Nebraska Furniture Mart - Home Theater Purchase

Ray

Shopped NFM yesterday afternoon, WOW!!! So much stuff a shopper's delight! Spoke with Salesman Stuart Kennedy really nice guy and very knowledgeable about HDTV's. He gave us the plus's and minus's of the Samsung plasma set we were considering. He told us the plasma was superior to the Samsung LED NFM was offering on sale. He then mentioned if DW was going to use the plasma in her Sun Room then glare would be a "BIG" issue with the plasma set. I had forgotten that glare was a known issue with plasma's.

Purchased tv at 4:00 pm saturday delivered sunday at 11:00 am, great timing. Stuart said NFM was working toward completing deliveries the same day for any products purchased by noon. We bought NFM's 55" Samsung LED smart tv with wi-fi for $687.99 and a 5 year in home service policy for $149 very reasonable pricing. The LED's color clarity and crisp crystal clear images were great! Stuart Kennedy is in the HOME THEATER area first floor or call him at 972-668-3000 Voice Mail: 972-668-0168 ext. 67905 Email: Stuart.Kennedy@nfm.com

Have a great day!

Ray

mikel

Platinum Member
they also had some nice theater seating for around $1800. Just a little more than I paid at McCabe's in downtown Frisco.

whatsthat

Diamond Member
This store certainly will no doubt adjust and change.

Appeared way over assorted. The Amazon of brick and mortar

And categories I doubt they will move forward with such as the fitness area and selling DVD movies.

I liked the store, prices seemed good, but question the viability as it is today.

TPW

Diamond Member
This store certainly will no doubt adjust and change.

Appeared way over assorted. The Amazon of brick and mortar

And categories I doubt they will move forward with such as the fitness area and selling DVD movies.

I liked the store, prices seemed good, but question the viability as it is today.
Hard to question the viability of a store and a company that has been around and successful since 1937.

The difference may be that the area is already highly saturated with other big box stores. I am sure NFM did it's homework and is certainly well capitalized, but I have to wonder where margins are going to come into play with commodity items.

Chris1771

Silver Member
I don't understand why Rooms to Go is building right across the street from NFM when they have a store down the street in Frisco. Seems like an odd move.

Best Buy sure did close up their Colony store pretty quickly at the end of last year.

whatsthat

Diamond Member
Hard to question the viability of a store and a company that has been around and successful since 1937.
and only the 4th store since 1937 ? Growth you can believe in?

Look...big difference in retail sq ft per capita in DFW compared to Nebraska. LOTS more competition here than Omaha or Clive, Iowa :sarcastic:

BTW....I wish them great success. I enjoyed going to the store yesterday. Just see adjustments being made. Even Costco has reduced their DVD offerings and their fitness equipment was low grade....can be purchased at and local sporting goods.

Last edited:

whatsthat

Diamond Member
I don't understand why Rooms to Go is building right across the street from NFM when they have a store down the street in Frisco. Seems like an odd move.

Best Buy sure did close up their Colony store pretty quickly at the end of last year.
Grandscape is eventually going to be huge.....and will draw business away from Frisco.

This should be a reminder to all of the anti Frisco economic development crowd

http://grandscape.com/

Last edited:
RTG did the same thing after Ikea opened. Slapped a store up right next to IKEA.

None of these places have anything proprietary, so they end up competing on margin. Not a great model and AMAZON can swoop in and take more tech savvy shoppers.

Nobody really needs a couch TODAY!!

Nebraska Furniture Mart will be a high-traffic location. Rooms To Go will feed from that traffic and try to get customers who come from far-and-wide to shop. Other Nebraska Furniture Mart locations have customers driving over 150 miles to shop there.

They want to be a distination for everything for the home including electronics, carpet, appliances, and furniture. But wait, there is more- they even have counter-top appliances, DVD's, exercise equipment, patio furniture, window coverings...

mattbta

Silver Member
and only the 4th store since 1937 ? Growth you can believe in?

Look...big difference in retail sq ft per capita in DFW compared to Nebraska. LOTS more competition here than Omaha or Clive, Iowa :sarcastic:

BTW....I wish them great success. I enjoyed going to the store yesterday. Just see adjustments being made. Even Costco has reduced their DVD offerings and their fitness equipment was low grade....can be purchased at and local sporting goods.
They are pretty much the anchor in The Legends shopping area at the speedway in KC, KS. Still successful.

klmills

My folks live in Moore, OK and my moms friends come down here to shop at freaking Sam Moon (I mean really, Sam Moon?) if you don't think ppl from all parts of Texas and surrounding states aren't gonna make NFM excursions, you're kidding yourself. It's more of a destination than just a big box.

LLB

Silver Member
My folks live in Moore, OK and my moms friends come down here to shop at freaking Sam Moon (I mean really, Sam Moon?) if you don't think ppl from all parts of Texas and surrounding states aren't gonna make NFM excursions, you're kidding yourself. It's more of a destination than just a big box.
Yes, this is so true!!! My sister used to come down here from Tulsa to shop Sam Moon but Tulsa now has its own Sam Moon with a different name. I have friends and family that come here for ikea so they will be coming for this new place too. I can't wait to go myself but figure it will be like Ikea for me, go once and thats enough.

I spent a l;ot of time wandering around the new NFM yesterday, getting there around 2PM.

Staff was very friendly, and not overwhelming. I really like the place. I like the way it's laid out.

One thing I came away with is NFM can be whatever you make it. Nice, inexpensive stuff, to top shelf designer made to order furniture.

By taking a lot of time, and especially exploring the upstairs area, I found all manner of high end furniture examples, with fabric samples, and so forth.

I also like all the little niche stuff, where furniture and decorating items are setup by theme.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and will be back to buy stuff.

I did have lunchtime at Subway while there.

As some previous posters have said, I have friend close to an NFM in another state, and they make a weekend trip out of it when buying furniture and other major things NFM carries. I see the same happening here.

They haven't been successful this long by accident.

jays2000

We visited twice this weekend. Saturday was crowded and felt like parking in Disney World. Sunday was much better.

I was pleasantly surprised at the selection and prices. We found a solid wood entertainment center and a sofa set for much less than we expected. The sale prices seem to be legitimate discounts, not just marked up/marked down "Sale" prices.

To other posters' points they cover all price ranges. They sell a large range of Viking products that sticker shocked me into the next department. A helpful tip on the furniture: the further back in the store, the cheaper (and more cheaply made) the furniture.

The employees are a mixed bag. Most were helpful and pleasant, but one young lady went on for a few minutes about making sure we gave her high scores on the survey, spending more time talking about that than telling us about the product.

The clearance areas in the very back have some good deals as well. We'll be back.