McKinney could be getting a Costco

planomateo

Platinum Member
Hardin / US380.

http://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/mckinney/business/2016/04/06/costco-heading-mckinney/

Costco one step closer to new McKinney location

McKinney City Council OKs rezoning, paves way for new retail development on US 380

By Marthe RennelsApril 6, 2016

The McKinney City Council approved a rezoning request April 5 that allows for commercial retail development at the northeast corner of Hardin Boulevard and US 380.

The site, which previously allowed residential development, could soon be home to Costco and several other box retailers, according to site developers. The item will have to come before council for an official vote and city officials said that could take place as early as the April 19 meeting.

The city is pushing for more retail developments by conducting large annexations for land reserved for retail sites and by contracting with The Retail Coach to help grow McKinney’s retail sector. According to a study done by the group, the city is losing more than $3 billion in retail sales each year to surrounding cities because of a lack of retail opportunities in McKinney.

According to the study, the city of McKinney has the potential for more than $5.76 billion worth of annual retail sales. Right now, the city is averaging roughly $2.69 billion a year.

Read more about the city’s efforts to bring in retail here (http://communityimpact.com/dallas-f...ment/2015/12/02/city-reaches-for-more-retail/).

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Now I will be able to get to 2 Costcos in under 10 minutes... just like Walmart and Kroger, neat. Maybe this will at least help with the crowding at the Frisco one.

I would be more excited if it was a Costco with an on-site Costco liquor store.

Opus

Silver Member
Now I will be able to get to 2 Costcos in under 10 minutes... just like Walmart and Kroger, neat. Maybe this will at least help with the crowding at the Frisco one.

Maybe there won't be so many people waiting for free samples at the Frisco store now. You can't get to the frozen food section for all the people waiting for the next batch of free food.

Dat Kirkland Signature booze.

cyning

The nearest Costco with a liquor store that I know of is the one at DNT and Park. It's not too far for an occasional trip from my house, especially if I throw in a stop at Torchy's for some tacos.

Last edited:

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
The nearest Costco with a liquor store that I know of is the one at DNT and Park. It's not too far for an occasional trip from my house.
Wow, I didnt know they added one to the Plano Costco. I'll have to go check it out. They usually had great prices, but limited selection. I'll just run by Total Wine if they dont have what I want at Costco.

As I understand it, the downside of Texas laws is that Costco can't sell it's Kirkland Signature line of liquors, just name brands.

They have a 1.75 litre vodka for about $14 that I understand is decent and a more expensive one that is supposedly bottled by the makers of Grey Goose.

They also have a Bombay Sapphire knockoff that is about 90% as good and just $19 a bottle...... or so I have heard. :beer:

And lastly, for those big parties at your frat, the KS beer suffices.

ve_Luz

I wished they sold hard liquor in Costco, Walmart, Kroger, etc here is Frisco.
For a city that is leaning heavily to conservative republican ideologies that are so against "regulation" and wants "government out of their lives", I don't understand why when it comes with alcohol, there are so many "city government rules and regulations".

Invader

Silver Member
For a city that is leaning heavily to conservative republican ideologies that are so against "regulation" and wants "government out of their lives", I don't understand why when it comes with alcohol, there are so many "city government rules and regulations".
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Because Jesus and Children.

planomateo

Platinum Member
And to think there were cat houses at 121 / Preston not to long ago...

Wow, I didnt know they added one to the Plano Costco. I'll have to go check it out. They usually had great prices, but limited selection. I'll just run by Total Wine if they dont have what I want at Costco.
They added the liquor stores to both Plano Costco locations. Their selection isn't great but you can get basics there.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
Because state law doesn't allow liquor sales in stores that sell groceries, not city government.

Which my wonderment also applies, Texas as a state is leaning heavily to conservative republican ideologies. Which makes me wonder more.
Left over from the blue laws nonsense when some people thought they needed to control people.

Why can car lots only be open 6 of 7 days ? Why not be open all 7 if they want? Most close Sunday which means people lose have the weekend if they need to look for a car. Let the business decide how many days to be opened not the state.