Nate's Icehouse - Fantastic Food just off 121/Main St

askipper

Silver Member
Stopped into Nate's Icehouse on Main Street just off 121 in The Colony today and found a little corner of New Orleans! Best crawfish I've had locally at a restaurant (David Snell's catering at Grover's for the dog shelter benefit is the exception).

The crawfish were large, seasoned well, spicy but didn't fry my mouth, firm, and easy to peel, had soaked just the right amount of time and wasn't sprinkled with all that ridiculous red powder that burns my lips off. Monday and Tuesday are $1/lb off, so it's normally $5.50/lb but today we got it for $4.50/lb, 4 lbs for $18, with one side order of potatoes and corn which are not weighed into your crawfish.

My son got a fantastic catfish and fries basket and ate every bite. We already can't wait to go back and get a dozen Gulf oysters on the halfshell for $15.95 - someone else was having them for lunch and they looked great.

We spend most of our vacation time in New Orleans and love the authentic ways of cooking Cajun food. So many area restaurants try too hard to make everything super spicy thinking that's the only way people like Cajun food (or they don't try hard enough and its mushy and bland) and often charge way too much, too. I'm sure not paying $9.99/lb for small crawfish sprinkled with Zatarains.

Nate's is the real deal - we are thrilled he's brought his icehouse concept up north. He's been running Nate's in Addison forever but decided to give Collin/Denton county diners a taste of New Orleans.

And no, I don't work there or have any "interest" in Nate's, other than I'd love to see people brave the construction and give it a try. I want him to succeed there so my Hall Office Park coworkers and I can continue to drive 6 miles for an awesome lunch!

Last edited:

Opus

Silver Member
That is a good price for the area. I haven't eaten crawfish here in years because they charge way to much for them. Last time we had them the bill was over $100 and that was no beer. It is just wrong when crawfish are more than the shrimp. I will have to give them a try in the next few weeks.

I sure wish it was like back home and they were sold on the street corners. We would just take our ice chest up there and get 30lbs and take them back home to enjoy.

kenny6

Gold Member
We got some boiled crawfish from a truck in Prosper this weekend. Its right on Preston just north of 380. The were really good. The wife picked them up so I don't know what the price was, I think it was $7/lb. I'll have to ask her. I think they are only there Thursday - Sunday. They are from La, I think the wife said Breaux Bridge.

As far as Nate's, I've been to the one in Addison quite a few times. It was hit or miss for me. I remember it being good a long time ago but the last couple times I went it was kinda meh and not authentic. He had opened a place in Fairview but it didn't last long...not sure what happened. It's Pluckers now.

Nate is from Breaux Bridge or St. Martinville, which is close to where I'm from. I'll have to give the new place a try.

Rooster

Silver Member
Nate's Icehouse - Fantastic Food just off 121/Main St

I got take out there last night. Chicken and sausage gumbo. Red beans and rice. Hush puppies. $17 for two people.

His Addison place is packed 7 days a week. It's tough to even get in the place during crawfish season.

And yes, Nate is the real deal. His food is the closest you will get to real Cajun in this town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle_rc

Gold Member
I got take out there last night. Chicken and sausage gumbo. Red beans and rice. Hush puppies. $17 for two people.

His Addison place is packed 7 days a week. It's tough to even get in the place during crawfish season.

And yes, Nate is the real deal. His food is the closest you will get to real Cajun in this town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this the same owner as Nates seafood in Addison? Or is it icehouse

Opus

Silver Member
Thanks for letting us know this was in the Colony. Went there tonight with the family and the crawfish were great and very big. We got the extra spicy and they were good and spicy. Definitely will be going back to try some of the other items on the menu. Only thing I didn't like tonight were the hush puppies. Very sweet and I like mine spicy.

erbeman

Bronze Member
I was finally able to try Nate's today with a friend for lunch. I'm a sucker for a good shrimp po boy, and my buddy got the seafood gumbo. I was not too impressed with my po boy. It wasn't anything like a traditional po boy. I guess that is what I expected from a place that only serves Cajun food. For what I got, I thought it was a bit expensive as well. It was almost $10 just for the sandwich which used those little bit shrimp. Big let down for me. My buddy's gumbo looked great, but the portion was pretty small I thought. I might give it another try and just get crawfish before the season is over. As for everything else, I'll probably continue to make the drive to Lewisville to the Bayou Market. Prices are considerably cheaper and I have enjoyed everything there that I've ever gotten.

kenny6

Gold Member
I saw Nate's post on fb. Must be bad for him to mention he has a lot of bills to pay on fb post.

When I first moved here back in early 2000s I thought the Addison one was good but I don't know what happened. It's just another imitation Cajun place now. Not good or authentic at all.