NTTA Tolls for OOS (Out of State) plates

Rimrock

Double Platinum
The vast majority of highways in TX are not toll roads so....... Anyway, I still have no clue besides rigid dogma why Rebubs will not raise gas tax to pay for highways. Its bizarre to me. I know funds that should have been used for roads have been diverted over the decades but they could firm that up..I mean they do control the Texas legislature.

Invader

Silver Member
The vast majority of highways in TX are not toll roads so....... Anyway, I still have no clue besides rigid dogma why Rebubs will not raise gas tax to pay for highways. Its bizarre to me. I know funds that should have been used for roads have been diverted over the decades but they could firm that up..I mean they do control the Texas legislature.
Because Government whether Democrat or Republican want to control our money. Gasoline Tax is one example, The Texas Lottery is another. "All the money will fund Education" Fact "Between 1992 and 1997 revenue from the lottery did not go directly to education. Instead, it went straight into the state's general fund which meant it could be used for any expense."
VERIFY: Does Texas lottery money go to schools?

Opus

Silver Member
Unfortunately that "It will fund education" happens in all states and it rarely actually does once they start siphoning it off. You also have to remember the gas tax was pulled from Texas and other states years ago to finance the war.

Forward all you want AGH, I am leaving North TAXES behind. Golf, it's double taxation because we already pay taxes for fuel and to a lesser extent property that are supposed to go towards ROADS. But NTTA knows they can extort money out of relatively wealth North Texas to spend wherever they want. The state then sells off the future toll collection rights to a private entity with local law enforcement acting as a fee collector to get a near term pop in financing the State so they can claim a "balanced" budget.
It is not double taxation. Roads costs money. They have some total cost. Fuel taxes pay for "other" roads and tolls pay for toll roads. It is not fair for people to pay for roads they do not use. It is also not fair that some people pay more per mile than others just because they get different mpg.

If you think the use fee in TX for toll roads is wrong, then compare to California that has state income tax, car tax, environmental tax, business license tax, personal property tax (for business), and gas tax is so high, it costs over $4/gal. They also have toll roads.

Texas is heaven if it were not so hot.

It is not double taxation. Roads costs money. They have some total cost. Fuel taxes pay for "other" roads and tolls pay for toll roads. It is not fair for people to pay for roads they do not use. It is also not fair that some people pay more per mile than others just because they get different mpg.

If you think the use fee in TX for toll roads is wrong, then compare to California that has state income tax, car tax, environmental tax, business license tax, personal property tax (for business), and gas tax is so high, it costs over $4/gal. They also have toll roads.

Texas is heaven if it were not so hot.
I guess your version of heaven is flat and pretty featureless.

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
The rental car companies have an additional service fee that they add to the toll. So if you rent a car for a long out-of-town trip you might avoid NTTA roads. I got caught in Florida the service fee was $25 back in 2007. I think the toll was $3.