New development in Frisco - Wade Park

Mom+4

Silver Member
Biz..

However, I will tell you, I was glad they let NFM go.. that was extortion at it's finest.

The city and EDC's successes put Frisco in the enviable position of walking away from the NFM deal.

I'm not a rose-colored glasses cheerleader for the City and School District. They aren't perfect by any means. They get a lot of things right. But, like any growing organization, there is room for improvement.

I do have to agree that our city leaders, staff and councils have done a very good job leading the city through VERY fast growth periods. We don't have city leaders purchasing homes for City Managers or city staff/Mayors strong-arming businesses to get their way (Dallas and other cities). We have a council that MOSTLY works together (dissension is important) for the betterment of the city (unlike some small towns north of us). The election process is fair and transparent. The city doesn't (or at least doesn't appear to) play favorites with candidates.

Have there been mis-steps? Sure. Frisco Square and Downtown are like the step children. Grand park? I realize there are roadblocks outside of the city's control on this. Dog Park? Depends on who you ask. Stupid directional signs. The Cowboy's deal? maybe...maybe not. Time will tell.

The deal in question in this thread - the Wade development - great move. A higher-end shopping district is welcomed in Frisco. Another nice development to line the Tollway. As more people and $$$ move north to Prosper and Celina, having easy access retail along the tollway is important.

In that short couple of paragraphs you use the word "I" 11 times. Don't assume the rest of us are not as engaged as you are in city affairs. Each of us may have our own way of gathering information. Don't assume your way of doing it is the best way - it is your way, it may not be everyone else's way. We are all entitled to our opinions. We are all entitled to express our opinions. Don't be critical because others choose a different method than yours.
Who cares how many I's I used to defend my position after you attacked me for being uniformed and assumptive? Very condescending on your part. Next time I won't bother. (Back to this thread's topicality - I'm thrilled for us to get Wade Park. Have faith Piiilot - no special interest groups, no hidden agendas, no leaders in Frisco lining their pockets. And I haven't asked the EDC if they gave Wade Park any incentives - but I'd be fine if they did - I'll take the sales tax revenue and property tax revenues coming from Wade Park - plus the job creation.)

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Who cares how many I's I used to defend my position after you attacked me for being uniformed and assumptive? Very condescending on your part. Next time I won't bother. (Back to this thread's topicality - I'm thrilled for us to get Wade Park. Have faith Piiilot - no special interest groups, no hidden agendas, no leaders in Frisco lining their pockets. And I haven't asked the EDC if they gave Wade Park any incentives - but I'd be fine if they did - I'll take the sales tax revenue and property tax revenues coming from Wade Park - plus the job creation.)
You better go back and read my post, I simply asked if we used EDC money. I then posed the same question to the Council Member that owns this site, and he has not answered. You need get some thicker skin my friend, you attacked several of us first. Questioning the actions of the government is still allowed last I checked. Sorry you don't like that.

Mom+4

Silver Member
You better go back and read my post, I simply asked if we used EDC money. I then posed the same question to the Council Member that owns this site, and he has not answered. You need get some thicker skin my friend, you attacked several of us first. Questioning the actions of the government is still allowed last I checked. Sorry you don't like that.
REG seldom responds to city-related questions on this site. I'm sure he - as well as other city councilmen - read the site, but it would be a big mistake for them to comment on an open forum like this. Too much room for mus-interpretation or it's easy for those with differing opinions to pounce on a few words and take it out of context.

FOL is a privately-owned business that happens to be owned by a city councilman. I don't remember the year the Cheney's bought FOL, but I'm quite certain it was BEFORE he was elected. This may be the venue to discuss amongst ourselves and duke it out online, but it is certainly not the venue for Council, the Mayor or staff to join in.

The city has a message board for official information (or did at one time). Emails and phone calls are generally answered.

I do not believe elected officials or city staff have any obligation to join FOL and respond to anonymous posters - regardless of ownership.

Think of it as letters to an editor to a local newspaper. You can write a letter, the paper can publish it, but elected officials/city staff don't have to respond.

Last edited:
I did get confirmation tonight that EDC is putting some money into Wade Park. I don't know how much. But this project is going to create plenty of job growth (plus my aforementioned increase in sales tax revenue and property tax revenue.). Tons of retail, restaurant and hotel sales (good for the CVB hotel/motel tax funding also - what the CVB is currently doing to increase tourism in Frisco is a very good thing.)

Plenty of mid-rise office buildings in the early phases - and in later phases may include up to five 20 story office towers - great for job growth and more room to absorb relocating companies - we're currently low on enough available contiguous office space to absorb the larger relocations.

Last edited:
Just like on Cowboys.. the EDC will shortly publish any involvement.. 700 Mil is a nice investment in Frisco, and would not have happened if JJ hadnt signed on the line that is dotted...

bizguy

Diamond Member
Just like on Cowboys.. the EDC will shortly publish any involvement.. 700 Mil is a nice investment in Frisco, and would not have happened if JJ hadnt signed on the line that is dotted...
Surely you are not suggesting that the Wade Park development would not have happened without Jerry World coming to town....

