Lipstick on a Pig

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Good article in this mornings Dallas Morning News about the construction of the Cowboys complex. Lots of questions arise out of that article - but that is for another time. What I am most humored by is the fact the city is calling the Stadium a "Multi-Use Event Center." I think this is a chicken sh*t way of trying to hide the fact that the city leaders and school district are spending $35 million tax dollars in taxpayer dollars to build a domed football stadium for our high school kids to play football in.
This is politics at its finest - you had the balls to spend the money - don't try to hide what you spent the money on from the rest of the world.

Meanwhile city is proposing a flat tax rate for FY2016, meaning everyone sees an 8 to 10% tax increase. The mayor will tout we have held the tax rate meanwhile we get screwed with 10% jump in the tax bill.

Ummm...it actually IS a multi-use event center. How is calling it that hiding anything? I don't think they have ever hidden the fact that they invested city and FISD dollars for the rights to use this stadium. You will see HS football games there (FISD and I am sure it will draw HS playoff games) along with many other "events". I cannot imagine Jerry will let that place got to waste, I am sure it will end up being a nice place for concerts and other larger events. It is a great investment for the city and the FISD. The district money that went into this project/use agreement is smart money when compared to the dollars that would have been invested in a new district stadium. Both Toyata and Cowboys stadium give our district very nice facilities for our use without any of the on-going day to day, year to year maintenance costs and headaches.

Ummm...it actually IS a multi-use event center. How is calling it that hiding anything? I don't think they have ever hidden the fact that they invested city and FISD dollars for the rights to use this stadium. You will see HS football games there (FISD and I am sure it will draw HS playoff games) along with many other "events". I cannot imagine Jerry will let that place got to waste, I am sure it will end up being a nice place for concerts and other larger events. It is a great investment for the city and the FISD. The district money that went into this project/use agreement is smart money when compared to the dollars that would have been invested in a new district stadium. Both Toyata and Cowboys stadium give our district very nice facilities for our use without any of the on-going day to day, year to year maintenance costs and headaches.
LOL So naive Westsider.. You think Pilottttt will deal with facts on this issue? He is convinced the evil empire is taking Frisco to the cleaners.. Interesting.. IMHO. The district is the biggest winner in this gig. The 30M wouldn't cover the cost of the 3rd stadium required to build and maintain for first 5 years, none the less 30 years. Additionally, using capital to reduce 30 years of O&M expense is brilliant if you understand Texas school finance. It puts 750k to 1.2M a year back into the operating budget that would come out without the public private deal. \\

Rebel

Diamond Member
Not to mention Jerry's putting the difference into the project above what the city did, so we're getting a stadium/venue worth twice what we outlayed.

Furthermore...."Earlier this month, Frisco agreed to buy the 43,000-square-foot conference center that’s being built as part of the 16-story Omni Frisco hotel. The hotel will then lease the conference center space and operate it on the city’s behalf."

Anyone care to estimate the kind of long term revenue this one lease agreement could generate?

On the bright side, $35m for a domed stadium for our kids is almost half what Allen paid, with no dome and crappy concrete. But hey, my glass is half-full today :)

LOL So naive Westsider.. You think Pilottttt will deal with facts on this issue? He is convinced the evil empire is taking Frisco to the cleaners.. Interesting.. IMHO. The district is the biggest winner in this gig. The 30M wouldn't cover the cost of the 3rd stadium required to build and maintain for first 5 years, none the less 30 years. Additionally, using capital to reduce 30 years of O&M expense is brilliant if you understand Texas school finance. It puts 750k to 1.2M a year back into the operating budget that would come out without the public private deal. \\
The fallacy is that we needed a $30M stadium. Let's be clear we don't need one, we want one.

DS plays soccer at several FISD high school venues and they all have a multi-use field (already can handle football) already built with concession area that could be used for HS games. They could build risers on the other side of field and they already have lockers/bathrooms on site that could be used. Instant stadium at just about every high school. Is it state of the art, top of the line ? No but it works just fine for athletics - which is not the PRIMARY mission of the education system. It is a nice to have.

This was setup at my high school and it worked just fine. Given the number of people that actually show up for FISD games the jerryworld stadium is just too big.

Not to mention Jerry's putting the difference into the project above what the city did, so we're getting a stadium/venue worth twice what we outlayed.
The math still makes no sense because we did not NEED at venue worth that much to begin with. We WANTED the big fancy venue, full stop.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Yes, it is a Multi use event center like the library is a storage facility for processed wood products. It is a stadium. Don't believe me - look how many times the word stadium has been used in response to my post.

Opus

Silver Member
How are they going to decide which HS teams play there? Can they change the games if a better team has a more high profile game for that week. What if there is a game there and Jerry has an event come up, does his event trump the HS game?

Rebel

Diamond Member
How are they going to decide which HS teams play there?
Up to the ISD

Can they change the games if a better team has a more high profile game for that week.
Would assume so, since its up to the ISD.

What if there is a game there and Jerry has an event come up, does his event trump the HS game?
All spelled out in the contract with the Cowboys. Certain days during the school year are blocked out for ISD use, procedures are spelled out for any other days

Piiilot

Platinum Member
How are they going to decide which HS teams play there? Can they change the games if a better team has a more high profile game for that week. What if there is a game there and Jerry has an event come up, does his event trump the HS game?
The school district can rent the stadium on Thursday and Friday nights during regular Football Season - about 24 days. They can also rent it on Saturdays for Football Playoffs. In addition the school district can rent the stadium for the pin ceremony, and they can rent it for graduation. Those are the only dates spelled out in the agreement. Any other use by the school district for soccer, band competitions etc., is at Jerry's discretion.

The City can rent the stadium for 1-3 day event of their choosing, as long as it does not conflict with anything Jerry has going on, they can partner with Jerry for 2-3 day events, and they can rent it for 3 one day events as long as it does not interfere with anything Jerry has going on - it is all at his discretion.

With respect to the scheduling, I think they set the schedule at the beginning of the season and with as many high schools as we have, and as few places as we have for them to play, I would be shocked if they try to move games once they are scheduled. I think they are going to focus on making sure everyone gets to play in the stadium fairly.
Oh and I am calling it a stadium because in the master agreement - the governing document between the city and Jerry - it is identified as a stadium.

pearceg

Diamond Member
I'm guessing Jerry is going to get the profits for the overpriced parking and concessions at this private/ public joint venture.
That's the formula for public-private "partnerships." The public "partner" pays all the costs while the private "partner" keeps all the revenue. Although to be fair, such scam agreements are hardly unique to Frisco.

For those who keep using the "need" word. Well, to be clear, yes, FISD did need a 3rd venue for football games. So, the need was real. Just like we needed a 2nd one when Toyota stadium was in the works. Someone said we should be adding a few bleachers to our practice fields and just use those locations for varsity games and that not that many people come to football game anyway...hmmm. First of all, have you been to a Friday night HS football game lately (or ever in Texas?)...people do come. No, they don't fill a 15-20k seat venue, but there are lots of people there. Any of you seen the addition they are just now completing to the visitor side of Memorial Stadium? It's pretty substantial and clearly a need since most district games are home games for both sides anyway. The campus fields are well used for football practices, 9th grade games, soccer, etc. The deals with FC Dallas and the Cowboys are not about size they are about filling a need and, really, perfect timing. If either of the two pro teams had come a couple years later, FISD would have already move forward with building a HS level field to handle the growth. As far as parking goes, I believe I read in some of the information that parking for HS events will be free of charge, and I have no idea how concessions will be handled.

I just about deleted this post and moved on from this dead horse...the deal is done...there's no turning back now...I just wish I had time to compile all of the data to compare a FISD built venue construction costs and maintenance for 20-30 years vs. what was spent to "rent/use" pro-level fields for that same time-frame. Those numbers, when compared on paper, I would hope would sway the nay-sayers and/or people like me if the numbers go the wrong direction.