Mattress Shopping

bluesea718

Double Platinum
Has anybody bought a bed through Costco recently? They have two Kirkland (manufactured by Stearns & Foster) mattress sets, and the reviews are mixed. Since they aren't set up in the store, I can't really test them, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger & buy them because Costco has such an awesome return policy. I've read of other people having mattress problems and Costco actually sent the delivery service back to pick it up instead of making the people haul it back to the store.

I've been to Mattress Firm & Sleep Experts a few times and I've found some beds that I really like there. Sleep Experts negotiated a little bit but they're still charging $6400 for 4 beds, which is really steep to me.

I've read & researched this exhaustively and it seems that mattresses have a huge markup, so I should be able to negotiate a lot more. Has anyone done this with success? How?

Do you have a mattress that you love? What is it? I have tried others but I keep swerving back to the Beautyrest line.

jsutter

Bronze Member
Has anybody bought a bed through Costco recently? They have two Kirkland (manufactured by Stearns & Foster) mattress sets, and the reviews are mixed. Since they aren't set up in the store, I can't really test them, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger & buy them because Costco has such an awesome return policy. I've read of other people having mattress problems and Costco actually sent the delivery service back to pick it up instead of making the people haul it back to the store.

I've been to Mattress Firm & Sleep Experts a few times and I've found some beds that I really like there. Sleep Experts negotiated a little bit but they're still charging $6400 for 4 beds, which is really steep to me.

I've read & researched this exhaustively and it seems that mattresses have a huge markup, so I should be able to negotiate a lot more. Has anyone done this with success? How?

Do you have a mattress that you love? What is it? I have tried others but I keep swerving back to the Beautyrest line.
We bought a Serta iComfort back in October from Mattress Firm on Preston. Was able to negotiate about $400 off the price and get free delivery, it wasn't much considering the overall price of the mattress, but they also have a 1 year, unlimited return policy if you don't like your mattress

In 2010, we bought a double twin XL adjustable (pushed together, makes a king) Simmons ComforPedic Mystere set from Sleep Experts. You wouldn't need to do the two twins because it is just you, but it is the BEST sleep we have ever gotten. It is really comfortable memory foam that recovers quickly (GREAT for a side sleeper) & dissipates heat whereas other types capture & keep the heat which is uncomfortable during the summer.

It isn't cheap, but considering that we can both sleep through the night & wake up without back pain, it is worth it. It is amazing how much poor sleep effects your health.

ETA: Looks like the Mystere is no longer available...the Lanai or Key Largo seems to be the replacement.

Last edited:

BrianC

Silver Member
I used www.sleeplikethedead.com also to get more info.
Also http://www.themattressunderground.com/ has lots of info.

We ended up buying an all latex mattress from the mattress factory in Ft. Worth. (and love it)
http://www.themattressfactory.com/
He imports the latex and they make the beds there at the factory. He'll make them with different layers of different density latex if you want to make them stiffer or softer. The nice thing is they are 100% high quality latex. When I was looking at other mattresses, they were constructed of some latex or memory foam but also other layers of just cheap foam. Nearly impossible to find out exactly what the materials and density is of some of them.

Also, the costco in east plano had the kirkland mattresses out where you could lay on them (at least they did a couple weeks ago)

Walrus

Bronze Member
Bought a Novaform memory foam mattress from Costco 2 years ago. Best purchase we've ever made. We'll never go back to traditional mattresses.

No ********ting.

http://www.us-mattress.com/

The mattress industry is so corrupt it's not even funny. There are three names when it comes to mattresses (excluding the foam stuff) and they all use the same scummy tactics.

Their prices are hugely marked up, and the local stores play along and have weekly sales saying that they are getting rid of inventory or this or that.. It's all ********.

The big 3 mattress companies set the bottom line prices that retailers can sell their products for, so technically there isn't a store that can offer a price below what the manufacturer says they can, but they can set their retail prices at any amount above those numbers.

On top of that, the manufactures will give 10 different names for the same product and sell it to different retailers under the different names, making it impossible to compare prices between retailers because the names don't match up, though the products are most likely identical.

From what I've read up on this whole hell of a scam of an industry, sites like us-mattress.com will typically have the lowest non-******** prices, and you can probably find some coupons and other 'deals' that will knock the prices down even more. Rather than working on commission like a brick and mortar store, the online stores really don't have to deal with that crap, and the prices are insanely lower.

just my $0.02.

Also, these sites do free shipping and don't have sales tax in Texas.

Last edited:

David

Platinum Member
Not discounting anything Bluekross just said. In fact, I pretty much agree. That said, I just checked us-mattress.com, and they are $300 higher for the same model of iComfort from Serta that I just bought last night at Mattress Firm. They were the same price on the pillows we bought, so I guess you'd at least save tax and shipping there, bu then that might have factored into the overall deal I did in person. So it's definitely a YMMV kind of thing. Regardless, I can't imagine buying a bed sight unseen, so you would still need to go to the brick and mortar places to test ride and decide what you want before buying online.

Anybody remember waterbeds? lol

I swear nothing has ever been as comfortable as the waterbed we used to have back in the 80s. I don't even know if anybody sells them anymore but wow, were they ever comfy. :lazy:

bluesea718

Double Platinum
Yep, I remember my old waterbed....What a pain to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up taking my quote from Sleep Experts to Mattress Firm and got it knocked down to $5000 plus tax. Still a LOT of money but it is four beds, including a Beautyrest Black (mine), which I absolutely adore.

Not discounting anything Bluekross just said. In fact, I pretty much agree. That said, I just checked us-mattress.com, and they are $300 higher for the same model of iComfort from Serta that I just bought last night at Mattress Firm. They were the same price on the pillows we bought, so I guess you'd at least save tax and shipping there, bu then that might have factored into the overall deal I did in person. So it's definitely a YMMV kind of thing. Regardless, I can't imagine buying a bed sight unseen, so you would still need to go to the brick and mortar places to test ride and decide what you want before buying online.
Yeah, I agree, the prices that are on the us-mattress site might be higher than what you paid in store, but I know us-mattress runs a lot of coupon codes and overall has some of the best prices. Wish I could give better details, but I'm just going by word of mouth and what I've read online. I've yet to use them.

van

Diamond Member
Yep, I remember my old waterbed....What a pain to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up taking my quote from Sleep Experts to Mattress Firm and got it knocked down to $5000 plus tax. Still a LOT of money but it is four beds, including a Beautyrest Black (mine), which I absolutely adore.
Holy smokes! Did they come with underwear models too????

OKTX

Triple Platinum
Anybody remember waterbeds? lol

I swear nothing has ever been as comfortable as the waterbed we used to have back in the 80s. I don't even know if anybody sells them anymore but wow, were they ever comfy. :lazy:

I think this guy still sells them....