NTTA Tolls for OOS (Out of State) plates

Mommyp

Platinum Member
Anybody know if NTTA charges out of state plates?? If they do, what danger is there of not paying??

Since almost all of my cars are registered out of state at this point, I'm ready to collect some services for illegal payment charges previously remitted to that bastard agency.

Opus

Silver Member
Depends on if your state shares plate info I believe. My FIL is out of state and he got bills from the toll authority in Houston and the one here. I guess the worse they could do is hit your credit score with a nonpayment, but not even sure if they can do that.

Invader

Silver Member
Rumor - "NTTA won’t charge out-of-state drivers. NTTA currently partners with a third party to acquire out-of-state vehicle information for our ZipCash billing process. NTTA aggressively pursues all tolls owed, whether the vehicle is registered in Texas or another state. For out-of-state vehicle owners who want a TollTag: TollTag accounts are available to both in- and out-of-state customers. You can open a TollTag account or add a vehicle to an existing account via our online Customer Service Center, at a Regional TollTag Partner location, or by calling us at (972) 818-NTTA (6882). But remember, Texas law requires new residents to update their vehicle registration information within 30 days of relocation. Visitwww.TxDMV.gov"
https://www.ntta.org/newsresources/medcent/Documents/Rumors_List_Answered.pdf

Mommyp

Platinum Member
Oh I know you can register an OOS plate, but given I'd like to let NTTA pound sand as often as I can, what enforcement mechanisms do they have for OOS owners.

I've been subjected to NTTA's illegal taxes for over 20 years, I'm looking to get a few free rides while I kiss them goodbye forever.

AGH

Gold Member
A copy of this thread had been forwarded to NTTA for review. I'm sure they will be in touch as they dislike OOS'ers using our state's facilities without paying the required fees as much as I do. There is no free ride..... ;-)

golfacct

Silver Member
I find double taxation illegal.
Not sure how you are calling it double taxing. It is a fee (yes tax) to drive on certain roads. If you do not want to pay it then don't drive on them. You driving on them and then not paying seems more like breaking the law. Some might think is could be considered stealing. I know that is an extreme but I do not see our point being a valid one.

Mommyp

Platinum Member
Forward all you want AGH, I am leaving North TAXES behind. Golf, it's double taxation because we already pay taxes for fuel and to a lesser extent property that are supposed to go towards ROADS. But NTTA knows they can extort money out of relatively wealth North Texas to spend wherever they want. The state then sells off the future toll collection rights to a private entity with local law enforcement acting as a fee collector to get a near term pop in financing the State so they can claim a "balanced" budget.

AGH

Gold Member
The taxes on motor fuel hasn't been adjusted in 30 years, so in reality you are only supplementing that out of date tax by paying tolls. Its not double taxation, but a different way of taxing that pays for specific roads only that supplements the current statewide tax. The other choice is to increase the current motor fuel tax so everyone pays more. I'm pretty certain that if you lived in West Texas that option would not be a favorite of yours.

Mommyp

Platinum Member
Great, then my toll money should not be funding west Texas roads - BUT IT IS!!

Your argument is ridiculous. Gas tax is the most efficient and fair way to pay for public roads. You drive on roads, you pay for roads. You drive more, you pay more. Additionally, utilizing the gas tax would promote more fuel efficient vehicle purchases. Texas does a fantastic job of moving dead air and excessive steel around for no purpose. The State taking advantage of high growth, wealthier areas to pay for Billy Bob's paved road to the liquor store is just plain stupid and double taxation.

Opus

Silver Member
Show me where it says NTTA tolls are used on west texas roads? From everything I've read they only pay for roads that NTTA is building.

I'm not sure your billy bob example proves your point. The wealthier highly populated areas like north texas pays for all the little used roads in the other parts of the state with the gas tax. The state already has to pull money from the general fund to maintain the roads it has.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
He either won't be able to do anything about the current toll roads or the other (tolling 75) is already dead. Once they bribed the local leaders to accept tolling of 121 we were firmly and totally screwed.

Skeeter

Platinum Member
I returned back to Texas last Thanksgiving. Saturday I got my toll bill for $3.75. I paid it because I didn't want it to turn into a $75 collection. So glad I got out of Taxes three years ago.