Living with your house abutting a golf course ??

Looking at a house that has a yard that abuts a golf course. Any drawbacks or pluses ? It looks like there is a gate that opens to it (I may be wrong but am only looking online) and if there is, are the kids allowed out there ? Is Plantation resort brook farm a good area to live ? We have three kids , 7th and 5th grade plus a toddler.

I won't be out to see houses til may 9th but my husband has started looking and we are not sure if we should jump on a house that I haven't seen other than online. They seem to sell so fast !

Black Bear

Silver Member
Exactly -- if you're on a tee box, you're good and it's nice to have a scenic view. Otherwise you live at the peril of getting hit by an errant ball --- or having your house/windows hit. And the golfer is not legally responsible for any damages, as many can attest. So you live there at your own risk. Many homeowners put up extremely large (and I'm sure expensive) nets.

We had a golf course lot for 9 years and were positioned by the green. Never once had a broken window, although we found several golf balls in our yard over the years. We loved having that view! Only sold our house becuase we needed more room and it sold in 4 hours.

debw712

Diamond Member
My dad lives on a golf course in AZ. He rides his golf cart out of the tiny golf cart specific garage and down past his yard to the green.

He doesn't have a net, never had a broken window either. He loves it! I've been out in his pool for hours watching the golfers and it's far away enough that its never been an issue.

The best chance of getting a house hit is down fariway from the tee. Most errant shots are from there. The closer you are to the tee or the green, the safer you are. That doesn't mean you can't get hit; just your chances are less.

In many of the golf course communities, nets are prohibited by the HOA. I know some have sued the HOA for the right to put them up and won but others haven't. If I were worried enough to want a net, I'd probably not buy the house.

When I bought a house in McKinney on the golf course, I asked the pro shop if I could go hit balls from the tees. Anywhere I could hit into the yard, I ruled out the lot. It ended up, I could hit into the yards on all the really good lots. I ended up going around the corner to the next tee box. But the funny thing is, my front door got hit by a golf ball and nothing in the back.

Our house is on a golf course. We really like it. During spring and summer I like to sit outside and watch the golfers. Without a big wooden fence along the back property line or a big two story house immediately behind you - we really like the feeling of having open space in our backyard.

We live on the fairway and the first couple of years we had a broken window about once every other year. Call me stupid but I just chalked it up as the price to live on the golf course. Over the years we have covered the windows facing the course with lexan so we have not had any broken windows in a long time. I have come
close to getting hit a few times but never have.

During the evenings it is so quite an peaceful in our back yard. I don't think I would buy my next house
in the fairway though. When we originally bought the house we got a really down town deal on it so I'm
not complaining

Fuzzy

Bronze Member
Sent you a PM. We have lived on the course in Plantation for 12 years. Overall very happy, but there are some lessons to be learned.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
With the gate, will golfers becoming in and out of your yard? Of course you can lock it up but is there anything in the HOA about it?

What kind of house and price range are you looking for? I would never "jump" on a house if you aren't 100% sure. There are homes coming on the market daily. May and June will be huge months for home to hit the market because many people are waiting until closer til school is out (like we are).

4 or 5+ bedrooms with a study. large kitchen, gas range, normal size pool, grass fenced area for kids and dog, game room, laundry room. Kitchen Island, breakfast bar, dishwasher, lots of outlets, ceiling lights, central air and heat

In Frisco, Plano, or Richardson. The less carpet the better. 2 + car garage. Shaded area outside near pool hopefully. Salt water pool would be great but a must.

I also wants a house with walls and rooms. I know that sounds stupid but I have seen so many online with arches where there should be walls and no separation between room whatsoever. I don't want to see the whole house from the front door or hear my kids playing video games in the playroom while I am in the kitchen or study. I know I won't get it all but hopefully I will get the important ones. We have 4 kids, two are moving with us maybe 3, 4th is in college and we are in the process of adopting internationally so we'll add one more while living there. Job is currently in Frisco but will be moving to Addison by the end of the year we have been told.

Between 300 and 400 k but hoping to stay lower. Looked at a few Flower Mound homes but don't know bad the drive from there would be to either job location. I will be down Mother's day to look at houses and hopefully will be selling our house here before I move. Moving from NH and we don't want to be paying two mortgages. Would love to have a house with kids around my son's ages, no kids near me at all now. Their close friends are at least a town away.

Green225

Platinum Member
There are only a handful of holes on Westridge that do not have homes bordering the fairways. As you wind your way through the course, it is hard to not notice that many of these homes are constantly being bombarded by errant shots from the tee boxes and fairways. Homes that have siding on the upper levels sport pockmarks galore and/or chipped paint and there are many homes that have cracked windows with masking or duct tape holding the glass together. One of the first times I played there, I hooked my tee shot on #1 and held my breath as I watched it descend toward a beautiful 2 story about 220 yards away. There was a thunderous crack - like a gunshot - when it hit the roof. Scared everyone in our foursome. Luckily, no broken windows and I actually found my ball several yards inbounds adjacent to the backyard fence. Have not had a stray ball in the 16 months since.

My dad lives on a golf course in AZ. He rides his golf cart out of the tiny golf cart specific garage and down past his yard to the green.

He doesn't have a net, never had a broken window either. He loves it! I've been out in his pool for hours watching the golfers and it's far away enough that its never been an issue.
And the golfers like watching you as well.

Ever see a phone pointed in your direction?

Smile

4 or 5+ bedrooms with a study. large kitchen, gas range, normal size pool, grass fenced area for kids and dog, game room, laundry room. Kitchen Island, breakfast bar, dishwasher, lots of outlets, ceiling lights, central air and heat

In Frisco, Plano, or Richardson. The less carpet the better. 2 + car garage. Shaded area outside near pool hopefully. Salt water pool would be great but a must.

I also wants a house with walls and rooms. I know that sounds stupid but I have seen so many online with arches where there should be walls and no separation between room whatsoever. I don't want to see the whole house from the front door or hear my kids playing video games in the playroom while I am in the kitchen or study. I know I won't get it all but hopefully I will get the important ones. We have 4 kids, two are moving with us maybe 3, 4th is in college and we are in the process of adopting internationally so we'll add one more while living there. Job is currently in Frisco but will be moving to Addison by the end of the year we have been told.

Between 300 and 400 k but hoping to stay lower. Looked at a few Flower Mound homes but don't know bad the drive from there would be to either job location. I will be down Mother's day to look at houses and hopefully will be selling our house here before I move. Moving from NH and we don't want to be paying two mortgages. Would love to have a house with kids around my son's ages, no kids near me at all now. Their close friends are at least a town away.
The ride from Flower Mound to Frisco wouldn't be too bad...about 25 miles and about 35 to 45 minutes dependent upon traffic. I lived in Flower Mound in a prior life...if you spend a lot of time flying out of DFW then a great place... Now, if you want to drive to
Addison from Flower Mound I personally believe that it is a disaster...If you want to test it then start from Flower Mound at 7 to 9 am on a workday morning and see if you want to deal with it. Quite different than driving on NH roads unless one drives Route 3 between Nashua and Massachusetts or route 95 between Portsmouth and Massachusetts or the Everett Turnpike South.

Frisco to Addison, straight down the Dallas North Tollway is a relatively easy drive with alternative North to South routes (with lights/stop signs) available if Tollway is jammed.

The ride from Flower Mound to Frisco wouldn't be too bad...about 25 miles and about 35 to 45 minutes dependent upon traffic. I lived in Flower Mound in a prior life...if you spend a lot of time flying out of DFW then a great place... Now, if you want to drive to
Addison from Flower Mound I personally believe that it is a disaster...If you want to test it then start from Flower Mound at 7 to 9 am on a workday morning and see if you want to deal with it. Quite different than driving on NH roads unless one drives Route 3 between Nashua and Massachusetts or route 95 between Portsmouth and Massachusetts or the Everett Turnpike South.

Frisco to Addison, straight down the Dallas North Tollway is a relatively easy drive with alternative North to South routes (with lights/stop signs) available if Tollway is jammed.
my husband has spent the last 5 years driving from Newbury Nh to Boxboro, MA every day. About 2 hrs each way, we are trying to stay under 30-40 minutes max.

You might want to give me your phone number so I can give you warning before I show up at Plantation. I've killed a duck (amazingly enough his neck cause my ball to land in the middle of the fairway). I almost hit a man in his yard brushing his dog. And honestly, I'm typically a middle of the fairway hitter. Plantation is very narrow with many small yards.

I used to think I'd love to live on a golf course until I started playing golf.

dmp9898

Silver Member

Job is currently in Frisco but will be moving to Addison by the end of the year we have been told.

Moving from NH and we don't want to be paying two mortgages. Would love to have a house with kids around my son's ages, no kids near me at all now. Their close friends are at least a town away.
Frisco, Plano and Richardson covers a lot of territory. If you are moving and the job will also be moving you may want to rent a place for a year to get your bearings and make the choice of where is best for you. I'm not sure I would call Richardson convenient to Addison where as Flower Mound and maybe Coppell may be.

jsutter

Bronze Member
Looking at a house that has a yard that abuts a golf course. Any drawbacks or pluses ? It looks like there is a gate that opens to it (I may be wrong but am only looking online) and if there is, are the kids allowed out there ? Is Plantation resort brook farm a good area to live ? We have three kids , 7th and 5th grade plus a toddler.

I won't be out to see houses til may 9th but my husband has started looking and we are not sure if we should jump on a house that I haven't seen other than online. They seem to sell so fast !
Only if you want them to possibly get hit by a golf ball or piss off some golfers who are trying to play golf with kids running aorund the golf course.

I was playing a scramble there last weekend and on one of the par 3's there were kids running around by the green playing with the mom just sitting there in the shade watching them. When we got to the green the kids were running aorund the fringe being loud and carrying on while we were trying to putt. I said something to the "adult" about keeping kids off the green while people were playing and she just gave me a blank stare...