Ok, next question. Prosper. Yay or Nay?

quester

Double Platinum
We are trying to find a house fast. We just aren't finding what we want in Frisco and when we do, it it gone the same day. We found a spec in Prosper that has everything we want for the price we want.

I'd love input from anyone who has moved up there.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
We love Prosper.. However getting to the grocery store can be a pain. Its a 10 min drive to Main Street, Target and Costco.. And there is a lot of road construction going on right now, so the city is a mess..

other then that, this place is way cooler then Frisco.. Kids get home from school, and there are kids all over the place riding bikes or doing whatever kids do.. My boys love it..

Yards are much bigger here, and you get more home for the money VS Frisco..

Londoner

Platinum Member
we looked in prosper, frisco, mckinney, and far west plano... we settled on mckinney and absolutely love it here

never found the right house in frisco... always something to sacrifice, and usually that was lot size, and being we wanted a pool, that meant no backyard at all

propser was great in terms of lot size and family-oriented, etc... but knowing how much construction there is going to be over the next 2-5 years due to jerry jones retail-land on 380, didn't want to deal with all of that... and when the construction is over, i can only imagine the congestion that will follow... am thinking it will be similar to what we see in frisco near the mall... maybe won't be that bad, but in my imagination is will be

we're in far northwest mckinney, stonebridge @ 380... very close to frisco, and will be even closer to prosper when all that retail stuff is developed, but far enough away to avoid the resulting traffic... great elementary school, and feeds to mckinney north HS, which we like... got a nice sized pool and plenty of yard left over... so you might want to take a look

Reason Frisco is selling out fast

I have several neighbors that lived in my Frisco hood that wanted larger yards, less traffic congestion who moved out to Prosper...and after only 1 year, actually moved back to Frisco. Their main complaint...the schools...Their words, not mine, "Prosper is still a country school system that hasn't (and won't for a while) caught up with it's fast paced growth." The reason Frisco is so popular and why people put up with all the traffic, etc, is the schools. That's what it came down to for us. Once mine graduate, we will most likely search out a less crowded area. Love that homes are selling that fast. Hope my home continues to increase in value.

Londoner

Platinum Member
I have several neighbors that lived in my Frisco hood that wanted larger yards, less traffic congestion who moved out to Prosper...and after only 1 year, actually moved back to Frisco. Their main complaint...the schools...Their words, not mine, "Prosper is still a country school system that hasn't (and won't for a while) caught up with it's fast paced growth." The reason Frisco is so popular and why people put up with all the traffic, etc, is the schools. That's what it came down to for us. Once mine graduate, we will most likely search out a less crowded area. Love that homes are selling that fast. Hope my home continues to increase in value.
without knowing the details, i had heard similar things about prosper schools

keep in mind far east frisco that borders mckinney has far less traffic congestion and still in FISD... we almost settled on a house in stonelake estates, another in cascades... i believe those are FISD and are either in mckinney or frisco city limit

bard

Gold Member
Moved to Prosper in 09 after living in Frisco for 16 years. Schools have been great, taxes are higher, road construction will be the norm for years to come just like it was when we moved to Frisco. We'll have a grocery store in town before you know it, just like early 90s Frisco.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
I'll go the other way on the schools. I liked Frisco schools, but I like Prosper better. They are still exemplary, but the focus on TAKS/STAR seems a little toned down and more emphasis on some of the "fun" things like field trips, Christmas parties, etc. Plus the administration isnt spread as thin, so they seem to always be around at assemblies, lunch, etc.

As for everything else, here are my pro's/con's.

Pro's
- Yard size is larger
- People seem more laid back in general, outside more, etc
- There is much less traffic. I have to drive further to get to the store, but I dont have traffic like you see at Main/Teel, El Dorado, or by the mall.
- It has a small town feel, and everyone seems to know everyone.

Cons:
- Taxes. Frisco does a great job keeping taxes low. Prosper is more in line with the rest of the county, which can be a bit of a shock when moving from Frisco to Prosper.
- Water rate is higher

Neither Pro or Con:
- Prosper is mainly a residential community and tries to stay that way. That may change with whatever Jerry Jones is going to build, but they dont really encourage businesses development like Frisco. Its refreshing not seeing banks and nail salons on every corner and not having to worry about traffic, but it also means you are driving into Frisco or McKinney and spending your $ there. Some days I like this, some days I don't.

angelaN

Platinum Member
I have heard from many parents of special needs children that Prosper schools are not great for a lot of these kids.

Texas schools in general are not considered great for special ed. (They do some things well but other things dismally).

I might be biased, but I thought Prosper schools did a great job. I graduated from there in 2003 (can't believe it's been that long). I took pretty much every AP course that was offered, and there were plenty to choose from. They even offered Latin as a foreign language back in the early 2000s. It was a distance learning class, but I learned a lot and busted my butt to get there at 6:45 AM every morning so I could get 2 years of Latin in 1 year of school.

There was very little focus on TAKS/STARR/TAAS/whatever. I think we went over it for portions of class for maybe a week? But keep in mind I was in the more advanced classes and those tests were very easy for us.

I know with the school growing so much in the last few years that many of my original teachers have retired and new ones have come in, so I do realize things have changed. All I know is that when I got to college I was 100%, completely prepared. I excelled in my classes, especially any that involved writing, and I contribute most of that success to my education. Nothing I came across in college really blind-sided me or made me feel unprepared.

Don't get me started on the actual city though, because it is so different and it's a bit sad to see how much it's changed. It's just not the place I grew up in anymore. :(

orchid

We did look at Prosper before moving to Frisco from Allen. We actually do see people out of doors where we are so it's quite nice. I think it really depends on which subdivision you are in.

LLB

Silver Member
I live in Celina but several of my doctors are in Prosper, wish my house was in Prosper. I love the people in Prosper and some in Celina. I have found the born and raised Celina people are not very welcoming, it's grown a lot so there are now more 'outsiders' than there are born and raised here. Prosper people seem nicer and I love the houses being built there more than what is just a mile north.

On a side note, I had no clue JJ lives out here, I haven't seen a clown driving out here.

Wow.... My son started in fisd at Kinder and will be in high school next year.We have been severely dissapointed in fisd . if I had to do it over again, we would have gone a different route.

I've been considering looking at Prosper, but I just don't know if I want to be that far north. DS works in Richardson which would make her drive a bit longer, and I work from home all but 1-2 days a week, and I only have to go to legacy.

Taxes might be a bit lower here in Frisco, but the higher prices on the homes really even that out, if not make it worse.

We've been looking at Plano and McKinney, I'm just not sure where I want to end up though.