Manners

Rebel

Diamond Member
Just stop calling me "young man" - I occasionally get called that by restaurant servers or retail clerks.

When I was a boy, I was occasionally addressed as "young man" - no offense taken. Then no one called me "young man" from probably about age 14 to 40. Then it started all over again.

Now they say it with a smirk like it's funny. I find it a bit insulting.
Whatever you say Pops. :fight:

Kenda

Platinum Member
Just stop calling me "young man" - I occasionally get called that by restaurant servers or retail clerks.

When I was a boy, I was occasionally addressed as "young man" - no offense taken. Then no one called me "young man" from probably about age 14 to 40. Then it started all over again.

You know what they say about the progression of life. You begin in diapers...

perseco

Double Platinum

Kindly remind them your name isn't Benjamin Button. ;)

I taught my boys to address strangers as Mr. & Mrs., unless that person gave them permission to do otherwise. If a child told me no, I will call you Mrs. ........, after I told them they could call me by my first name, I would be taken aback by that. I will tell you that in my hood there are children that call me Mrs. ....... that do not behave at all and their parents need to be working on other things with them and I have kids that call me by my first name and behave like angels. So, in the grand schema of things - that is not a HUGE thing on my list. It is their overall behavior that I honestly look at for a child and not weather they call me Mrs. or first name.

I think OP is making a mountain ouf of a mole hill. I think by default kids should intitally address adults as Mr/Mrs/Ms but if requested to address them differently should do so.

I think it is actually rude and disrespectful to tell your kids to keep addressing an adult in a way they do not want and have actually requested you not use.

Again, if an adult has an issue with it, they need to talk to ME. In my original post, I requested that they not make the request of my child. This is no different to me than if you don't like a curfew and tell the child they can disregard it because you think it is too early.

My children are NOT allowed to make that call. We have rules, they must follow them. If an adult has an issue with it (which some have), we address it until a happy medium has been reached (by the adults). The children are then told what the adult prefers to be called. I am not saying I am going to shove the title down your throat, but I will ask you to respect MY rules and speak to me -- not the child-- regarding this matter.

As for the ma'am and sir, it is ingrained. I use it to any adult I don't know well. As for you not being a knight, I am not calling you Sir, but sir. One is an honorific title, the other is just good manners. =)
Not the same as curfew in any way. One impacts how I am being addressed. The other is none of my business.

Same here, but when I married into my husband's family, everyone there (including my husband) called their Aunts and Uncles by their first names. It was so awkward-feeling to me that sometimes I just would just make eye contact before asking a question so I didn't have to use their first name without a title.

Personally, I think this blurring of respect nowadays is one of the reasons kids think they are entitled to so much. Calling someone by his/her first name implies s/he is your peer...but kids and adults are not peers. They just aren't.
See I don't equate how someone is addressed to being or not being a peer. At work everyone is on a first name basis. From CEO all the way down. There are a lot of people I don't consider a peer but that has nothing to do with using first names.

eyeamdaman1

Platinum Member
I hadn't really thought about it until I saw this thread - I have over 50 nieces, nephews, great-nieces and nephews (two as old as 38) - and everyone of them calls me Uncle Rick. Yet we never asked them too. I guess our family (both sides) have just led by example since they were toddlers. (I'd have no issues with the adult ones just calling me Rick - but no one has ever asked, and I guess they're in their comfort zone.)

Everyone of my kids' friends (ages 20-25) call me Mr. Xxxx when they stop by our house - again no urging on our part. So I guess some parents are still installing manners lessons. Again, never thought about it until today.
Off topic, I mean really really off topic. I'll be the first to say I'm slow, so I don't need the pile on but you and everything about you seems to be very similar to the guy formally known as Sticky Davis(that line is even part of your daily quip).

If you are he/him, why the secrecy with the name changes and such?

I'm confused and I feel like I just violated the TOS.

I'm sure I'll be told - just for asking.

Ok, back to your originally scheduled program.

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
I think we could use a little more respect toward everyone, including adult to adult.

I also teach my children that they should address people properly, Mr. Mrs, and say yes sir and yes ma'am, until they are told otherwise.

I think we all have a tendency to do more for kids who are respectful, I just feel like helping them to be successful when they are polite.

I think that holds true in the business world as well.