do your homework.
Note that the soil conditions in all of North Texas are simply the worst you could possibly build on. There's nothing notably worse about "West Frisco" or "The Trails" than there is in any other local city or subdivision in the Metroplex.

Your quote should read "If you live anywhere remotely close to North Texas, do your homework."

We are in west Frisco--not the Trails. Every company we talked with said they would recommend piers if we were in Castle Hills, but none of them recommended it for our situation. At least they agreed on that, but that is about it.

I am in West Frisco, Eldorado and Teel. I had a fiberglass pool put in October 2010 and had no trouble with it. It is 7 times sturder than cement pools and having saltwater my costs are low. It doesn't have to be re-plastered every now and then. And it retains the heat longer. The dogs just started yesterday jumping in. Can't go wrong with a fiberglass pool! My personal opinion.

Actually I'm quite familiar with the situation. For the last 13 years, I've run the warranty and repair division for the largest volume residential foundation company in the metroplex. I work personally with superintendents from pretty much every volume builder you could name from West FW to Wylie. In fact, if you bought a home in Frisco in the last 10 years, chances are we did your slab. I'm way too familiar with the soil conditions, but thanks for the lesson. At least my boss got a kick out of it!

What you are saying is somewhat misleading in that it's like saying "What's worse? Losing $999 or losing $1000?" The truth is that both are equal degrees of suck, and that applies to all of the soil here. Your choices for soil conditions here are basically "crap, total crap, and complete crap." Trying to pinpoint one subdivision as worse than another is futile, as most of them aren't even consistent from one lot to the next.

I'm not saying those areas don't have problems, it's just that they are hardly unique scenarios. I'll ask the guys from Childress or Strand what they think.

Cheers
j

How-D-do!

Silver Member
Starwood: 1 mile away, completely opposite, most of the larger homes in that neighborhood are built on piers or have had foundation repair because of the large amounts of Caliche Clay in the area vs Chapel creek where most of it has been washed away leaving firmer soil.
Only parts of Starwood are like this - we are in a section where every pool builder has hit rock about 2-3 feet down.

BCW5

What pool company?? We are looking at either a gunite or fiberglass and with the issues your having with gunite... i am thinking fiberglass is looking better!!
Update?