Ok. I'm just going to throw it all out there.

What is the fascination with teens liking My Little Pony? And it's a lot of boys too! Almost cultish it seems. My 12 yr old son is obsessed with it. My husband constantly teases him about it. Is this a fad, phase, or should I be worried? It kinda creeps me out that he loves it so much. Up until a couple months ago he loved Dr Who and still does. But this seems out in left field. Please help a worried mom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My group liked them, but this was 25+ years ago. We would sit around and come up with the strangest names for them as an activity on the front porch. I honestly can't remember if there were boys involved, but it wouldn't surprise me. We'd sit with a pad of paper and write down the most outrageous names for ponies. Is this what they are doing? Maybe a creative outlet?

What is the fascination with teens liking My Little Pony? And it's a lot of boys too! Almost cultish it seems. My 12 yr old son is obsessed with it. My husband constantly teases him about it. Is this a fad, phase, or should I be worried? It kinda creeps me out that he loves it so much. Up until a couple months ago he loved Dr Who and still does. But this seems out in left field. Please help a worried mom.

I would also ask if he has a sister or cousins playing with this stuff?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it persay, kids play with all sorts of things. My daughter us equally into dinos, legos, cars, etc, and completely ignores her bitty baby and doll house. And I let her. My son as well. They can play with whatever they have available, and I am ok with that. Always.

Last edited:

perseco

Double Platinum
My only concern would really be whether or not he visits 4chan.org. A huge portion of the brony community is on 4chan, and that's where a lot of it started. 4chan is an image forum that has a lot of... depraved, immature (often explicit and NSFW) material... that can be a bad influence for someone his age.

That said, if you can't find any evidence (browser history) of him frequenting 4chan, then it should be fine. There are even bronies in the military... with brony patches.

He'll likely move to another obsession if he's like my son at all. My son went through phases - the longest being Thomas trains, followed by Leggo model kits, followed by Pokemon, followed by Transformer model kits, followed by collecting/playing guitars and World of Warcraft video games. Now at 20, he does none of those things - but is obsessed with collecting vinyl albums (searching thrift and old music stores), reading history books for fun, drinking beer and college partying.

Each of those earlier obsessions from about 3 to about 16 involved weekly trips to the store (constantly begging), watching anything he could on TV (or the Internet) related to his hobby, and carrying those items with him everywhere we went. I don't believe we have any family photos of him without a Thomas train or Transformer in his hands.

I got him involved in every sport you can name along the way but he showed no interest - dropping out after 2-3 months each time. He preferred his obsessions (hobbies) played usually alone in his room instead of interacting with people - so I would force him to join middle school and high school clubs to socialize him. Theatre Arts finally struck - and over 4 years of his high school plays he developed an outgoing humorous confident personality. He is studying to become a history professor and has joined the mainstream world now, thank God - he used to spend way too much time alone with his hobbies du jour. I've even got him working out at the campus athletic center. So it's probably just a phase with your son, zaneybear.

Other than this interest he is all boy. He used to play soccer. He has lots of friends and is outside a lot. Has a girlfriend. Even at 12. He is very outgoing. He likes theater and is trying out for his second play today. Ugh. I don't know. I'll look at those websites.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but 12 is quite old in my opinion to be playing with My Little Pony. I would look deeper, as you appear to be doing.

brianw76

Silver Member
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but 12 is quite old in my opinion to be playing with My Little Pony. I would look deeper, as you appear to be doing.
This is ridiculous and probably the reason these kids do these things. Some do it for shock value, some do it as an attempt to break stereotypes, and others do it just because they like the MLP reboot. Do a google search on Brony and you'll get all the info you need. Urban Dictionary has this as a pretty funny listing:

Typically refers to 13-30 year old male fans of the 2010 reboot of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but may also include females (see fillies).

Brony = Bro + Pony

While generally associated with a negative stereotype by outsiders, due to it's former 80's frilly girly-girl twinkle-toed tea-parties and all-female main casting, bronies are attracted to the new show by it's good animation, acting, writing, and humor.

Having once been on the outside, bronies can love and tolerate others until they themselves become bronies. However, haters gonna hate— most likely due to the fact that they have a masculinity inferiority complex, where they believe that if they watched My Little Pony, others like them will label them as an effeminate freak.
Seems harmless enough.

viennadew

Bronze Member
No worries! One of my dd best friends is a boy, 13. They like each other as more, but can't date til 16. He is wonderful, great parents, and the only boy I know would never disrespect her by making moves on her. I am taking them to a Cathing Fire premiere tonight.

He is a brony...I think more to have things in common w the girls plus the shows have good moral lessons....lol.

If their grades are good, they have good friends, are good citizens....jump for joy!

angelaN

Platinum Member
I will ask my teens. If it is at Hot Topic I would be suspect that there is some drug tie in.

Although we were into Smurfs at that age. Well my best friend was and I indulged her with a 5 foot high Smurf for her sixteenth birthday.

I see some gender stereotyping in this thread. If it was a girl playing with My Little Pony at age 12 most people wouldn't comment. So what if it is a boy? - who cares - why are we pushing gender boundaries on kids at such young ages? (My daughter preferred to dress like a boy when she was a young girl and hang out with me on errands for hours every Saturday morning or working on the cars - she liked to wear a sports t-shirt with cut-off raggy jean shorts with a baseball cap on backwards and a bandana handkerchief hanging out of her back pocket to wipe her greasy hands - she got the idea that boys dressed like that from TV. She also could beat most of us guys at any sport. Yet she still turned out like a southern belle (sorority girl) just like her mom later in life and is a real fashion maven.)

I wouldn't worry one bit about him playing with My Little Pony if he was my son.

Last edited:
My 12 yo DD and all of her friends are into My Little Pony. It's annoying. LOL! She has a few figures, but she doesn't play with them. She loves the cartoon and sings the songs all the time. And everything is pony this or pony that. She and her friends all have their own pony and cutie marks that they have designed. She says she likes them because they are cute. She knows a few "bronies" but doesn't think anything of it.

I was ok with it because before this she was everything "Warriors" and that got annoying, too. She's still into the Warrior books, but MLP has definitely taken over. I miss the Warrior days...at least there weren't any annoying songs that she was singing at the top of her lungs to annoy her brothers.

van

Diamond Member
Hummmmmm, I have a 12 year old boy, and all they do is live and breathe Minecraft. :)
Im not aware of any huge craze right.

I don't know your son or you, and the last thing I want to do is offend you, so please take this with a grain of salt. 12 year old boys shouldn't be playing with 5 yr old girls toys. IMO. There, someone had to say it. Unless they were attaching them to rockets and shooting them into space...... ;)

My main concern would be their peers. You know how kids can be in middle school. I'd hate for them to be teased. Kids can be cruel.

I don't know your son or you, and the last thing I want to do is offend you, so please take this with a grain of salt. 12 year old boys shouldn't be playing with 5 yr old girls toys. IMO. There, someone had to say it. Unless they were attaching them to rockets and shooting them into space...... ;)

Sorry....but I gotta go with Van on this one....