Parking lot crawfish boil at The Dive tomorrow (Sat 24)

kenny6

Gold Member
Particularly after you did a good deed by them in starting this thread about their crawfish boil which probably brought them some additional business. (They probably don't read FOL of course - but I think any business should address input on their facebook page regardless of who posts the comment.)
Exactly what I was thinking. I felt like a fool for starting the thread after I tasted what they had. If I would have known I wouldn't have said anything here. I had invited a couple of La friends who live in Irving kind of last minute....was glad they couldn't make it. I would have felt bad.

Obviously they had a much better turn out than they thought. On facebook they said they ended up doing 500 lbs. I'm guessing they just went and grabbed some of those old ditch crawfish from Fiesta. LOL

Oh well. Lesson learned. :)

van

Diamond Member
Sorry to hear that. Im a very frquent diner at 5th street, LOVE their food. Went to The Dive once and was bewildered that it was from the same owners. Like night and day. Damn pricy too. Havent been back

Sorry to hear that. Im a very frquent diner at 5th street, LOVE their food. Went to The Dive once and was bewildered that it was from the same owners. Like night and day. Damn pricy too. Havent been back
Us too. Very confused how the two can be related. And The Dive seems like such a cool idea.

Glad I didn't make the effort to get over there for the crawfish.

Was it this bad when it was at 5th Street???

WELL thanks for the referral! Crawfish 101 Grocery store VS others!

I may decide to do this tomorrow! Sounds like fun. Would be interested to see if they're as good as, say, Dodie's (which are pretty good!).

Sidenote to fellow NOLA/SoLA expats, for my crawfish boils I remain a big fan of Cajun Crawfish Co., which is run by FOLer David Snell. Quality and service are top notch.

Last Friday, impulsively, I decided to have a boil with my parents in town, staying with us. Knowing that CCC doesn't really do spur of the moment kinds of things, I decided to give Fiesta Market on Parker Rd. in Plano a try. Picked up a sack. Smallish crawfish, all "field run" (as opposed to graded and washed "select" variety). Generally pleased, especially with the $2.49 price per pound (when buying a full sack), but they're not clean, there's a lot of junk in those sacks ... grass, debris, etc.

You don't have to purge the crawfish you get from David, but you may want to purge the Fiesta ones before putting them in the pot.

Thanks to whoever you are! Perhaps one day we will do their boil.....I am confident we would make some believers who tried ours!. As for the differences between "Fiesta/Tom Thumb/Kroger/Asian Market/Hong Kong Market..........vs a few others in town:

MOST grocery stores have to order days in advance of when YOU go buy. Plus grocery store crawfish are NOT "graded" as in they buy the least expensive crawfish they can many time including peelers etc. They are typically days old and although less than some others in town...........the old saying of get what you paid for rings true time and time again when trying to get a deal on grocery store crawfish. Sometimes GOOD sometimes bad as in small...........or old..........or smelly etc. WE save the horror stories for doubters. Plus it can be a gamble to order through local grocers and IF they do not come in........many times people have NO back up plan.

When crawfish are ordered the day before delivery.........people do not typically have to worry about "issues". Dead loss is next to nothing.........old crawfish are not anywhere around.

Plus you have the option to get larger crawfish for a slightly higher per pound rate than just settling for Field Run.

When doing a boil.........it has always been my opinion that people want to look like a Rockstar when serving them up. That starts with finding a solid and reliable source for your crawfish!

Hopefully we will be out/about this neck of the woods this season although our schedule books typically months in advance. Between two boils this Friday/Saturday scheduled for 3800 pound hopefully blowing past the 86,000 we moved last year! Several local companies other than grocery stores sell FRESH crawfish that come in over night. Low prices are great and enticing BUT most likely no one in this thread hears the horror stories we do each season about how they had some issues take place when ordering through a local grocer. Hard to substitute hot dogs for crawfish!! Thanks again.........David

I have offered to help them for two years on this event!

What a disappointment! I guess I should know better by now...

Got there around 5pm and they had already ran out, but they went to get more and had some ready within about 20 minutes of the time I got there. When I walked up I knew I was in for trouble when I saw how dirty the crawfish were. Put about a dozen on my plate and could barely eat them. They tasted like nothing but mud! They didn't even bother rinsing them off before they were boiled. Seasoning wasn't much. He was probably using the same dirty water all afternoon and didn't re-season. It was obvious they didn't know what they were doing.

I've never eaten at The Dive but I've been to 5th St. several times and the food was always excellent. The lady told me they are from Shreveport. Well, Shreveport is about as Cajun as North Dakota. They should stick to regular food!!! All these Shreveport ppl around here are giving Cajuns a bad name. LOL. I've been living here 10 yrs and the only place I know that can do boiled crawfish justice is David Snell up in Lewisville.

I'd have no prob going back to try their regular food but definitely won't be wasting my time or money on their so called "crawfish boil". I guess I mis-read the twitter post too....there was no live music, just a little radio with some Cajun tunes playin.

My 14th year of following the same recipe/process taught to us from a guy who was from Houma La and had a boiling business. "We season the meat you eat not the shell you throw to your feet" is OUR motto.

WE boil in water with little to NO seasoning as when they are done cooking we quickly transfer them to a second pot.........with water we hold at exactly 140-145 degrees. IN that tank we add our own dry blend and a pure liquid concentrate from la Fish Fry.........cant buy it on the shelves. AT 140-145 F we can soak crawfish for (hours) and NOT have them go soggy or break down etc. Same as why some use ice in their boiling pot when the crawfish float. ALL to cool the water down as TOO many people simply think that IF you "turn the flame off" the pot cools quickly it does not.

The cooler water temps help the seasoning get in to the meat etc. I all but promise for those who follow our directions on how to boil and use a seasoning mixture close to what we do...........you will impress anyone eating your crawfish.

Frustrates me as I have previously offered to (help them) do their boil simply for the exposure yet NO dice as of this year too I guess! KEY to building retention in an annual event where a boil takes place is to WOW people with the crawfish size/cleanliness and flavor.

I can boil 23 bags at once.........and have them all taste exactly the same once they have soaked. I hope they reach out to us next year as when events get too large..........some people still have trouble handing off their events and insist on doing it themselves.

We drove by but did not stop. Figured we would hear good/bad soon enough on FOL!

Maybe next year..........

Free offer for boiled crawfish..........done the right way!

Just thought I'd pass along the word. The Dive is having a crawfish boil in the front parking lot tomorrow. 3pm til they run out of crawfish...don't know how much they have.

They will have live Cajun/Zydeco music, crawfish races etc. Hopefully they will be able to serve beer outside!!! :beer:

I know it will not be like back home (never is), but I guess this is the closest we can hope for here in Frisco. :) I'm planning on going to check it out.
Just sent you a p.m. BUT I have about 5 bags of boiled crawfish we had left over from an event today. I HATE peeling and many times we throw left overs away.......sad BUT true when you see tens of thousands of pounds each season.

SO I am willing to give away up to 5 pounds a person who wants them........no catches just free crawfish. MUST get them next 48 hours or we will throw them away. I will giveaway up to two bags worth total (not all to one person) as I want three bags but not the other two. I simply hate throwing good/large/well seasoned crawfish away.........and I do year after year. Just do not want to see them go to waste............might as well go to a few people who are seeking "good crawfish"..............hopefully they will fill your need! Let me know........asap as they only keep a few days after being boiled/chilled etc

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
David, you're a good man - I know you know your way around food - and you volunteer so much of your time to the community.

PM or call me in the next few weeks or so. I think your crawfish boil would be perfect for two different charitable events that I'm hosting in the summer. What months of the year does your catering service do crawfish boils? Any constraints, or can you get supplies year around?

(We still want to organize an aerial Christmas lights tour this year! Are you booking dates yet?)

I'll pass on the free crawfish for now - but I'm posting this so that quester or kenny6 (or somebody else) will let me know how your crawfish tastes :)

Call away ......few takers already good!

Feel free my offer still stands till the amount I will give away is gone. I simply hate to throw away large seasoned boiled crawfish. It is great for peeling...or eating cold. I get spoiled to too much throughout the season so peeling is not in the cards for me typically! Just do not want it to get thrown away!

Let me know!

David

Last edited:

kenny6

Gold Member
My 14th year of following the same recipe/process taught to us from a guy who was from Houma La and had a boiling business. "We season the meat you eat not the shell you throw to your feet" is OUR motto.
LOL. So true... and someone posted on their facebook the day before "please season the water and don't sprinkle seasoning on top!" I replied and said "yes, do what she said".
Their reply was "this is not our first rodeo"... hahahah what a joke...

They may be able to get away with that with the locals who don't know what good crawfish are but they would be doing themselves a great favor if they let you do it David. I have had yours and they were excellent. Just like back home.

Thanks for the offer on the crawfish as well, but I probably won't be able to pick them up within the next couple days. I'll gladly pay for some later on though!! Keep up the good work!

Rat

Silver Member
David --

Question about your two-pot boil/soak method. I'm going to buy a second 60 quart pot for this purpose and was wondering how to season that soak pot effectively. My general question is how frequently you have to add more seasoning to the pot. Do you need to pour more liquid concentrate seasoning in after every batch you soak?

Good stuff

I've been there about 10 times. It's one of the best local places in town. I wish it was a little bigger because it's so crowded at lunch - but the food is top-notch.

Mike
lawnbroker.com

NO need to keep adding seasoning..........

David --

Question about your two-pot boil/soak method. I'm going to buy a second 60 quart pot for this purpose and was wondering how to season that soak pot effectively. My general question is how frequently you have to add more seasoning to the pot. Do you need to pour more liquid concentrate seasoning in after every batch you soak?
WE use 120 qts (rent them) as we use the big trailers for most of ours. IN a 120 qt pot we use about 3-4 pounds of dry and about 8 oz of this PURE liquid concentrate. NO need to add more each batch you soak. KEY IS TEMP!

You can always heat your pot and its contents back up. You cant cool it down as easily. IF you have a full bag to transfer to that 60 qt I would get the soaker tank to about 115 or 120f. The addition of the HOT boiled crawfish will raise your water temps an easy 15-20 degrees IF you move a full bag or 3/4ths over to the soaker after being boiled!

LONGER you soak better they taste. I suggest MIN 30-45 minutes.

Takes longer yes BUT the end results..............you look like you really know what the heck you are doing and your boil grows year after year!

FEW other tips so if you like feel free to call me to discuss.

IN a 60 qt YOU may start with 2 pounds of dry and water from base up to about 3-4 holes up in your basket.

LESS water= quicker boil = less propane etc.

BTW still sitting on free crawfish boiled if you like! ONCE you try most people do not change from the method we follow.

Thanks.

david

Rat

Silver Member
WE use 120 qts (rent them) as we use the big trailers for most of ours. IN a 120 qt pot we use about 3-4 pounds of dry and about 8 oz of this PURE liquid concentrate. NO need to add more each batch you soak. KEY IS TEMP!

You can always heat your pot and its contents back up. You cant cool it down as easily. IF you have a full bag to transfer to that 60 qt I would get the soaker tank to about 115 or 120f. The addition of the HOT boiled crawfish will raise your water temps an easy 15-20 degrees IF you move a full bag or 3/4ths over to the soaker after being boiled!

LONGER you soak better they taste. I suggest MIN 30-45 minutes.

Takes longer yes BUT the end results..............you look like you really know what the heck you are doing and your boil grows year after year!

FEW other tips so if you like feel free to call me to discuss.

IN a 60 qt YOU may start with 2 pounds of dry and water from base up to about 3-4 holes up in your basket.

LESS water= quicker boil = less propane etc.

BTW still sitting on free crawfish boiled if you like! ONCE you try most people do not change from the method we follow.

Thanks.

david
That's exactly what I was looking for, David. Just one more question: how do you season the cooking/boiling pot?

Thanks! I'll be calling you to place my order for at least two boils I'm doing this season!

Last edited:

Joe

Gold Member
That's exactly what I was looking for, David. Just one more question: how do you season the cooking/boiling pot?

Thanks! I'll be calling you to place my order for at least two boils I'm doing this season!
You don't. When I have used this method you boil in regular unseasoned water.

Last edited:
Joe got it right! IF using two pots......NO seasoning first pot!

I PROMISE this method will win people over. IF and ONLY if using two pots we boil in water with NO seasoning as the minute they float or are done.........we transfer them to the "soaker tank" or pot!

It is in the second pot we add our dry and the liquid. KEY (like a broken record) is to NOT allow the soaker tank/pot to get above 140-145F. It is in this second pot we encourage people to soak for as long as you can at least 30-45 minutes at theses suggested temps. You can soak crawfish at these temps for hours. YES hours and they will not turn mushy or soggy etc.

They simply keep tasting better and better. Our dry blend was mixed off/on for two years before we heard enough native Louisiana people tell us it was dead on leave it alone..........and we have.

Enough to get your nose running BUT NO sprinkled seasoning and your lips are not left on fire thus detracting from the flavor of the crawfish. TOO many local restaurants simply boil and sprinkle seasoning on the shell OR people boil in one pot and then simply turn the flame off thinking..........this is good. That water is still well above 180-200 degrees and will break the meat down plus they do not season that well.

I all but guarantee IF you follow our process................those eating your crawfish will think you are a rock star OR at least someone who knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to cooking your crawfish. IF you only have one burner/pot then as soon as they are done cooking be ready to add 1-2 bags of ice to cool that boiling water down to the 140-145F. Same thing as if you had a soaking pot .

Couple other suggestions: RE your red new potatoes I do not care how small you buy them............cut them in to about 3/4 inch slices OR quarter them as they will cook much faster.

Try BOTH mushrooms (whole) and of course the frozen corn cobbettes and maybe some shelled garlic cloves.

Boil all veggies first and then move to a cooler while you get ready to boil your crawfish. When the crawfish are done boiling (turn red and float and you can break the tails off to make sure the yellow "fat" is more like a cooked egg yolk vs runny) put all of your veggies back in to the empty crawfish bag. Then place the veggies in the bag back in to the soaking tank with your crawfish. BE patient good things come to those who soak..........

You will see...........and you should impress the heck out of whoever is eating. 30-45 minutes minimum for soaking. Longer they soak better they taste. HOURS to soak is fine so I suggest that you cook as much as possible and get them soaking.

I hear people tell us each season how they they think that ours are the best they have tried in town.

Hope you try this and soon you shall see!

Good luck

David

Perhaps FOL should host doing a big crawfish fund raiser for a local non profit in the near future? They are allot of fun when done right..........and to me boils are much better than your standard BBQ!

Last edited: