New development in Frisco - Wade Park

Bull_07

Platinum Member
I really want to like Frisco square.
One of the things that is wrong with Frisco Square is access. Having a one lane road (each way)through Frisco to get there during rush hour traffic (or any traffic)BLOWS!
For those on the west it probably doesn't bother you as much, but on the east, I would rather go to Shops of Legacy.

mattbta

Silver Member
Just yet in another string of developments in Phrisceaux badly aimed at imitating Southlake's Towne Square or Plano's Shoppes of Legacy.

Hey sparky, tell us again that story about how you think gubmint shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers.

Do you even know why/how Southlake is what it is now? I grew up in a town only second in per capita income to HP. Any guesses where?

Whole Foods has been talking to that developer at Wade Park for almost a year now (plus conversations with two other developers along Preston.). From my sources, this shopping center has been the preferred location in discussions - but I still don't know if it is a 100% done deal yet. (If anyone has better info., please keep us posted - crossing my fingers, this is near my house and I need a healthy grocery store nearby - please! I'll literally be there 3-4 times a week, I hate driving to Fairview or Plano.)

jsutter

Bronze Member
700 more apartments..........
Oh the horror! I cannot believe that they still let apartment dwellers into the golden, gated walls of Frisco. You must be just fraught with anxiety as these people are surely beneath you and do not deserve to live in your precious city!

ashwi

Diamond Member
Oh the horror! I cannot believe that they still let apartment dwellers into the golden, gated walls of Frisco. You must be just fraught with anxiety as these people are surely beneath you and do not deserve to live in your precious city!
Oh let you be the judge. You decide what is right and what is wrong.

Kenda

Platinum Member
Frisco Square is a humiliation. I try to pretend it isn't there.

Same thing with our C rated mall.

Last edited:

mikel

Platinum Member
Which is why I am interested in knowing if any FEDC funding was used on this project.
Didn't FEDC blow all their money on the Cowboys? I don't think they could hand over any money even if they wanted to.

Maybe a special 'tax' area break/kickback or something, but nothing too substantial I would imagine.

This thread reminds me that Frisco is a city full of arm chair quarterbacks. We're so fortunate to be living in a growing well-planned city with a low tax rate, record breaking sales tax revenues each and every month, no political scandals, a school district that has won awards for the best school board in the state, a thriving local economy, literally hundreds of Frisco-based charities helping the less fortunate, every convenience and family activity you could think of, great museums and sports venues, a very very low crime rate (mostly just thefts from cars/garages) AND BEST YET literally thousands of unpaid volunteers (from the mayor, council, committees, boards, etc.) driving the direction of this city - while people on FOL just continually byotch about the short-sightedness of the EDC, Mayor/Council, the Cowboys facility, Frisco Square etc.

Yep - Criticize the involved, Congratulate the uninvolved.

Input is always good and welcome through any channel such as FOL - but please go back it up by meeting with city leaders, joining a city committee, speaking on the mic at a Council meeting etc.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
This thread reminds me that Frisco is a city full of arm chair quarterbacks. We're so fortunate to be living in a growing well-planned city with a low tax rate, record breaking sales tax revenues each and every month, no political scandals, a school district that has won awards for the best school board in the state, a thriving local economy, literally hundreds of Frisco-based charities helping the less fortunate, every convenience and family activity you could think of, great museums and sports venues, a very very low crime rate (mostly just thefts from cars/garages) AND BEST YET literally thousands of unpaid volunteers (from the mayor, council, committees, boards, etc.) driving the direction of this city - while people on FOL just continually byotch about the short-sightedness of the EDC, Mayor/Council, the Cowboys facility, Frisco Square etc.

Input is always good and welcome through any channel such as FOL - but please go back it up by meeting with city leaders, joining a city committee, speaking on the mic at a Council meeting etc.
You seem to always be intrigued by the Emperors New Clothes. You also assume a lot. Don't assume. Each and everyone of us are entitled to our opinions. Each and everyone of us has an equal stake in how our tax dollars are spent, and each and everyone of us will live with the success and failures of the decisions made by the few, that impact the many. Not everything this city does is perfect. Frisco Square for example is struggling, that will not be made any easier by the new development being discussed in this thread. If the city is going to invest our tax dollars in a development that will have a negative impact on an already struggling project the city has an investment in we should be able discuss that on an open forum. This forum is an appropriate channel for communicating with city leaders. As recently as this month feedback was solicited on this forum by one of them. I know from conversations I have had with other city leaders and staff they read this forum. FOL is an open mike, and it has a much larger reach than council chambers on Tuesday night. It's ok to ask questions, it's ok to disagree, it's ok challenge the government. I promise, you won't be hauled away to an internment camp in Celina for having an opinion that differs from the city leaders.

bizguy

Diamond Member

TDC, you know I have immense respect for you. IMO the city and ISD get about 95% of the decisions correct, however they are not perfect and seem to be easily swayed by personality and then fail to do the right analysis.

Quite frankly, the economic analysis performed on the Cowboys' deal was a complete joke. The more I understand about how TIRZ's work (big thanks to Rebel) - the more the analysis appears to be lacking, yet it was given as a basis for the decision to fork over a sweetheart deal to Jerry Jones. Quite frankly, my belief is that the decision was made more on the basis of our elected leaders egos and their desire to hobnob with celebrity than on sound economic fundamentals. That same funding could have spread over half a dozen projects all along the tollway or 121 or City Center or where ever and effective spread the risk of failure.