It did have a bearing on the developer's decision to invest heavily in Frisco biz. They wanted to have the closest high end mixed use shopping center to Frisco Junction and the Cowboys. Despite how crappy Irving and Arlington have built out their areas near the Cowboy facilities - developers have confidence in developing this area of DNT. More announcements coming.

bizguy

Diamond Member
It did have a bearing on the developer's decision to invest heavily in Frisco biz. They wanted to have the closest high end mixed use shopping center to Frisco Junction and the Cowboys. Despite how crappy Irving and Arlington have built out their areas near the Cowboy facilities - developers have confidence in developing this area of DNT. More announcements coming.
That is the truly the question now isn't it - is the population growth and high household income and other demographics driving this development engine or is it Jerry World... my guess is that it is 95% the former and the existence of Cowboys training facility has about as much impact as does RR stadium, FISD quality or the weather... but I will caveat that - that is my opinion and now we can all argue about in fine FOL fashon :)

That is the truly the question now isn't it - is the population growth and high household income and other demographics driving this development engine or is it Jerry World... my guess is that it is 95% the former and the existence of Cowboys training facility has about as much impact as does RR stadium, FISD quality or the weather... but I will caveat that - that is my opinion and now we can all argue about in fine FOL fashon :)
I agree bizguy - but hard to prove either way in consultants' economic impact analyses that are part factual data/established accepted metrics, part SWAG's and part wishful prayers.

I do agree that most developers (and relocating employers) choose Frisco because of the "complete package of community opportunities and amenities" not just because of any one economic magnet like The Cowboys. But I do believe The Cowboys facility dramatically speeds up "economic time to contribution" by bringing these developers here SOONER who may have eventually come to Frisco anyway. Increasing property tax and sales tax revenue faster, population growth sooner, job creation sooner, etc. - probably in the magnitude of MANY YEARS SOONER.

And the only downside off the top of my head is that we need to speed up road development, city and schools infrastructure - and water supply sooner.

bizguy

Diamond Member
I agree bizguy - but hard to prove either way in consultants' economic impact analyses that are part factual data/established accepted metrics, part SWAG's and part wishful prayers.
Honestly, this may be smartest thing said on the subject and is one of the reason TDC is my hometown hero :)

:toast:

Daytimer

Double Platinum
That's the meme Jerruh's cheerleaders are going with? That every future development in Frisco is directly attributable to The JerryDome?
Sure is. How else are we supposed to rationalize a $150 million dollar taxpayer-funded "investment" for a famous local billionaire?

It also makes it easier to swallow the $12 Miller Lite The Official Beer of the Dallas Clownboys!! as we sit in the newest Jerrydeauxme watching the NFL's perennial mediocre football team wander around during their "practice." Personally, I think Jerry should sit in his suite and stand on his head for all the visiting city dignitaries. It achieves the same purpose and would be a helluva lot less insulting to the rest of us footing the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

pearceg

Diamond Member
It also makes it easier to swallow the $12 Miller Lite The Official Beer of the Dallas Clownboys!! as we sit in the newest Jerrydeauxme watching the NFL's perennial mediocre football team wander around during their "practice."
Are you kidding? NFL practices are locked down tighter than military war planning. Joe Sixpack will get to swill his $12 Miller Lites and chow down on $45 Papa John's pizzas for the one contractually-mandated week that training camp has to be held in Frisco and that's it.

Personally, I think Jerry should sit in his suite and stand on his head for all the visiting city dignitaries.
How about he just pick his nose for his adoring fans instead?

Mom+4

Silver Member
They can't even seem to finish Stonebrook between Preston and the DNT....good luck
ETA: OOPS - realize this is was the EAST side of Stonebrook - which is a PITA. I was thinking the WEST side of Stonebrook, which has been held up forever because of federal issues.

You do realize the City's hands have been tied on this...right? This isn't a CITY issue, it's a federal issue I believe (either EPA or Corp of Engineers..can't remember which). But it's easier to &*X*&S about the city then actually learn why there are hold-ups.

Many times, ROW and easement issues arise with landowners. Unlike Dallas, Frisco doesn't strong-arm, threaten or sic the FBI on landowners into order to take their land for roads. Maybe a bit of bribery and arm-tugging...(j/k), but nothing like Dallas and other cities have pulled.

Last edited:

Rebel

Diamond Member
There was/is a slight delay on movement of a utility for the Stonebrook Pkwy Improvements. Aside from that, its on schedule. It might feel like it takes forever but when you're installing a 36 inch water line in addition to adding a lane, and keeping all intersections open for traffic movement, on a street that is essentially fully built out on both sides, its never an easy process.