New pool construction contractor

arhouck

The last informative thread on this subject was last year. Any changes for the 2015 new builds? Looking at getting quotes later this month or next, no rush on the build and thinking straight line/geometric. I want chlorine, he wants salt.

I have had 3 pools. Foley was the best builder and offered more for the money. They included a lot of things for which other builders charge extra like auto filler, appropriate drainage, size of gas line for heater, etc. Your builder needs to be very knowledgeable about rain water drainage from your house and flower beds. Otherwise, you end up with mud holes and run-off problems. I've heard good reports about Hauk but have no personal experience.

Salt vs chlorine is a personal preference and seems to get strong opinions both ways. I've had 2 chlorine and 1 salt pool. After the high price of equipment maintenance, I converted my salt system to chlorine. My understanding of basic chemistry tells me that salt is sodium chloride which is converted into chlorine in the pool. Some indicate the water is softer and gentler with salt systems but I noticed no appreciable difference. When salt pools need to be shocked, chlorine is used. Since salt systems convert salt to chlorine, I choose chlorine systems and save the money.

sjdfw

Silver Member
I've had chlorine and salt, prefer the salt as it seems lower maintenance. If I forgot to refill the chlorine tabs, the pool would go to crap for a few days. I used Mirage about 2 yrs ago and wasn't overly happy with their customer service during and post installation. Although, when I had to run issues up the chain to the owner, things seems to get addressed. It was frustrating to have to take it to that level.

arhouck

75% now, seems silly to refi. FMG your thoughts? We cut Foley today, seems like the guy you want to go have a drink with and not the one to build your pool.

What's up with all the utility companies using my backyard to run their lines across and not the easement?

LLB

Silver Member
Have you talked to Hauk Pools in Celina? I couldn't be happier with our pool. We dealt with Nick Hauk and he was easy to talk to and he actually listened to what we wanted and even added to our thoughts. We now have a natural looking pool and outdoor kitchen w/huge patio.

arhouck

Have you talked to Hauk Pools in Celina? I couldn't be happier with our pool. We dealt with Nick Hauk and he was easy to talk to and he actually listened to what we wanted and even added to our thoughts. We now have a natural looking pool and outdoor kitchen w/huge patio.
Yes, Hauk is still in the hunt.

We went with Mirage. We couldn't get Hauk to budge on pricing. Had a few issues, but they were all addressed after went up the ladder as well. We had same issue of Coserv have utility line across the yard. After a month of blaming builder for the issue, they agreed to split the cost of re-routing the line. We have had 3 pools, first two were with Robertson pools. Extremely unhappy with the 2nd pool, so that is why we didn't even consider them. Two pools salt, this one chlorine though. Salt pool at our 2nd was eating away at our flagstone.

arhouck

We had same issue of Coserv have utility line across the yard. After a month of blaming builder for the issue, they agreed to split the cost of re-routing the line.
How did you get Coserv to split the cost?

We are still working with the rest of the builders and are going chlorine.

Just complained enough with management. At first they blamed our builder, so we thought they would cough up the cost. They said no way. So went back to Coserv. After calling everyday and being upset, they gave the split option. It still cost us almost $600 out of pocket.

BeerGirl

Diamond Member
We really liked building with Medallion! We're one of goofy's friends. Communication was amazing. Everything happened timely. We really were swimming in 30 days (built about this time last year).

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to add - we have had a few warrant issues and they respond the same day and have pretty much fixed within a day or two for the issues. They don't put you off and always respond!

We used Mirage and it was an absolutely TERRIBLE experience. They were wonderful until the day we signed the contract and then nobody would return a phone call or answer a question. The customer service experience was bad but the finished product was even worse. Tons of problems. Just very poor work.

I would stay very far away from them.