Now I am know that you and eagle and coach and others are eternal optimists, however, piiilot, myself, pearceg and the other side are probably a bit more pragmatic and see no reason to believe that this particular practice/stadium deal will work out any better than they have in other cities or over history.

Quite frankly, it remains to be seen how the deal works out and I don't intend on losing any of you people I have come to know as friends because of it. We just have differing opinions, that is all.

XOXO,

bizguy

Piiilot - leaving out of town right now, so short reply.

I AGREE that the city is not perfect - but we get much, much more right in Frisco than any other comparable city. I also agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions (but they should then follow up their words with actions - rather than continually criticizing the city from their arm chairs but not becoming part of the solution.)

I DISAGREE with you that I "assume a lot". Almost daily I write emails and texts to city leaders with questions. I read everything I can get my hands on. Last week, I spent 3 solid hours reading the city comprehensive master plan back to back to see how closely we've followed it since 2007. I've met with the city manager, mayor, EDC and FPD multiple times within the last 30-60 days with questions and concerns on city issues. I sit on multiple city commitees - I definitely do my homework - so don't make me out as uniformed - that is not a fair characterization behind my posts/thoughts.

mikel

Platinum Member

I AGREE that the city is not perfect - but we get much, much more right in Frisco than any other comparable city. I also agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions (but they should then follow up their words with actions - rather than continually criticizing the city from their arm chairs but not becoming part of the solution.)

I DISAGREE with you that I "assume a lot". Almost daily I write emails and texts to city leaders with questions. I read everything I can get my hands on. Last week, I spent 3 solid hours reading the city comprehensive master plan back to back to see how closely we've followed it since 2007. I've met with the city manager, mayor, EDC and FPD multiple times within the last 30-60 days with questions and concerns on city issues. I sit on multiple city commitees - I definitely do my homework - so don't make me out as uniformed - that is not a fair characterization behind my posts/thoughts.
TDC for mayor!

MSJ

Triple Platinum
Quite frankly, the economic analysis performed on the Cowboys' deal was a complete joke. The more I understand about how TIRZ's work (big thanks to Rebel) - the more the analysis appears to be lacking, yet it was given as a basis for the decision to fork over a sweetheart deal to Jerry Jones. Quite frankly, my belief is that the decision was made more on the basis of our elected leaders egos and their desire to hobnob with celebrity than on sound economic fundamentals. That same funding could have spread over half a dozen projects all along the tollway or 121 or City Center or where ever and effective spread the risk of failure.
Sums up the deal really well. Jerry can make you believe he's one of your best friends as he picks your pocket.

Piiilot

Platinum Member

In that short couple of paragraphs you use the word "I" 11 times. Don't assume the rest of us are not as engaged as you are in city affairs. Each of us may have our own way of gathering information. Don't assume your way of doing it is the best way - it is your way, it may not be everyone else's way. We are all entitled to our opinions. We are all entitled to express our opinions. Don't be critical because others choose a different method than yours.

My exact thoughts, why do we (non millionaires/billionaires) keep giving money to millionaires/billionaires with little to no benefit to us.
The little to No benefit to us statement is not factual and is an opinion/emotion. But i don't know if your a micro or macro economics guy, or no understanding of capital, investment or what..

If you cant see what the FC Dallas stadium, the Stonebriar mall, bringing the Riders into Frisco has done for our economic benefit, then it will seem to be that a reasonable debate will not be had. Fieldhouse, maybe not so much.. Except now the hotel being built around the field house, the tennis facility being built next door, etc.. Some people are skeptical.

The FC Dallas stadium is one of the BEST examples of Public/Private financing you will see. The amount of activity we get from the soccer tournaments, concerts, Football games, etc. is very impactful.

TDC, you know I have immense respect for you. IMO the city and ISD get about 95% of the decisions correct, however they are not perfect and seem to be easily swayed by personality and then fail to do the right analysis.

Now I am know that you and eagle and coach and others are eternal optimists, however, piiilot, myself, pearceg and the other side are probably a bit more pragmatic and see no reason to believe that this particular practice/stadium deal will work out any better than they have in other cities or over history.

Quite frankly, it remains to be seen how the deal works out and I don't intend on losing any of you people I have come to know as friends because of it. We just have differing opinions, that is all.

XOXO,

bizguy
Biz..

My somewhat optimistic in frisco opinions are based upon experience and what happens when you live in a Regressive / oppressive city and don't make the right investments.. Both from a City and School district standpoint. It's what got me to leave my home town and settle down in Frisco 17 years ago... Then I got to see the great mayor of Dallas drive the cowboys away from downtown and watch a owner spend twice the public portion out of his own 325M(arlington) pay an additional 500M of his own to create an incredible economic development vehicle. JJ put his money where his mouth was. If you can't see what putting 1B into the Arlington economy has done, then your not looking in the right spots..

Time will tell on the Cowboys benefit.. but for me, when you look at the number's, it's a no brainer.
However, I will tell you, I was glad they let NFM go.. that was extortion at it's finest.