Patio Heater....do you have one?

tdub4

Thanks to Tom at Upgrades Construction, we added a covered patio this summer.

Now we are looking at adding some kind of heat source and was curious if any one had suggestions for what they use? The tall propane heaters look like they might work but are a little taller and bigger than I would like but open to feedback. Also looking at some of the portable heaters used for camping or even an indoor one with infrared electric since it would always be covered and only out there when we are....then stored inside. Any thoughts?

rwmb52

Silver Member
Chiminea or outdoor pit.

Unfortunately, Tom never followed up with me so Deckmasters got my business. Great job!

Last edited:

tdub4

We have a chiminea for the part of our patio that isn't covered but I am looking for something to put underneath the covered part. Don't think I want the chimnea under the covered area as the 2 vents at the top are not really conducive for the smoke that gives out. Haven't tried it yet tho....

IBM5081

Platinum Member
How many people are you trying to "keep warm"?
How much of the area are you trying to heat?
What wind protection do you have in place?
And your budget would be?

We have a chiminea that is on our covered porch. There is approx. 6' between the top of the chimnea and the ceiling. It really only keeps about 2 people warm even when going full bore. They have to be seasoned as well. Can't give you a review on our standing gas heater. Haven't pulled it out of the box. We love our portable firepit the most. Really would like to have a pit put in when the patio is improved. It just reminds us more of when we lived in Arizona.

tdub4

With regards to where to buy, I am good with that as there are several places that carry them. I am more looking for any first hand experience using any type of heater for a covered patio and what works best. The portable kind, tall free standing, electric or propane, etc.

The space is 13x13 so just about 170 sq ft. Not as focused on pricing because it seems all the models fall in that150-300 range. The patio has a roof so the top is totally protected but it does have 2 openings to the back yard that are not protected.

IBM5081

Platinum Member
I have a "patio" AKA a covered back porch that is 15x35. The 35' dimension is completely open to the back yard on the NORTH side, so wind is definitely a factor. I have a propane torpedo heater rated at 55,000 BTUh which is pointed horizontally across the porch.
I would not use any of the "radiant" heaters because the area covered is quite small, 9x9. The side of your body facing the heater stays warm and the away side remains unheated. Same deal with the convection heaters typically kerosene fueled; all the heat goes UP unless you have some kind of fan to circulate.
There are plenty of "firepit" configurations that only warm your face but not your back. It's not easy to avoid "heating the whole back yard" without blocking the wind effectively.