Phillips Out

Green225

Platinum Member
1310 The Ticket is reporting Wade has been jettisoned and Jason Garrett will be the interim coach.

Also now being reported by CBS 11's Bill Jones.

Last edited:

Floridaguy

Diamond Member
I don't think Jones needs to set anyone up to fail.

Garrett probably already knows he's gone, too.
Less for Garrett and more for the public, I would think. It wasn't that long ago that Garrett was considered the unofficial "Coach in Waiting" by most "experts" and fans. You let Garrett steer this sinking ship until it's fully capsized, then you throw him under, too.

Floridaguy

Diamond Member
Garret's there for one reason only. Jerry' not going to be able to get the long term coach in here mid-season. Guys like Cowher, Grudin etc are not going to want to come in and deal with existing staff, the drama and whatnot. Garrett's just a sub.
Let see if Jerry can get those guys to come here. Should be interesting. I wonder if Grudin would demand GM authority.....he's been out of work for a while, he might be willing to deal with Jerry's crap.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
It wasn't long ago fans were speculating that Garrett would eventually be the next head coach of the Cowboys.

Since we have talented players already, I'm wondering if Garrett can turn the team around for the remainder of the season - he could possibly stay as head coach.

The firing makes no sense to me.

If you admit that the team is an embarrassment in all phases, and you admit to the necessity of a "culture change".....then why would you stop at only firing the head coach.

Might as well as kept him for the year. If you were truly interested in changing the culture, you would have fired:

1) the head coach (& defensive coordinator)
2) the offensive coordinator
3) special teams coach
4) the GM (yes you Jerry)
5) cut at least 4 players (or offered them up for trade)

The only thing that made sense in Jerry's press conference is that he is in denial. But his denial continues until he realizes he is equally responsible for the mess that are the cowboys.

I'm assuming he'll address 2,3 and 5 after the season. I know 4 is not going to happen. But my question is, why fire Wade at this point? Wade is only about 25% responsible for the mess. I know why Jerry did it.....to somehow appease stupid fans so that they will continue to pay $40 to park at his precious stadium.

Last edited:

Floridaguy

Diamond Member
If you admit that the team is an embarrassment in all phases, and you admit to the necessity of a "culture change".....then why would you stop at only firing the head coach.

Might as well as kept him for the year.
True in a strict organizational sense, but he had to send a message to the fanbase that he wasn't putting up with this. Plus, how do you think the rest of the season would go with a lame duck coach at the helm? Things would go from "really bad" to "total, massive failure" in about two weeks. It was clear that Phillips had given up hope two weeks ago. This had to happen.

If you were truly interested in changing the culture, you would have fired:

1) the head coach (& defensive coordinator)
2) the offensive coordinator
3) special teams coach
That only works if you got the replacement lined up, which he clearly doesn't.

rawhide

Diamond Member
Plus, how do you think the rest of the season would go with a lame duck coach at the helm? Things would go from "really bad" to "total, massive failure" in about two weeks.
At 1-7 record and with Romo out, failure is already here.

Firing Phillips is simply a band aid.

Floridaguy

Diamond Member
At 1-7 record and with Romo out, failure is already here.

Firing Phillips is simply a band aid.
Perhaps, but a band aid that comes with the added bonus of somewhat appeasing the fan base. Keeping Philips until the end of the season would just make things unbearable from a fan perspective. Not worth it.

rawhide

Diamond Member
Maybe, but I give the loyal fans more credit.

It is going to be unbearable no matter who the coach is because there is a major breakdown in execution for this team.

Any loyal fan knows the deal with Jerry.

Garrett will just be Fall Guy #2 come Jan 2011.

planomateo

Platinum Member
amazes me the Cowboys can fire a guy who is 35-23.....but guys like Dan Hawkins (19-38) are still coaching, and I'll throw Mike Sherman into that mix as well, but he just hasn't had the time to prove how bad he really is. maybe Sherman will make a liar outta me...but I doubt it.