Lipstick on a Pig

Piiilot

Platinum Member
For those who keep using the "need" word. Well, to be clear, yes, FISD did need a 3rd venue for football games. So, the need was real. Just like we needed a 2nd one when Toyota stadium was in the works. Someone said we should be adding a few bleachers to our practice fields and just use those locations for varsity games and that not that many people come to football game anyway...hmmm. First of all, have you been to a Friday night HS football game lately (or ever in Texas?)...people do come. No, they don't fill a 15-20k seat venue, but there are lots of people there. Any of you seen the addition they are just now completing to the visitor side of Memorial Stadium? It's pretty substantial and clearly a need since most district games are home games for both sides anyway. The campus fields are well used for football practices, 9th grade games, soccer, etc. The deals with FC Dallas and the Cowboys are not about size they are about filling a need and, really, perfect timing. If either of the two pro teams had come a couple years later, FISD would have already move forward with building a HS level field to handle the growth. As far as parking goes, I believe I read in some of the information that parking for HS events will be free of charge, and I have no idea how concessions will be handled.

I just about deleted this post and moved on from this dead horse...the deal is done...there's no turning back now...I just wish I had time to compile all of the data to compare a FISD built venue construction costs and maintenance for 20-30 years vs. what was spent to "rent/use" pro-level fields for that same time-frame. Those numbers, when compared on paper, I would hope would sway the nay-sayers and/or people like me if the numbers go the wrong direction.
This is a dead horse, the concession revenue is controlled by Jerry, but there is a clause in the agreement that they have devise a means for Booster Clubs to generate revenue. The cost of a high school stadium similar to Memorial is 15-18 million, and can be used for band competitions, track and field and soccer, so we could have had 2 for the price of the dome. Your point is well taken, but the reality is we spent the money because wanted to - our kids NEEDED an 18 million dollar stadium that can be be used for more than 30 days a year. When your community is flush with cash you can do excessive things, we are so we did.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
Exactly. Since when did need have anything to do with the precious children of Frisco? Or their parent's egos? (we don't want Allen lording over us..heck no!) Is it a Need? No. Is it part of the huge growth in Frisco? Oh yeah! Being a food dork (hopefully they will have the bar thing going too..close to home growler fill-up is a good thing) I am interested in Wholefoods moving in.

All-in-all it will benefit us all. Need? Nope. A positive? I think so.

kenny6

Gold Member
Yea, I could live in a trailer and drive a 30 yr old Nova too but I don't.

Just to give some perspective, my tiny hometown of 1000 people in deep south La just got astroturf on their field this year.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Yea, I could live in a trailer and drive a 30 yr old Nova too but I don't.

Just to give some perspective, my tiny hometown of 1000 people in deep south La just got astroturf on their field this year.
Little Elm's stadium was 18 million. It's not a 30 year old Nova.

Mom+4

Silver Member
So Little Elm spend $18M in 2005/2006. A decade ago. Call me crazy, but construction costs have gone up a little since then. Was that all-inclusive = Parking lot and everything? And where did you get the $18M figure? What was proposed...or REALLY spent?

And, Little Elm has to pay for the M&A for that stadium, where Frisco does not. In the end...Frisco ADDS $$$$ back into the coffers - $$$ not subject to Robin Hood - with this deal.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
So Little Elm spend $18M in 2005/2006. A decade ago. Call me crazy, but construction costs have gone up a little since then. Was that all-inclusive = Parking lot and everything? And where did you get the $18M figure? What was proposed...or REALLY spent?

And, Little Elm has to pay for the M&A for that stadium, where Frisco does not. In the end...Frisco ADDS $$$$ back into the coffers - $$$ not subject to Robin Hood - with this deal.
That cost was all inclusive, it came from the meeting minutes from Little Elm, and I am sure you are not suggesting that a stadium that cost 18 million would cost 35 million today ? Saying that stadium adds money back into the coffers is like saying your house has never been buglarized because you have an alarm system.
I think we are at a point though, where we can all agree it IS a stadium, not a multi use event center.

Mom+4

Silver Member
This was done with a special tax district. The property tax from this disctrict pays back the bonds for this project. The does NOT come out of the exorbitant property tax the FISD already levies on our property (yes, I know it is the lowest around...still think it is high)

Once the bonds are paid off - the FISD gets those property taxes and those taxes (as I understand it) are grandfathered and NOT subject to Robin Hood (where a portion of our taxes go to the state to be given to districts with less means - for the newbies to Texas).

But - let's say the FISD bought land and built a less expensive stadium (say... $25 million - constructions costs have jumped significantly since 2005). Well the bond repayment of this WOULD come of out the property taxes. Plus the M&A.

