Kirkland Brand Dog Food - Costco

dmp9898

Silver Member
Thanks, I have seen that link before. Was just wondering if anybody had heard anything about it lately. We have a couple dogs that look like they have been getting sick lately and we are tracing it back to the food. Since over 100 people have viewed this and no responses I am going to assume this may be a one off situation but am still taking the unused stuff back in for a refund. Thanks all.

Kenda

Platinum Member
My dogs got lethargic and started having kidney issues from Waggin Train bones. This was several years ago before the whole world started crying foul on them. The minute I saw the first article about the "made in China" foods, I took them off all China-related foods. Within a few weeks, they both came back to life like normal dogs. I stick strictly to Blue Diamond, Dentley's and Mother Hubbard's now. I'm sure there are other good brands out there, but I have to go with the ones my dogs will eat.

Stay away from the made in China products.

sundae

Gold Member
Thanks, I have seen that link before. Was just wondering if anybody had heard anything about it lately. We have a couple dogs that look like they have been getting sick lately and we are tracing it back to the food. Since over 100 people have viewed this and no responses I am going to assume this may be a one off situation but am still taking the unused stuff back in for a refund. Thanks all.
Although, from reading the label contents, this looks like a good food, I know that there have been recalls in the past. I refuse to buy the food or recommend it because it's in the Diamond Foods family, which is infamous for the melamine contaminated products that killed many pets a few years ago.

ETA: It's probably not fair to trash a food without offering an alternative or two. I always heartily recommend Fromm brand, Precise brand and Honest Kitchen. There are others, but these are my go-tos. Paw Depot in Frisco, as well as Hollywood Feed in McKinney, have a wide selection of wholesome foods, plus they have knowledgeable staff to guide you in the right direction.

Yes, premium foods are more expensive, but typically you feed less of it and your dog's health benefits (resulting in fewer visits to the vet). Whole Dog Journal comes out with a list of approved dry and wet foods every year. www.wholedogjournal.com

Last edited:

LisaY

Bronze Member
My kids have sensitive tummies. I found that Natural Balance limited ingredient duck and potatoe work well for them. Just offering that up. :)

Uhmm Chicken bones, table scraps and carcasses have always done the trick for us.

You would think there was some Neaderthal making dog kibble 2000 years ago.

Dog food is a modern invention like McDonalds Big Mac for dogs. Real food has been around as long as dogs existed.

sundae

Gold Member
Uhmm Chicken bones, table scraps and carcasses have always done the trick for us.

You would think there was some Neaderthal making dog kibble 2000 years ago.

Dog food is a modern invention like McDonalds Big Mac for dogs. Real food has been around as long as dogs existed.
Lots of people raw feed and/ or feed human food. Not all dog food is akin to McDonalds. And feeding chicken bones is just a bad idea. Bones, good idea....chicken bones, bad.

sundae

Gold Member
My kids have sensitive tummies. I found that Natural Balance limited ingredient duck and potatoe work well for them. Just offering that up. :)
I used to love this food for my personal dogs and my foster dogs. I referred people to it all of the time. But then, they sold to Del Monte and I was not comfortable with that at all. Many people are still unaware of the sale and others aren't concerned, so to each his own.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/natural-balance-sold-to-del-monte/

Have seen to avoid Kirkland... Dogs were dying on it..
Buffalo Basic is great... And, no chicken bones... 100% pure pumpkin is a great addition to their kibble... Not the pumpkin with spices...

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
My Rat Terrier has been eating the Kirkland brand from Costco for the past 5 years or more.
The only time he's ever needed to make a visit to the Vet was for routine checkups and to get his shots.

He's 14 years old and runs around with the same energy he had as a puppy.

brianw76

Silver Member
My Rat Terrier has been eating the Kirkland brand from Costco for the past 5 years or more.
The only time he's ever needed to make a visit to the Vet was for routine checkups and to get his shots.

He's 14 years old and runs around with the same energy he had as a puppy.
Yep, been using Kirkland for the last 10+ years exclusively with zero issues. It's a good brand at a good price, but if you listen to some of these people it sounds as if dogs are dropping left and right from eating it.. hah

Have seen to avoid Kirkland... Dogs were dying on it..
Buffalo Basic is great... And, no chicken bones... 100% pure pumpkin is a great addition to their kibble... Not the pumpkin with spices...
As sensitive almost completely wacked out people can become about pets, I bet every dog that has died has at one point ate some kind of dog food. So did that particular brand cause the death?

Please refrain from the commercial for BB food and show us some links about how dogs have died from Kirkland dog food please.

bard

Gold Member
Sundae posted some links pertaining to the mfg of Kirkland's pet foods along with her personal concerns. She stays up on pet related issues better than I do, so I give her opinion a lot of weight. YMMV

LLB

Silver Member
I'm hearing and reading some pretty bad stuff about Blue Buffalo in the last few months so I've decided to stay away from them for now. I'm looking for a good venison only protein source dog food but having a hard time. I'm considering going back to Solid Gold products. My Danes loved Solid Gold, I even drove to Tulsa every 9 weeks and bought 10 bags cause it was so much cheaper than here (visited family also). My yorkies haven't had Solid Gold but I think next week I will give it a try.

One of my yorkes has a sensitive tummy, if she eats to much protein or anything other than her prescription food my house looks like a CSI show, blood it everywhere. I don't like the script food and feel its not really healthy for everyday use.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good food for this type if issue?

sundae

Gold Member
As sensitive almost completely wacked out people can become about pets, I bet every dog that has died has at one point ate some kind of dog food. So did that particular brand cause the death?

Please refrain from the commercial for BB food and show us some links about how dogs have died from Kirkland dog food please.
Want to see whacked out? I present~ http://truthaboutpetfood.com

Many pet parents~ yup, I called them "pet parents"~ like me know that the pet food industry comes with lots of issues. The truth is that dogs eat packaged and canned dog foods because it's convenient for the owner. Decades ago, they ate what we eat~ wholesome, fresh food right off of the table. Even today, those foods are still best for our pets.

The problem is that not many people are good at determining what constitutes a healthy diet for themselves, let alone their pets. It takes research and a concerted effort to balance a mealplan for a dog or cat. So, like many other people, I feed a kibble.

But I take a calculated risk and feed the absolute best that I can. Can a dog live for years off of "garbage" foods? Sure, but just like I am not going to give my grandkiddo Coke as a mainstay, when I know that water is a much better choice for when he is thirsty, I am going to try my best to offer my pet a healthful diet.

BTW, that link I included in this post has an option where you can sign up to receive warnings when food has been recalled.

ETA: And here is the link to read about past recalls~ http://truthaboutpetfood.com/category/pet-food-recalls/

Last edited: