Parking lot crawfish boil at The Dive tomorrow (Sat 24)

kenny6

Gold Member
Just thought I'd pass along the word. The Dive is having a crawfish boil in the front parking lot tomorrow. 3pm til they run out of crawfish...don't know how much they have.

They will have live Cajun/Zydeco music, crawfish races etc. Hopefully they will be able to serve beer outside!!! :beer:

I know it will not be like back home (never is), but I guess this is the closest we can hope for here in Frisco. :) I'm planning on going to check it out.

Opus

Silver Member
Where is The Dive located? Do you know the cost? I just can't bring myself to pay $5/lb for crawfish when I used to pay that for all you can eat. We paid $4/lb on Fat Tuesday and it was $90 and that was drinking water not beer.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
We went one year when it was at 5th street. I dont remember the cost, but you bought a wristband and it was all the crawfish you could eat. It was also BYOB. Hopefully it will be the same setup at The Dive.

kenny6

Gold Member
It is $15 a person, eat what you want.

3685 Preston Road #167, Frisco, Texas 75034, (214) 872.3700
Visit us online at www.thedivefrisco.com

(north west corner of Preston and Warren, near 24 Hour Fitness)
Do you know what the beer situation is? BYOB?

The website doesn't mention anything about the event at all. I think I had saw a flyer posted somewhere or saw a mention on twitter with no details, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it at all.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Do you know what the beer situation is? BYOB?

The website doesn't mention anything about the event at all. I think I had saw a flyer posted somewhere or saw a mention on twitter with no details, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it at all.
I called them and they said they will have beer for sale, but it is not BYOB. She also mentioned that it will be in the parking lot and patio. They are cooking 350 lbs of crawfish, starting at 3:00.

Opus

Silver Member
Sort of kidding. Me, the wife and my 2 boys ate 20lbs on Fat Tuesday and we stopped just because it was getting too expensive. Plus they were really small so it was taking more work than it should to get the meat out. I will see if the wife and kids want to go tomorrow. Probably the last chance at crawfish this year, at least for us.

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
I'm a bachelor tomorrow, so I'll probably stop by around 5 PM (and possibly bring one of my kids.) They may want to reconsider the "all you can eat" aspect, otherwise there won't be much crawfish left after I arrive ;)

Rat

Silver Member
I may decide to do this tomorrow! Sounds like fun. Would be interested to see if they're as good as, say, Dodie's (which are pretty good!).

Sidenote to fellow NOLA/SoLA expats, for my crawfish boils I remain a big fan of Cajun Crawfish Co., which is run by FOLer David Snell. Quality and service are top notch.

Last Friday, impulsively, I decided to have a boil with my parents in town, staying with us. Knowing that CCC doesn't really do spur of the moment kinds of things, I decided to give Fiesta Market on Parker Rd. in Plano a try. Picked up a sack. Smallish crawfish, all "field run" (as opposed to graded and washed "select" variety). Generally pleased, especially with the $2.49 price per pound (when buying a full sack), but they're not clean, there's a lot of junk in those sacks ... grass, debris, etc.

You don't have to purge the crawfish you get from David, but you may want to purge the Fiesta ones before putting them in the pot.

kenny6

Gold Member
What a disappointment! I guess I should know better by now...

Got there around 5pm and they had already ran out, but they went to get more and had some ready within about 20 minutes of the time I got there. When I walked up I knew I was in for trouble when I saw how dirty the crawfish were. Put about a dozen on my plate and could barely eat them. They tasted like nothing but mud! They didn't even bother rinsing them off before they were boiled. Seasoning wasn't much. He was probably using the same dirty water all afternoon and didn't re-season. It was obvious they didn't know what they were doing.

I've never eaten at The Dive but I've been to 5th St. several times and the food was always excellent. The lady told me they are from Shreveport. Well, Shreveport is about as Cajun as North Dakota. They should stick to regular food!!! All these Shreveport ppl around here are giving Cajuns a bad name. LOL. I've been living here 10 yrs and the only place I know that can do boiled crawfish justice is David Snell up in Lewisville.

I'd have no prob going back to try their regular food but definitely won't be wasting my time or money on their so called "crawfish boil". I guess I mis-read the twitter post too....there was no live music, just a little radio with some Cajun tunes playin.

kenny6

Gold Member
So I posted a comment on their facebook page about not liking their crawfish. Instead of addressing it they just up and deleted my comment from their page! What a bunch of turds!!

I'll never set foot in any of their restaurants again! Too many other places to eat around here. Too bad...

So I posted a comment on their facebook page about not liking their crawfish. Instead of addressing it they just up and deleted my comment from their page! What a bunch of turds!!

I'll never set foot in any of their restaurants again! Too many other places to eat around here. Too bad...
I just commented on their facebook page about deleting your comment...Let's see how quickly they delete my comment :)

Rat

Silver Member
That's disappointing to hear, Kenny, but I'm glad I didn't go having read your report. Crawfish boils for Texans are easy ... they don't know how to eat them efficiently and have a too limited frame of reference to understand what makes GOOD boiled crawfish. Shreveport has more in common with Dallas culturally than with anything on the other end of I-49, so I wouldn't say they're any more adept at the art of a good "berl."

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum

Particularly after you did a good deed by them in starting this thread about their crawfish boil which probably brought them some additional business. (They probably don't read FOL of course - but I think any business should address input on their facebook page regardless of who posts the comment.)

Joe

Gold Member
In these parts I always boil my own. Much better and boiling is half the fun. The smell of the boiling seasoning alone is worth the trouble. (getting hungry now).