With the stadium deal - we get to use a first class football stadium when needed (and I'm with Pilot, the "mulit-use" spin is for PR), we don't pay ongoing expenses and no funds come out of the FISD budget for the construction expense. And the way the lease deal works, the lease revenue goes to FISD and is not subject to Robin Hood.

It's not just a football stadium. It is an entire complex with shopping, restaurants, hotels and business towers. That is a ton of revenue coming to Frisco on an ongoing basis.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
This was done with a special tax district. The property tax from this disctrict pays back the bonds for this project. The does NOT come out of the exorbitant property tax the FISD already levies on our property (yes, I know it is the lowest around...still think it is high)

Once the bonds are paid off - the FISD gets those property taxes and those taxes (as I understand it) are grandfathered and NOT subject to Robin Hood (where a portion of our taxes go to the state to be given to districts with less means - for the newbies to Texas).

But - let's say the FISD bought land and built a less expensive stadium (say... $25 million - constructions costs have jumped significantly since 2005). Well the bond repayment of this WOULD come of out the property taxes. Plus the M&A.

With the stadium deal - we get to use a first class football stadium when needed (and I'm with Pilot, the "mulit-use" spin is for PR), we don't pay ongoing expenses and no funds come out of the FISD budget for the construction expense. And the way the lease deal works, the lease revenue goes to FISD and is not subject to Robin Hood.

It's not just a football stadium. It is an entire complex with shopping, restaurants, hotels and business towers. That is a ton of revenue coming to Frisco on an ongoing basis.
Point of clarification - we don't get to use it when we need it - we get to rent it back from Jerry on specific days set forth in the Master Development Agreement. Just about 30 days a year.

Mom+4

Silver Member
Point of clarification - we don't get to use it when we need it - we get to rent it back from Jerry on specific days set forth in the Master Development Agreement. Just about 30 days a year.
I think you may be mistaken as to who writes those lease checks:
From the master agreement: (bolds are mine)

Lease of Stadium Facilities. Contemporaneously with the execution of the
CMR Contract, the City shall enter into a lease agreement substantially in the form set forth
in Exhibit E attached hereto (the "Stadium Facilities Lease") with Blue Star, pursuant to
which [B]Blue Star will lease the Stadium Facilities from the City according to the terms of the
Stadium Facilities Lease to promote the Public Use.

Rooster

Silver Member
The spin on this deal is eyerolling.

I just wonder who got season tickets out of this deal to give Jerry this epic swindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piiilot

Platinum Member
I think you may be mistaken as to who writes those lease checks:
From the master agreement: (bolds are mine)

Lease of Stadium Facilities. Contemporaneously with the execution of the
CMR Contract, the City shall enter into a lease agreement substantially in the form set forth
in Exhibit E attached hereto (the "Stadium Facilities Lease") with Blue Star, pursuant to
which [B]Blue Star will lease the Stadium Facilities from the City according to the terms of the
Stadium Facilities Lease to promote the Public Use.
Keep reading - blue star leases from the city for 100 grand annually, then Blue Star will allow the School District and City to lease it back for like 4,500 each time they use it - which equals 100,000 dollars plus - so it's a wash to Jerry, we pay his rent

bizguy

Diamond Member
Not to mention Jerry's putting the difference into the project above what the city did, so we're getting a stadium/venue worth twice what we outlayed.
Not to pick nits, but little Johnny didn't need a stadium half that nice to play in, so it being worth twice whatever is a moot point...

Mom+4

Silver Member
Keep reading - blue star leases from the city for 100 grand annually, then Blue Star will allow the School District and City to lease it back for like 4,500 each time they use it - which equals 100,000 dollars plus - so it's a wash to Jerry, we pay his rent
Please share a link to such document. I am not finding it on the document online.

There are 12 HS football games (excluding playoffs) per season. Assuming an equal split of home & away games, this means that there are 6 Friday nights which will be used by FISD. If the Varsity teams play on Thursday, that gives us another 6. So now we're up to 12 nights out of 365. Let's assume play off runs and we're up to - what? - 20 nights out of 365? Chuck in HS graduation ceremonies, soccer games, band competitions, Pin Day (whatever that is) and FISD will have use of this facility for no more than 50-ish days/nights per year. Any additional event that FISD wishes to host at the stadium will have to be blessed by the Cowboys beforehand and the former will have to pay $4,500 per event plus all costs associated with security, ticketing, etc.

So, FISD is spending $35M on a facility it can use for maybe 50 days/nights per year. I cannot see how any school district can justify this.